PDA

View Full Version : Been in the shop for months waiting for finish

Jeff Nicol
12-01-2010, 9:26 AM
This piece is from a Black cherry root burl that I brought home a couple of winters ago while out cutting some fire wood. The tree had blown over in a storm and was just waiting for me to come along and bring it to the shop. I roughed turned that week and last year some time I finish turned it and did some sanding on it but never completed the process untill this week. It is a little under 10" across and 7" high with 2 coats of antique oil so far. It has a ton of character with a bunch of "Eyes" lots of knots from the roots and the void at the opening. Once I got paste all the sand and grit that was in every little nook and cranny it went faster with not so much sharpening!

So what do you think, good enough for a Christmas present? I hope someone comes to the gallery and has to have it for someone special!

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

Richard Madden
12-01-2010, 9:41 AM
It sure is good enough for a Christmas present. In fact, send it to me and I'll put under the tree and even act surprised on Christmas morning!! Seriously though, great piece and some beautiful wood.

John Keeton
12-01-2010, 9:42 AM
Jeff, that is a wonderful piece, and the sphere/globe shape is perfect for it to show the character of the wood. I bet it won't last long at the gallery.

Faust M. Ruggiero
12-01-2010, 9:43 AM
Jeff,
You can give it to me for Christmas and I promise not to return it. According to my family I am notorious for returning gifts. Really sweet looking piece. Anyone you give it to will be very pleased.
faust

David Reed
12-01-2010, 9:47 AM
Lovely wood and shape. Plus the finish is perfect. I have often thought of turning a root but feared the rocks and sand. Should be off the shelf in no time.

David DeCristoforo
12-01-2010, 9:54 AM
It's very cool Jeff. Amazing that something so beautiful could be made from what, from the outside, must have seemed like a pretty funky piece of wood. But the simplicity of the form is the "bell ringer" here.

bob svoboda
12-01-2010, 9:55 AM
Lovely piece Jeff. Character is an understatement for that wood. Hope the right person comes along to claim it.

Tim Rinehart
12-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I like it, and enjoy hearing how it sat around in various phases. I'm starting to accumulate stuff that's been started and put off to the side, waiting for me to come back to it.
Patience pays off, well done, and I like the finish especially. May not make some of the character pop as much not being glossy, but pieces like that are a joy to just hold.
Happy Holidays!

Ken Hill
12-01-2010, 10:13 AM
You did it justice!!!:D

Doug W Swanson
12-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Jeff,
Excellent work. I'm sure it won't last long....

Steve Mawson
12-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I would think it would make a great Christmas present. Looks like a dandy piece.

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Very nice work Jeff! You sure brought that piece of wood to life! Best of luck with your sales!

Mark Hubl
12-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Jeff,

A very interesting piece of wood for sure. Lots to look at. The sphere shape is very pleasing. Should make a terrific gift!

dan carter
12-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Very nice job. Am sure it will be under someone's tree soon.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-01-2010, 10:45 AM
What a gnarly looking orb with a lot of character!

Excellent Christmas present! Well done Jeff.

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Jeff that is a great looking piece. I really like the shape and finish looks great.

steven carter
12-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Jeff,

Very nice HF, and will make a great Christmas present, but one word of warning.... I wouldn't let the LOYL get a look at it or it might not make it out of the door!

Steve

Michael James
12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Gnarly, round, great finsish with lots of character...what's not to love?
Good job as usual. If it doesn't sell, let me know and I'll find a home for it!
Michael

David E Keller
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
I love it... All the grain variations and voids make the piece for me. I love the simple shape(not so simple to make).

Baxter Smith
12-01-2010, 1:31 PM
Very nice Jeff. A one of a kind piece!

Jeff Nicol
12-01-2010, 8:41 PM
I did one other of these and it was a vase that had the bottom a root burl from a small Red Maple that we took out of our yard. It was mostly creamy white but it had hundreds of little eyes in it like a burl and I added a Black Walnut neck to the top so it ended up about 11" tall and 8" through the base. It was the first piece I sold at a gallery that was not a miniature. It went for $225.00 so I was pretty happy, I hope this one will bring a good price also, I never am sure what to put on them for prices sometimes, but so far so good I guess.

My wife wants to keep everything I make and she has 40 or more sitting around the house and 2 cases full of miniatures. So just like the last one I posted (The carved Red Oak vessel) that she claimed, as soon as someone sees them and wants to buy them out the door they go! The carved one is on its way to Texas with one of the large bird houses I made a month or so ago that she also had laid claim to. I will never get out of my debt to her, but like they say, "For better or worse" and she keeps loving me better the worse I get!

I dug up another cherry root ball but it was not as nice as this one and was much bigger, but had a lot of tangled roots and a ton of dirt imbedded deep in it. I did manage to save a couple blanks out of it and will get to them some day.

Thanks all for your kind words,

Jeff