PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

Marshall Harrison
12-31-2004, 8:04 PM
I've just been over to another forum (one some of you guys visit too) and it really makes me appreciate the people hanging out in the Creek.

First let me say I have a new Craftsman hybrid. I really l like it even though I understand that it has no history yet. That was my choice. I took the gamble and I'll either sink or swim with it. I don't want to be belittled or made fun of every time I post.

On the other forum it seems that every thread regardless of the question or original comment quickly breaks down into a bashing of CM, or newbie bashing or the members deriding each other for some stupid thing or another. One question, 8 answers and 42 posts that are simply garbage.

Saw Mill Creek is not like that and I simply want to say thank you to everyone for keeping things civil. We don't always agree but no one tries to belittle others for what equipment they own or how new they are.

Thanks and Happy New Year. :) :) :) :)

Jim Dunn
12-31-2004, 8:25 PM
I for one don't know enough about what I'm talking about to do anything but take from this web site. And I appreciate all the kind answers to my newbie questions also.

Mark Singer
12-31-2004, 8:29 PM
keep hang out....everybody here is great! Nice and helpful...a lot of knowlege and people that are willing to share it...I apprecite SMC more now than when I started....its the people that make the difference. They share humor when its time to laugh...and lend a shoulder for the sad times...Sometimes we actually meet and for all other times we are really together at SMC...

Ted Shrader
12-31-2004, 8:29 PM
Marshall -

Happy New Year to you and yours. I certainly second your sentiments about the atmosphere here at the Creek.

Regards,
Ted

Don Selke
12-31-2004, 9:29 PM
Marshall:

Happy New Year to you my friend and make all your tools work for you. This site is a great place to hang your apron and your hat. Great bunch here at the Creek.

Tim Morton
12-31-2004, 9:45 PM
I think I know the site you are talking about, and I'm always shaking my head whenever I read things that are said to people who ask questions or try and discuss woodworking. I was pointed toward this place a year or so ago by one of its best, and I visit everyday to keep tabs on what all these great people are up to in there lives. ALL good people here!! But there are a few that get real nasty when tools are mentioned and pictures are not provided....so in our eyes you don't even own a tablesaw till we see pictures of it. :D

Karl Laustrup
12-31-2004, 9:58 PM
I have to agree with all that's been said so far. This is a great place to hang out. We all enjoy, OK love, woodworking. Some for profit, some for pleasure.
We have different ideas about the equipment we use, but that doesn't mean we can't respect each other for their choices.

Questions are answered and choices are offered. It then is up to the individual to make their own decision. What is right for one is not necessarily right for another.

While I know of some of these other wood forums, I haven't even wanted to check them out. This was the first forum I found, with the help of 'Spring', aka John Miliunas[thanks Spring]. I'm very pleased with the quality of information found on this site.

I feel I have people all over the country [and Canada, Frank] that were I to be in the area, I could let them know I would be coming and be welcomed with open arms.

Thank you Creekers.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

aurelio alarcon
12-31-2004, 10:01 PM
This is a great website! I liked this website so much that I wanted to see if there were others like it. And I did not find one that even came close. Everyone here is helpful, understanding and kind, and, most importantly, respectful. As to the issue concerning Craftsman tools, I , unlike many other woodworkers, happen to love Craftsman tools (as well as other brands)! Finally, I have read nothing but positive reviews about the new line of table saws that Craftsman has to offer. All of these reviews have been written by well respected woodworkers in well respected periodicals. But everyone will have to establish their own opinions. More power to you!

Scott Parks
12-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Glad you like to reside here! Let me add more garbage to the heap:D. And let the world know that I OWN MANY CRAFTSMAN TOOLS!!!! :):):)

Am I proud of some? YES. Do others cause me to kick and stomp around like child cussing at them? YES. My TS served me well for 5 years, and it has cut a million board feet in it's 30 life, but may it rest in peace.....

Marshall, keep us updated on your saw! I'm sure it will last as long or longer than my antique CM saw. I was considering buying the hybrid, but settled on a green machine instead.

