PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer a left or right tilt table saw?

Frank Pellow
12-31-2004, 5:50 PM
The currect thread on which type manufaturer of table saws is kind of fun (even though it is missing some obvious manufacturers), I thought it would be good to wrap up the year with a poll to see which tilt is the most popular.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-31-2004, 6:00 PM
I voted no preference...I have both in the shop and like both.

Marshall Harrison
12-31-2004, 6:10 PM
Left. It's all I've ever used and seems natural to me.

Scott Parks
12-31-2004, 7:20 PM
I put no preference. It depends on what I am doing. If I actually tilt the blade, I prefer left tilt. However, I own two tablesaws that are both left tilt. I am constantly switching blades (ei. thin kerf, dado, standard kerf). I change blades far more frequently than I tilt the blade. Because the location of the right side of my blade is constantly changing based on the blade I am using, my fence "scale" is never accurate. If I were using a right tilt machine, the right side of the blade will always be in the exact same place, and the scale on my fence would always be the same.

I hope that rambling made sense. For this reason, if I were to buy another saw, I'd buy a RIGHT TILT.

John Shuk
12-31-2004, 7:27 PM
I put left but I jus bought a right tilt cabinet saw. My reason was so that I could use a router table as my left extension wing. I hope I'm happy with this setup. Good poll.

Frank Pellow
12-31-2004, 7:34 PM
I voted right tilt because it is what I am used to. :) (Also, I am almost always in a minority every time that I vote on anything. :( )

Jim Becker
12-31-2004, 7:40 PM
For a US-style table saw, I'm definitely a left-tilt fan. For a Euro slider...right tilt is appropriate and coincidenally...the only choice available...and that is what I'd choose. Since I know you're considering the former, my vote in the poll was for left-tilt. But your own vote reflects an important consideration: What are you used to?

Jim Barrett
12-31-2004, 8:36 PM
Right tilt for me, what I learned on....

Jim

The currect thread on which type manufaturer of table saws is kind of fun (even though it is missing some obvious manufacturers), I thought it would be good to wrap up the year with a poll to see which tilt is the most popular.

Von Bickley
12-31-2004, 9:29 PM
I have used both in my shop and I am presently using a right tilt.

I can honestly say that I will never have another right tilt table saw in my shop.

John Miliunas
12-31-2004, 11:42 PM
Learned on a right-tilt, bought a left tilt. Just feel safer with it, I guess.:cool:

mike lucas
12-31-2004, 11:51 PM
I put no preference. It depends on what I am doing. If I actually tilt the blade, I prefer left tilt. However, I own two tablesaws that are both left tilt. I am constantly switching blades (ei. thin kerf, dado, standard kerf). I change blades far more frequently than I tilt the blade. Because the location of the right side of my blade is constantly changing based on the blade I am using, my fence "scale" is never accurate. If I were using a right tilt machine, the right side of the blade will always be in the exact same place, and the scale on my fence would always be the same.

I hope that rambling made sense. For this reason, if I were to buy another saw, I'd buy a RIGHT TILT.
If you have the Beis fence or one of its clones, you can adjust the cursor in 30 seconds. So that is not a problem.

Charlie Plesums
12-31-2004, 11:55 PM
I voted left tilt, since the question applies to a table saw where the primary work piece is on the right. My european slider will be delivered on Monday, with a right tilt, but the primary work piece will be on the left.

Left tilt does have the disadvantage of needing the right scale adjusted each time you change blades, but I leave mine set for the regular blade, and mentally adjust by 1/32 when I run a thin kerf blade.

If the blade is tilted and both the work piece and the cutoff are under control, there is no problem with either tilt. But if you are just trimming a small piece with a tilted blade, and the scrap is so short that it cannot be held, and if that scrap ends up on the top of the blade (right tilt blade on a regular table saw) that loose scrap will fly when it falls free and lands on top of the spinning blade. It is only a piece that is too small to hold next to the blade, so it doesn't hurt much as long as it misses your eyes. (I have a left tilt, but have stopped using some jigs that put me in this situation).

Bart Leetch
01-01-2005, 2:40 AM
I prefer left tilt. But the price on the Delta I am rehabbing is the reason I now have a right tilt. That & the fact most people me included don't tilt the saw all That often anyway. :D

Bart Leetch
01-01-2005, 2:45 AM
I put left but I jus bought a right tilt cabinet saw. My reason was so that I could use a router table as my left extension wing. I hope I'm happy with this setup. Good poll.

You could have used a router table on a left tilt saw too. I have for 7 years.

