PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill Recomendations

Jay Jolliffe
12-01-2010, 5:54 AM
My wife's been wanting a treadmill for awhile now. So while she was at Wallmart two weeks ago she decided to have me look at what they had. They had a brand by Gold's Gym.....I thought they made good stuff & no computer on hand to do the research so we bought one for 400.00.Yes I do know you get what you pay for. The first one didn't work & the second has to much motor noise. I'm looking for one that's somewhat quiet. Not one that I can hear down stairs running. So if any one here has one that's quiet & their happy with it let me know.

John Coloccia
12-01-2010, 7:02 AM
Checkout www.treadmilldoctor.com.

I have had a SmoothFitness Eliptical for a couple of years and have been fairly impressed with the quality.

Glenn Clabo
12-01-2010, 7:34 AM
We have had a Pacemaster...Proselect model for at least 6 years. We use it 5 times a week. We've had to replace one roller...do to a dummy (yes that's me) making the belt too tight. It was a $100 lesson...but I also had a chance to talk to a tech. The main plus to this one...it has a self lubed belt.

David Weaver
12-01-2010, 7:38 AM
Add an L to John's link.

I have a sole E55 elliptical. My toes don't allow me to ride an elliptical no matter how the treads are adjusted (learned that after a couple of months), but the quality of the machine is enough I wouldn't be afraid to buy a treadmill from them.

I would, however, go through the ratings online. When I bought my elliptical, $1,000 was about the lowest you could go for a good elliptical that is whisper quiet and comfortable to use, and $1,500 was about the bottom end of the price range for the recommended treadmill. You get what you pay for, and if you use it a lot, you will get your money's worth out of it.

Matt Meiser
12-01-2010, 8:05 AM
There's always lots of fitness equipment on Craigslist here. Often at dramatically lower prices than new even though its seen light use. Like the elliptical machine we got rid of a few weeks ago. :)

John Coloccia
12-01-2010, 8:09 AM
Add an L to John's link.

Fixed, thanks :)

David Weaver
12-01-2010, 8:38 AM
Fixed, thanks :)

No problem, that's a good site. I looked at it a lot when I was figuring out what to buy.

Prashun Patel
12-01-2010, 9:12 AM
When I researched mine about 7 years ago, it was hard to find unbiased info. The Smooth treadmill gets good reviews, but I always suspected the sites that gave it good reviews were run by the company that makes those treadmills. I could be wrong; I'm just sayin' be wary.

Pacemaster and True were good brands.

Ultimately, I went with a Vision Fitness treadmill. They were great value and have held up wonderfully (my sister has one too).

I would counsel you to get one that is light on the electronics; that's the first thing to go on many machines.

Belinda Barfield
12-01-2010, 9:22 AM
I have a Proform 585S. It's about 7 years old and still going strong, although it isn't getting used right now as much as it should. :rolleyes: It isn't exceptionally quiet, but not really that loud unless I'm running on it. I like that it has a built in fan. It can also be linked to ifit.com. I think I paid around $700.00. Here's a link to one review.

http://www.treadmill-ratings-n-reviews.net/proform_585_treadmill.htm

John Pratt
12-01-2010, 9:34 AM
In addition to what others have said, you also have to take into account the size of the person using the treadmill. At 6'3", 220lbs. the treadmills you see in most of the stores are crap for me. for people of "larger" size, you have to go for something more robust like what they have in the gyms. Nothing worse than running on a treadmill and the thing rocks, slides, and moves around like an earthquake. Of course the cost of these machines is considerably more.

Ben Franz
12-01-2010, 12:49 PM
+1 on Pacemaster - we have a Silver Select that's about 5 years old. It's in a dusty area and keeping the belt/deck clean is important but not burdensome. Very sturdy unit that handles my less than anorexic weight easily. When used in the normal mode (i.e. as a clothes rack) will last indefinitely. It wasn't the cheapest, nor the most expensive. If at all possible, look for used via CL - MANY people buy machines that outlast their commitment. Some dealers and service techs have side businesses that sell refurbished equipment for reasonable prices.

Cary Falk
12-02-2010, 6:21 AM
We have had a Pacemaster...Proselect model ...

We have this one also for probably about the same amount of time with no issues.