PDA

View Full Version : Veritas replacement cap irons!

Sam Takeuchi
11-30-2010, 7:09 PM
Veritas new cap irons (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=66868&cat=1,41182). How about that? It looks like that's the design most of contemporary cap irons end up with, but I like it.

Mitchell Garnett
11-30-2010, 7:41 PM
I'm in Toronto for the week so I think I'll have to go have a look. I have been thinking about the Pinnacle replacement set but didn't like the price - this might be a good compromise.

thanks for the tip.

Paul Saffold
11-30-2010, 8:09 PM
I don't know. I'm was thinking about the blade/chip breaker combo but it doesn't have a DVD with it. Hows a feller suppose to figger out how to use them without a DVD, hey?:eek:

Bill Houghton
11-30-2010, 9:51 PM
Oh lordy, and here I thought I had a handle on how I was going to spend my money over the next year or so.

I've been buying their irons - the cutting bit, that is - and have been very impressed. I've been able to get fine shavings right out of the box with them, not even running them over a hone (though, having thus impressed myself, I do hone them).

These look like they'd solve the mating-to-iron part pretty effectively.

Joel Goodman
11-30-2010, 10:18 PM
They look very similar in design to the Hock cap irons. Anyone see a difference?

David Weaver
11-30-2010, 10:38 PM
They look very similar in design to the Hock cap irons. Anyone see a difference?

They look like a cross between the LN and and hock irons. The hock irons do not have the machined recess. they are sprung along their entire length and come to a point with no ledge on the end like these and the LNs.

If these are milled and ground to a really tight tolerance, they should fit the backs of the fabulous LV irons.

The LV irons are still the best I have seen for actual flatness of the backs. You can put them directly on a polishing stone for a few minutes and get a decent polish and very sharp edge.

George Moore
12-01-2010, 7:42 AM
I received the first one they shipped and it is very nice. Well machined and is almost as sharp as their blade. Makes a nice combo with their blade. It is 1/8 inch A@ steel.

Have a Blessed day.
George Moore

rob cosman
12-01-2010, 7:46 AM
I don't know. I'm was thinking about the blade/chip breaker combo but it doesn't have a DVD with it. Hows a feller suppose to figger out how to use them without a DVD, hey?:eek:

I got some extra!

george wilson
12-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Why do you need a DVD to use a chip breaker? Am I missing something?

Rob Young
12-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Why do you need a DVD to use a chip breaker? Am I missing something?

No, you really aren't missing much. Just people being silly and making sly references to previous "discussions" about value-added benefits of purchasing after-market blades and breakers. And a little tug at R.C.'s leg too.

Neil Zenuk
12-03-2010, 3:09 PM
Well hopefully the Toronto stores have them in stock, because I was at the Halifax store yesterday and none in stock and aren't getting them till the 9th. Second time a product has been posted to the site but none in stock. Why do you build me up Buttercup.

David Weaver
12-03-2010, 3:29 PM
It is totally unfair that you can walk into a shop of lee valley stuff.

Really....