Ned Bulken
01-01-2005, 3:06 AM
Not that I tilt my blade all that often, but I like the cut off to not be trapped between the blade and the fence when I do. YMMV

Richard McComas
01-01-2005, 5:11 AM
Right tilt is all I have ever known in both American and Euro-saws

Bill Arnold
01-01-2005, 6:22 AM
I've used both types in commercial shops. If I had to tilt the blade, I preferred to use a left tilt or move the fence to the left side of a right tilt saw. My Jet cabinet saw at home is a left tilt.

Jerry LaBelle
01-01-2005, 7:00 AM
I went left tilt since that's all I've used. Though I can't recall if the first saw I had, an 8 inch craftsman cast iron one, that had a lever for both elevating and tilting the blade!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2005, 9:18 AM
My first t/s was a left tilt and my current is a left tilt. I'm more comfortable because that's what I learned on. Wasn't aware of an apparent safety factor until after I'd purchased the first one.

Allen Grimes
01-01-2005, 4:31 PM
Wow, with half the views you already got more votes than your other pole. What makes it worse is this subject has been discussed a million times before.

Jim Young
01-01-2005, 4:53 PM
I voted left. Currently own a right tilt saw and see myself using the fence on the lhs. If I had the left tilt I could just leave the fence on the right side.

Terre Hooks
01-01-2005, 5:03 PM
I will never understand why people are so passionate about this issue.

I tilt my blade on my right tilt Unisaw about 3 times a year.

When the grey matter between your ears is used, a right tilt is just as safe as a left tilt. I have no problem ripping with the blade tilted and the fence on the right. I do it safely and use common sense.

Scott Parks
01-01-2005, 8:19 PM
If you have the Beis fence or one of its clones, you can adjust the cursor in 30 seconds. So that is not a problem.
I am a very detail oriented person. Getting out my caliper and making numerous test cuts to "dial in" my cursor to .001" is something I don't want to do everytime I change the blade. I have come up with two solutions to this problem. 1, insert a 1/32" shim between the thin kerf blade and the arbor plate. Or 2, scribe a second cursor 1/32" difference on my fence scale. As for "dail a dado" I'll just have to get out the tape measure to set the fence.

As far as safety, I don't think right or left tilt matters. It is just your own personal preference. Based on my experience now, I'd go with the right...

Norman Hitt
01-01-2005, 9:50 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Parks] I own two tablesaws that are both left tilt. I am constantly switching blades (ei. thin kerf, dado, standard kerf). I change blades far more frequently than I tilt the blade. Because the location of the right side of my blade is constantly changing based on the blade I am using, my fence "scale" is never accurate. If I were using a right tilt machine, the right side of the blade will always be in the exact same place, and the scale on my fence would always be the same.

---------000--------

Scott, If I remember correctly, you got a Biese Clone Fence with your new saw, and if that is correct, then all you have to do is the following:

1. Set your scale's cursor line accurately for the Blade you normally use, and then when you put a dado blade, (or other thickness blade) on your saw, just run the fence over to where it Barely Touches the blade with the fence locked in place, and then;

2. Stick a piece of masking tape (or electrical tape if you prefer) "Across" the scale so one edge is exactly over the "Zero" on the scale, and then use that tape edge as your cursor line while you have that blade/dado installed,(taking care to stand directly over the scale to prevent any paralax since the tape is on top of the plastic of the scale and the cursor line is on the bottom).

3. When you change that blade/dado back to the original blade, simply peel off the tape and use the scale's cursor line again.

With this method, there is no adjusting/readjusting of the cursor line itself every time you change blades and you Will get accurate measurements. I've been using this system for years and it only takes a few seconds to set it up.

This method will work on "Most Other" fence systems also, depending how the scale indicator is made or set up on the fence.

Hope this helps..........Norm

PS: One other thing I should mention, for anyone not already aware of this potential safety problem, is that "IF" you move the fence from the right side to the left side of the blade for a particular cut, You MUST check the fence for calibration to be parallel to the blade. If you DO NOT check this, and you normally have your fence set further away from the blade at the Back of the blade, (opened up) OR, if the two faces of the fence are Not Parallel to each other, the fence will be out of alignment with the blade, and can Pinch the wood into the blade and cause a kickback. If you have to readjust the fence to make this cut, then be sure to readjust it when you move the fence back to the other (original) side it was on when you started.

Chris Padilla
01-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Grew up on a righty...when I bought my Griz 1023 4 years ago, all they had was righty....

Larry D. Wagner
01-05-2005, 9:39 AM
Left gets my vote!

I've owned both and presently have a leftie and I just feel more comfrotable and safe using it as 95% of the time the fence is used on the right side.

My .02 worth!

Larry :) :) :)

Garry Smith
01-05-2005, 10:41 AM
I just purchased a Left tilt Unisaw and also have a right tilt Delta contractor's saw. I much pefer the Left tilt when ripping miters. Now most the jigs I have made for the right tilt need to be duplicated to accomodate for the left tilt.

Garry