PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshave buying advice

Dan Karachio
11-30-2010, 8:15 PM
While I am not making chairs or anything fancy yet, I think I would like to buy a straight and curved spokeshave. Call it my Christmas present to myself. I see Lie Nielsen has some, Lee Valley/Veritas has some and I am sure many others. Any opinions or recommendations please?

Darnell Hagen
11-30-2010, 8:53 PM
I've got the Veritas pair (http://thewayiwood.blogspot.com/2010/07/new-gets_10.html), and like them a lot. The flat one stops working pretty quick on inside curves, and the curved one doesn't work as easy as the straight on flats, so they are a very complimentary pair.
I think the most important thing for any shave is a tight mouth.

john brenton
11-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Although I can't really vouch for it personally, I've heard good things here on the forum about the Veritas low angle shaves. I usually don't buy new tools...in fact I can't remember the last new tool I bought, but I'm thinking about this one. It's time for a new shave.

While I am not making chairs or anything fancy yet, I think I would like to buy a straight and curved spokeshave. Call it my Christmas present to myself. I see Lie Nielsen has some, Lee Valley/Veritas has some and I am sure many others. Any opinions or recommendations please?

Ken Masco
12-01-2010, 2:26 AM
I bought a terrific spokeshave made by Russ Filbeck (russfilbeck.net). It has a Hock blade and a beautiful Black Cherry handle for ($150). It has a great heft, fine control, and beautiful finish. I'm very happy with the performance of the tool. I've taken a few classes with Russ at the Palomar Community College, he is a well known celebrity in these parts a fine craftsman, and old school perfectionist who builds great chairs and a very fine Spokeshave. I highly recommend it

James Owen
12-01-2010, 2:32 AM

The LNs are very nice shaves, but they are finishing shaves. If you're looking to remove a fair amount of wood in a hurry, take a look at the Stanley 151s (like the LNs, they are available in both flat and curved sole versions); with a bit of tuning, they'll work quite nicely and will quickly shape a piece of wood. Then you can use the LN(s) to put the final surface on it.....

Jim Koepke
12-01-2010, 3:33 AM
I have a pair of old Stanley #51 and #63. They work fine so far. Someone also gave me a pair with adjusters. I am not sure if they are AMT or Kunz, but they are junk.

Just my 2¢.

jtk

Russell Sansom
12-01-2010, 4:58 AM
Ron Hock has blades and instructions for a spoke shave on his website. I like the thumb screw adjustment over tap-tap-tap adjustments, but that's just me.

John Coloccia
12-01-2010, 6:45 AM
Personally, I like the Veritas over the LN spoke shaves, though they are both very nice. They also don't necessarily compete with each other. The LN is a smaller spokeshave.

Paul Saffold
12-01-2010, 7:08 AM
http://www.ncworkshops.com/

prices starting at $99, less for kits, for wooden spokeshaves using Hock blades. An advantage to this style is being able to set one side of the blade for a fine cut and the other side for a deeper cut.

Check out his website. Even if you don't buy one of his, there is good information there.

I have one and have been very happy with it. Paul

Harry Goodwin
12-01-2010, 9:37 AM
I have a number of spokeshaves. I have come to the final conclusions that are purely personal.
My LN is beautifully made and as mentioned before made for fine work. The instructions mention this with idea of filing down the mouth for a larger cutting tool. I have been relucktant to do it but like my stanley better. sorry. I have many LN tools not a bad one in the bunch.
I have several small spokeshaves made in my patternmaking days by others and love them.
I have other smaller shaves sold by one of your favorites and I love the three of them. Harry

Andrew Gibson
12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I inherited a Stanley 51 this summer from my Fiancees aunt, along with a few saws and clamps and such. I have to say I really like it. You can find them for pretty cheep at flea markets and antique shops.

Adjusting it takes a little practice, but no more then any other tool with or without an adjustment mechanism.

Im looking for 51r to "round" out my collection...

Dan Sheehan
12-01-2010, 11:54 AM
I have two Stanleys that work well. I liked them just fine until I took a class at Mike Dunbar's Windsor Chairmaking Institute and discovered a NH made tool called Dave's Shaves. Dave makes really nice wooden shaves that are a pleasure to use. I have no affiliation with Dave whoever he is.

