PDA

View Full Version : First Piercing -- Thanks Wally!

Jeff Paxton
11-30-2010, 4:01 PM
Here is my first piercing. I was inspired by Wally Dickerman's work. No where near that level, but this was a good start. The bowl is cherry with a walnut base. The bowl was turned to about 1/16, maybe a hair thicker, and I used the Presto dental tool to do the piercings. Sorry about the picture quality. I took the pics from my phone. Thanks for looking!

Jeff

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 4:17 PM
Very nice Jeff, I really like what you did here.:)

bob svoboda
11-30-2010, 4:41 PM
Nice job Jeff. Way more patience than I have.

Wally Dickerman
11-30-2010, 4:46 PM
Here is my first piercing. I was inspired by Wally Dickerman's work. No where near that level, but this was a good start. The bowl is cherry with a walnut base. The bowl was turned to about 1/16, maybe a hair thicker, and I used the Presto dental tool to do the piercings. Sorry about the picture quality. I took the pics from my phone. Thanks for looking!

Jeff

Hey Jeff, looks good to me. Well done! Kind'a fun isn't it?

Wally

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 4:51 PM
That looks great. Very nice for your first pierced piece. Is that pith on the side? I like that detail. (How is the reception on your camera? Couldn't resist.:))

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2010, 7:21 PM
That is a nice piece. Well done.

Ken Hill
11-30-2010, 7:58 PM
Nice job Jeff. Way more patience than I have.

Amen! Great looking piece

Baxter Smith
11-30-2010, 8:15 PM
All that piercing looks like work but it sure livens up what might have been a plain piece of wood. Very well done!

Michael James
11-30-2010, 8:53 PM
Jeff, that looks very nice, but I think it really deserves better camera work to highlight the piercing detail. I know Im not one to talk about camera work, but................ please?
Thanks for the peek!
mj

Ray Bell
11-30-2010, 9:00 PM
Very nice Jeff. Looks like a lot of work.

Cathy Schaewe
11-30-2010, 9:02 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. I have a piece that's calling for some piercing, and this may serve as some motivation -

John Keeton
11-30-2010, 9:03 PM
Piercing and segmentation both go into the category of "ain't got the patience for this!!" Nice work, and you certainly picked a great source of inspiration!!

Scott Hackler
11-30-2010, 9:10 PM
Looks really nice. I would love to see some non cell phone pictures.

Steve Schlumpf
11-30-2010, 11:56 PM
Jeff - looks pretty good! I have to agree with a lot of the others here - would really like to see some full size photos that show some details of the hard work you put into this piece!

Paul Douglass
12-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Very nice. I like piercing on bowls. Hope to give it a try someday. When you do it, do you draw out what you are going to pierce or do you just start cutting?

steven carter
12-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Jeff,

Nice job on the bowl. I also did a similar bowl out of plain poplar that was inspired by Wally, sure takes a lot of time, but I used a much slower tool than a dental tool.

Steve

Jon McElwain
12-01-2010, 7:10 PM
That's a good looking bowl! I like the exclusion on piercing at the heartwood (sapwood??). Hard to tell which from the photos.

By the way, I'm glad to hear that your first piercing was a bowl and not your nose or belly button or something....