PDA

View Full Version : Router motors 4" in diameter

Jay Jeffery
11-30-2010, 9:16 PM
I've got a router lift that is designed to fit the Porter Cable 7518 production router. It's a pricey beast with a 4" diameter motor.

Are there any other routers, past or present, that have this same motor diameter that would fit the lift without adapters?

Mark Rakestraw
12-01-2010, 6:48 AM
Hi Jay, Bench dog makes adapters for their Prolift series that are essentially bushings that take the 4" opening and reduce it to 3.5" and 3.2". Here's an Amazon link to the 3.5"
http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-002-ProLift-3-5-Inch/dp/B00005RKNX/ref=sr_1_66?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1291203806&sr=1-66

Mike Heidrick
12-01-2010, 8:04 AM
what brand lift do you have. They may make busings as well.

Woodpecker makes them for many of their lifts. You could also make your own out of HDPE material if needed.

Matt Meiser
12-01-2010, 8:11 AM
Amazon has the 75182 motor (which is the 7518 without a base) for 275.37 right now. That's what I bought for my table and after a few different smaller routers I can tell you its a world of difference.

Doug Carpenter
12-01-2010, 8:21 AM
I wish I had known about those earlier.

I am mounting my third router to my gunstock duplicator. I have used muffler clamps and it always takes alot of work to get the router to sit right. Alot of them are not totally round so it takes some work.

It looks like those bushings take out the bumps.

Jay Jeffery
12-01-2010, 10:49 AM
what brand lift do you have. They may make busings as well.

Woodpecker makes them for many of their lifts. You could also make your own out of HDPE material if needed.

It's a Jessem Mast-R-Lift.

I have a Hitachi that I made an adapter for. It uses a 3.25" motor. The adapter was made out of some 1/2" mdf that I cut slots in so that it wraps around the router. It is not perfectly perpendicular, but it is pretty close.

I don't have a shop to set it up in right now (apartment living is not ideal), but I see a lot of old routers on Craigslist. If there were an older model or 2 that would fit without adapters, I could watch for them. I would really like one that is single speed without soft start so that I could mount an external speed control.

When I am working again I may just search the pawn shops for a 7518 for a decent price.

pat warner
12-01-2010, 1:23 PM
No known alien 4" motor barrels extant, 'cept 7518/19.
Not what you need, but PC did make a special 4" motor for Onsrud with a mile long barrel, an exclusive for them. But, maybe something on CL or ebay x now.