PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy acrylic locally?

James Terry
11-30-2010, 7:04 PM
Where can I run out to buy some basic clear acrylic to use in the laser? Is the plexiglass stuff at Home Depot or the likes an ok start?

Howard Garner
11-30-2010, 7:43 PM
Lowes carries three types.
The cheapest/weakest is too brittle
The most expensive/strongest is Lexan and does not cut well with a laser.
Get the middle strength if buying at the Borg.

Howard Garner

Martin Boekers
11-30-2010, 7:49 PM
Where can I run out to buy some basic clear acrylic to use in the laser? Is the plexiglass stuff at Home Depot or the likes an ok start?

It would help if we knew where you are located:D

Joe Pelonio
11-30-2010, 7:59 PM
It would help if we knew where you are located:D
Yes, most metro areas have plenty of good local wholesalers for acrylic that will have a variety of thicknesses and colors and wholesale is less than what they charge at home centers, and better quality. For example Laird Plastics has probably 60 locations across the U.S., and Calsak has about a dozen. You just need a resale license.

James Terry
11-30-2010, 10:18 PM
I did mean to mention Dallas. I live up North in Plano. So yeah, I would be willing to visit some industrial supplier.

pete hagan
11-30-2010, 11:27 PM
James, there is a Lairds Plastic off 35 down by Loop 12. It's a bit of a drive from Plano but they are a great supplier and if you get to know the counter guys you can buy off cuts (scrap) for very little.

It's buried in the industrial park.
10737 King William Dr
Dallas, TX 75220
L: 972-910-9404

There is listed a place called Precision Plastics LLC off of Precision Drive between Plano PKWY and 14th. Don't know anything about them but they are close. (214) 769-4168

Try and get better plastics than the borg stores. You can only get the lower grades at HD and Lowes and they defiantly don't laser as well.

Bruce Larson
12-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Try also Allied Plastics. I believe they have a Dallas office. These folks are the most helpful of anyone.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-01-2010, 12:33 PM
James not sure if Calsak is up there but that's one of my suppliers as well s Professional plastics. You will also need t know what you are trying to accomplish. This will be the difference to whether you buy cast or extruded.

Stay away from Lexan unless you know what you are doing and have a leak free fume extraction. It puts out a yellow smoke and I hear it is not good to breathe. If someone knows the specifics about Lexan, feelfree to chime in.

Terry Swift
12-01-2010, 12:34 PM
A great supplier in the DFW Area is JBob's in Hurst. A bit away from Plano; but they have all kinds of acrylic. Many shapes and sizes of already cut acrylic shapes. Just go to their website and you can sign up to get their catalog. Bob, Patti, and Sherri are great. Bob runs the place and is very personable and likes to know his customers.

JDS and Johnson Plastics also have DFW locations - more towards the westside of Dallas though; but you can buy on-line. TAP Plastics is great; but you have to order stock and ship it to you; but I've had great success with them and very good prices. They carry many, many color choices as well in lots of thicknesses. Joe turned me on to them. Look them up on the Internet too.

Glad to know of more suppliers here in the DFW Area from you guys as I had never heard of Lairds or others mentioned.

Paul Gamble
12-02-2010, 4:46 PM
Lexan is polycarbonate, not acrylic.