PDA

View Full Version : Playing with color

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 4:48 PM
I mounted up a piece of maple. Well, too many cracks. In my effort to get through them the piece just kept getting smaller and smaller. I just chucked it into the firewood pile.

Always intrigued by the coloring work of Steve, John, Scott and others I thought I should play around. So the little piece got at least a temporary reprieve to help me play around.

Used some food color and black trans tint dye. I wanted the whole piece to have a gradation from black to red at the top. Guess I got a little heavy handed with the black and lost it in all but two spots on the piece. Added the leather just screwing around. It makes a nice pencil holder though.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5222022066_69316aaf14_b.jpg

Tim Rinehart
11-30-2010, 4:51 PM
I just have this phobia about dyes. I've even learned some techniques hands-on by Jimmy Clewes...and it still terrifies me. I'll get over it someday.
I like how that piece turned out, has a metallic look to it, especially with the texturing on the collar piece.
I'd be happy to have that for my pencils!! Somehow, even the laced up crack looks better on a dark piece like that.
Well done.:)

Scott Hackler
11-30-2010, 5:22 PM
Mark,

I like this one a lot. The coloring is just right with the contrasting collar. The stitching really adds interest to an already great form. My only critque might be regarding the stitching. I think it wood look a tad bit better had you went all the way around or maybe opening up the "crack" to have a visible opening that seems to be held relatively shut with the leather.

Great job. I wish I had a photo set up like yours. I guess I need to buy/make a light tent. :)

Ray Bell
11-30-2010, 5:23 PM
Good save Mark, I like it. It so happens that I was turning a vase yesterday from spalted maple that I really screwed up, and I am going to use it for dye experimentation today. Same colors, I will heed your observation on too much black.

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 5:34 PM
Good save Mark, I like it. It so happens that I was turning a vase yesterday from spalted maple that I really screwed up, and I am going to use it for dye experimentation today. Same colors, I will heed your observation on too much black.

Ray,

I was just playing so I tried to get the red redder. After that I needed to apply another coat of black. Well no going back. Not worth any additional effort on this. Coloring is definetly going to be scary. Fun to play with though.

Bob Bergstrom
11-30-2010, 5:39 PM
I really like the rim on this piece. the texturing makes a great back round and palette for the beautiful metalic look. I wonder if one of those finials could be adapted.:)

Michael James
11-30-2010, 5:44 PM
Looks fine to me, although the black is probably masking some nice looking wood. Love the leather stitching and have been planning on using some of that in future planned piece. Thanks for posting!

Ray Bell
11-30-2010, 5:55 PM
Thanks Mark, I just put the red overcoat on mine. I think maybe I mixed the black a little weak. This is going to take some playing around with. What did you use as a final finish?

Steve Schlumpf
11-30-2010, 5:59 PM
Mark - you will find that color can be a whole lot of fun and depending on the wood - can be a real challenge at the same time!

I really like the collar on this - reminds me of hammered/aged copper. That is a pretty cool effect and one that would be really interesting to see on a larger scale!

Have fun with the dyes!

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 6:01 PM
Ray,

I just finished it off with Antique Oil. The technique I used was similar to what I saw on a Cindy Drozda DVD. I first put on the red and blue and then the black on top of those.

John Keeton
11-30-2010, 6:32 PM
Mark, that is a really interesting piece. I like the form a lot, and the rim really sets it off. Nice touch with the stitching, and I think I like it better with the closed crack - though I understand what Scott is saying.

I have used black first, sanded back, and then other colors - even then, the black can be overpowering. Using it last, I would think a very diluted application would be better, and then repeated as needed.

In any event, it may have not been what you were after, but it certainly is a nice piece.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 6:50 PM
Mark, great work of art and I love this color thing.:)

Paul Douglass
11-30-2010, 7:04 PM
That is really different and I REALLY like it. What a great imagination. Yep, I like it as is.

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2010, 7:07 PM
Mark great piece and love the color.

Jeff Nicol
11-30-2010, 7:15 PM
Mark, With your excellent photo taking skills this little gem just hits me right in the correct spot in my brain. The shape, colors, finish and the tactile additive of the leather stitching is perfect! It may be small but it has a big impact, you did a great job on it!