If you want to spend $25, find that old Stanley and tune it up nicely. If you want to play Bach out of the box, look up Dave's Shaves. As I said, the Stanley works too. However, I wish I saved the $50 plus rehab labor on the two Stanleys and spent the $100 on the new one first. If I had known.

I'm finding that new tools are often the best bargain. I still buy old ones and fix then up as best I can, and even make my own sometimes. But for performance for price (including blood sweat and tears), new is often better. Just one man's opinion.

Good luck. Dan

Mike Davis NC
12-01-2010, 11:56 AM
I like the Stanley #151 which is the screw adjustable one. I paid $12 for mine, needed sharpening. I have used it for 10 - 12 years now and still like it the best.

I also have a dozen other shaves of various brands and models, all bought at flea markets and junk shops. I probably have less invested in my dozen shaves than the cost of one LN or Veritas.

If you feel the need to upgrade then get the Hock replacement blade.

But, now I have to say I buy tools to use not to set on the shelf and look pretty. So, if that is what you want go for the LN.

Roy Griggs
12-01-2010, 12:56 PM
KCWTW...also makes nice shaves. I use Stanley's metal shaves most of the time, but also have several that I've made using Hock blades and some homemade 01 blades.

Spokeshaves are ridiculously easy to make...google John Gunterman's Teach Shave for plans.

Jim Koepke
12-01-2010, 1:12 PM
I inherited a Stanley 51 this summer...

...Im looking for 51r to "round" out my collection...

Chuckle chuckle, rounding out the collection.

Just now looking at the pricing on the 51r as compared to the 63.

I have the 63 and they are not as rare as the 51r. Do you know if there is much difference?

The 51r was only made from 1936-1941 which likely accounts for its rarity.

jtk

Steve Friedman
12-01-2010, 2:07 PM
I agree that it depends on what you're using it for.

For hogging off lots of wood, I don't think there is anything better than the super-sized Veritas spokeshave. The size makes it easier to keep level than the others and the mass just makes it fun to use. I use it anytime use it first I just ordered a Veritas drawknife because I found myself using the supersized spokeshave for stuff that really needed a drawknife.

My favorite rounded spokeshave is the LN small bronze one. The sole has a 1-1/2" radius. The larger LN has a 5" radius, so it's really only good for gentle inside curves. The Veritas rounded shave has a small 1-3/4" radius, but just feels less effective for tight curves.

For the regular sized spokeshaves, I agree with John Coloccia about preferring the Veritas over the LN. The Veritas is just so much easier for me to adjust. The LN comes out when the others need sharpening and I don't want to stop to sharpen.

I tried the Veritas low angle shave, but couldn't get the hang of setting it up.

Good luck.

Bill Houghton
12-01-2010, 3:39 PM
Chuckle chuckle, rounding out the collection.

Just now looking at the pricing on the 51r as compared to the 63.

I have the 63 and they are not as rare as the 51r. Do you know if there is much difference?

The 51r was only made from 1936-1941 which likely accounts for its rarity.

jtk

The 63 is smaller and lighter than the 51r, with a thinner iron. Mine works pretty well, in spite of its more delicate nature, though.

Andrew Gibson
12-01-2010, 4:43 PM
haha no I did not know that Jim. I was reading somewhere that the 51r was the one i want and not 52 as many assume... or something like that.
to be honest I have yet to come across a round bottom shave in the wild sense I have been looking, about 4 months now.

Bill Houghton
12-01-2010, 6:32 PM
KCWTW...also makes nice shaves. I use Stanley's metal shaves most of the time, but also have several that I've made using Hock blades and some homemade 01 blades.

Spokeshaves are ridiculously easy to make...google John Gunterman's Teach Shave for plans.

Kansas City Windsor Tool Works' website now says it's out of the toolmaking business.

Johnny Kleso
12-01-2010, 7:30 PM
I have a few Stanleys and few Low Angle Woodies and like the LAs best but I have seen and used the LV shaves and would go with those or hunting woodies on ebay

Dan Karachio
12-01-2010, 8:09 PM
Wow, so much advice. Thanks everyone. I think I am going with the Lee Valley. If I ever got of the house or work maybe I could find some Stanley's, but it isn't going to happen any time soon. Kind of an instant gratification guy lately.