Also, thanks to all SMC'ers who contribute to meaningful advice. I have taken more knowledge here than anywhere else!

John Miliunas
12-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Gee, awful hard to add to all those comments and the feelings which many of us share with you, Marshall. Sure, there are other WW forums, most of which have some fantastic information to be found. But, as you point out, far too often, you need to weed out much of the garbage and bashing posts to get to the good stuff. That's the beauty of SMC. We've all had opportunity to laugh, share, learn and contribute without the need for bashing. :) The caring people have for one another here is almost without bounds. About the only time I even check out any other forum is when someone recommends a *particular* thread and that's about it. I just see no reason to go elsewhere. This has been "home" to me since its inception and will remain so for as long as the administrators and members are willing to continue putting up with me!:D Happy New Year, to ALL!:) :cool:

Jim O'Dell
12-31-2004, 10:42 PM
"Ditto" what everyone else is saying. If you think the other site is bad, look int some of the yard/garden tractor sites. I go and read when I need a chuckle!!!
Ki,.

Dale Thompson
12-31-2004, 10:42 PM
Marshall,
I haven't been "there" in over a year. It's kind of like Iraq was a few years back. One person speaks, the cronies agree and the rest are either "slaughtered" or banished from the "tribe". :eek:

We can thank our lucky stars for the great folks at SMC who keep the pH of the "CREEK" neutral and warm enough for everyone to just dive in. :) :)

Hey Spring, it sounds like your new name is catching on! Even with Karl's help, however, I doubt that it will fool the FBI, KGB, CIA, C5, etc., for very long. Stay on the run, bud. ;) :) :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! -- EVEN "SPRING". :D :D

Dale T.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-31-2004, 10:47 PM
I know what you mean. I have a BT3100 and posted that one day and got ripped, called a cultist, etc. Didn't much care for it. It is what I could afford and does what I need it to do.

Terry Hatfield
12-31-2004, 11:03 PM
Marshall,

Interesting isn't it??? Each forum has it's own flavor and some people will go as far as the rules, or lack there of will allow. I honestly enjoy many forums but SMC is my first home. I have many, many friends on other forums but sometimes I just have to shake my head at some of the things that go on. This place was set up this way form the very beginning. Real names, real people trying to be helpful without all the extra. Then again there are many who like the confrontational aspect of some the forums as well. Personally I enjoy all of them but you are certainly not going to get hit over the head here for having a CM saw. I am very interested to see how these saws do in the long term. That should be no problem at the rate they are selling them to folks who post on the forums. There will obviously be a good base for making a long term decision in a year or two. I truly think it is nice looking saw. It is certainly a big step for CM.

t

David Klug
12-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Ditto to all that has been posted!! Just want to wish you all a Happy and Prospeous New Year!!!!!!!

DK

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2005, 9:43 AM
Marshall.....Over a year ago, I replaced an old Cman that served me well for over 20 years. It was an old direct drive model that the bearings were worn out and the on/off switch/circuit breaker had become an intermittant problem. At my wife's insistance, on the the spur of the moment, we are in the Borg and the sale is over in an hour, I bought a new saw. 5 months later I found the Creek and I might not have bought the same saw today. However, after buying the saw, I did join their forum and others. Today, I seldom frequent the other sites for the same reasons you stated. I bought a saw that I could afford. Not everyone can afford a MM, laguna or high end model. In my case, I could afford one but I have a hard time justifying the additional expense for a hobby in which I'm just starting out....building furniture. The old Cman was fine for the remodel projects of the past but did not cut accurately enough or consistantly enough to build furniture. Plus, I am using the additional money I would have spent on the t/s to finish my new shop and then.....b/s.....d/c.....bigger planer (get rid of the model of an aircraft carrier and get a real aircraft carrier) etc. As stated above....being able to express ideas or ask questions without uncivil criticism or ridicule is one of the greatest characteristics of the 'Creek! Neat people....diverse in skill levels and personalities....respectful.......I keep coming back!