I think that if you are willing an air brush will let you get the gradient of coloring down better as you can spray it on in very light successive coats to achieve your desired effect. I have 2 of them and still have not got it down perfect yet, but I do love the versatility of the air brush. We can all use more things in our bag of tricks to create beauty!

Very nice and thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Ken Fitzgerald
11-30-2010, 7:18 PM
Mark,

I like this piece for multiple reasons. First it's a save....second the colors compliment each other....the collar goes extremely well with the shape and size of the body....contrasting...the body and the collar....one smooth inactive surface...one very active but in a controlled fashion. The lacing highlights the crack rather than trying to hide it and in the process is a nice embellishment contrasting the smooth body.

I like this piece a lot! Well done Sir!

David DeCristoforo
11-30-2010, 7:38 PM
Like the black. Love the coppery texturing on the rim. Like Jeff said, an airbrush is the ticket for graduating dyes. Even a cheapo airbrush beats the tar out of a rag for this kind of coloring.

Baxter Smith
11-30-2010, 8:21 PM
Very creative in a whole bunch of ways and well done in all! A unique looking piece!

Steve Vaughan
11-30-2010, 8:31 PM
I like this too! Really a unique and great looking piece. I like the collar, the texturing on that, the color of it all, and the leather lace. Really great experiment gone just right, IMHO!

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks to all. I guess this little piece has earned it's stay of execution.

Mark - you will find that color can be a whole lot of fun and depending on the wood - can be a real challenge at the same time!

I really like the collar on this - reminds me of hammered/aged copper. That is a pretty cool effect and one that would be really interesting to see on a larger scale!

Have fun with the dyes!

Thanks Steve. The color thing can certainly be dye'sy. There are always so many great results around here that it just makes you want to try it. I am really liking the hammering technique and have some future pieces on my mind.

I think that if you are willing an air brush will let you get the gradient of coloring down better as you can spray it on in very light successive coats to achieve your desired effect. I have 2 of them and still have not got it down perfect yet, but I do love the versatility of the air brush. We can all use more things in our bag of tricks to create beauty

Thanks Jeff. I have an air brush and will have to take it out for my next experiments. I know that Bob Bergstrom uses one a lot on his colorful bowls.

Rob Cunningham
12-01-2010, 9:14 AM
That's really cool Mark. Good idea lacing up the crack. Excellent photos too.

David Reed
12-01-2010, 9:55 AM
Very nice indeed. As others have noted, the metallic appearance of the end result is very unique and lovely. There is quite a lot 'going on' with this piece but it all comes together nicely. Once again, the best laid plans....
Can you provide some details how the texture was done on the rim?

Mark Hubl
12-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Can you provide some details how the texture was done on the rim?

David,

Thanks.

I did this "hammering" with a reciprocating carving tool. I make a bull nose insert and hammer away until I achieve the level of texture I want. On this little rim takes about 5 minutes.

And here's a lesson learned. Don't sand at all after the hammering. Even 400 or 600 will soften the edges too much. You can't go back and re-hammer because you have already compressed the wood fibers. Won't achieve the same crisp edges. Don't ask me how I know.

Michael James
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Mark,
How did you secure the stitching?:confused: especially the last stitch...
thanks,
mj

Bill Bolen
12-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I like it....a lot!..Bill..

David E Keller
12-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I think this is a really cool looking piece. The coloring works well for me, and the stitching and hammering give it a tactile quality that I really like. I think that's really nice for a 'just messing around' piece.

Jim Burr
12-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Great work Mark. Save or no save, there is a lot of creativity in this one. I'd agree that the black may have a slightly heavy hand, but with everything else happening, it really doesn't affect it. Can't wait to see what else is up your sleeve!

Mark Hubl
12-02-2010, 4:05 PM
Mark,
How did you secure the stitching?:confused: especially the last stitch...
thanks,
mj

I started with a knot on one end and used some large hemostats to work inside the form and pull things tight along the way. When I got to the last couple of loops I left them a little loose. After the final eyelet on the inside I ran the lace under the last couple of loops and pulled everything tight. Probably a better way, but I am no sailor!