PDA

View Full Version : Tool Handles

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 11:01 PM
There have been a couple of threads today with hollowing tool questions. I use a goodly assortment of tools for hollowing (can one have too many tools?), but some of my favorites are my Stingers. The one annoyance for me has been having to change handles. I have the DP pistol grip and a heavy Hosaluk style Oneway, but changing the handle when turning annoyed me.

So...made up some handles for the stingers and misc tools. I wanted to be able to use the handles for shop made tools and possibly some unhandled tools (maybe Santa will make a stop at Doug Thompson's to pick up some stocking stuffers!).

I used some nice ash billet and buffing wheel arbors. The arbors have a little over 1" of socket. This was a concern, but after making and testing one I think they will work for my purpose. Three have a 5/8" socket and one has a 1/2" socket. By buying a bunch of different shaft bushings they will accommodate a wide variety of tool sizes. Hosaluk markets an insert that will allow you to insert more tool length into the handle. If mine prove problematic I will try one of his design. Anyway, I think these are going to work well.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5222243095_e9643acee4_z.jpg http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5222243087_b4709454c9_z.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
12-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Looks like they ought to work out great for you! Nice detail work!

Bernie Weishapl
12-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Nice looking handles and tools.

John Keeton
12-01-2010, 6:35 AM
Mark, very nice looking handles!! Is that a little "vortex" tool I see in the mix??

Roland Martin
12-01-2010, 7:28 AM
Very nice handles and tools. Too many tools? Does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle?

Steve Vaughan
12-01-2010, 8:19 AM
Love the idea there, Mark. I bought a large, long gouge, unhandled figuring I'd make me a nice handle for it. Did that, glued the gouge into it, and there you go...a really nice long-handled gouge. Then I realized that when I go to sharpen this thing, just how far out this thing goes and how in the way you can be when sweeping it across the grinder. Your handles here are exactly what I was thinking would be a better option - to be able to remove the gouge from the handle to make it easier to handle at the grinder! Thanks for the inspiration!

Robert McGowen
12-01-2010, 9:09 AM
I have not seen that before. Great idea and execution.

Mark Hubl
12-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks guys.

Steve, If you want to go deep into your handle check out the Hosaluk inserts.

Is that a little "vortex" tool I see in the mix??

Thanks John. Yes that is my take on a "vortex" tool. Don't know if the grind is any where near correct. Just starting to play with it.

bob svoboda
12-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Nice job on the handles! I just got a set of Scorpions and am going to make my own handles. What size drill bit did you use? Seems to me it's in between sizes-do I need to look at metric sizes?

Mark Hubl
12-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Nice job on the handles! I just got a set of Scorpions and am going to make my own handles. What size drill bit did you use? Seems to me it's in between sizes-do I need to look at metric sizes?

Bob,

The arbors I used have a 1/2 x 20 thread that is a little over 2" long. I drilled a 31/64" hole in my handles. On three it was tight enough to thread them in, on the small one I used some epoxy as well. Here is a link to what I used:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#buffing-wheel-arbors/=9yjxyf

I think the Scorpion stuff is 3/4", but I would have to check. I did not see arbors that are that large. I think Hosaluk makes a 3/4" insert. So does Oneway. Have fun.

Ryan Baker
12-01-2010, 7:47 PM

Scorpions are 3/4" and Stingers are 7/16".