PDA

View Full Version : Almost Black Walnut Fire Wood

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 3:04 PM
I was given this Black Walnut log in by family in Oklahoma and it was very badly checked and cracked. I did my best to salvage some but even those pieces started cracking. I had really been chided for not already turning something for my wife's cousin and so I thought I would at least give it a try. It had a bad crack but the wood was to beautiful to pass up. I'm not totally happy with this bowl but I'm not sorry I finished it. Go ahead and make any critique you like, just be gentle...Kidding.:)

P.S. I really do turn sometimes...

I almost violated my own rule, sorry. The bowl is 10 3/4" in Dia, X 3 1/4 High it is finished with alternating coats of Antique Oil and Light Walnut WATCO, Buffed and waxed.

Steve Schlumpf
11-30-2010, 3:20 PM
You're right - that sure is some pretty wood and well worth the effort to try and save!

Good looking bowl! It will make a great gift!

charlie knighton
11-30-2010, 3:55 PM
very nice....

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 4:36 PM
Very nice. Love the shape.

Nathan Hawkes
11-30-2010, 4:55 PM
Nice work, and nice save, Christopher! That walnut has some birdseye figure in it! And you're right about the color; gorgeous!

Michael James
11-30-2010, 5:40 PM
Very nice bowl Christopher! I think that's the 1st piece I've seen where someone used a tinted (?) watco. Beautiful wood and great rim treatment. Heck, if anyone scoffs at that gift, just ship it my way C.O.D.:cool:

John Keeton
11-30-2010, 6:22 PM
Chris, it is a very nice bowl, from some beautiful walnut. I am curious - what is it about the bowl that you are not happy with?

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 6:28 PM
Chris, it is a very nice bowl, from some beautiful walnut. I am curious - what is it about the bowl that you are not happy with?Thanks John, in the second photo left sid as you look at it you can see the crack. Usually I can get them to dissappear better than that. Out of practice I guess.:(

Jim Kountz
11-30-2010, 6:30 PM
Nice save Chris!! Beautiful job!!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 6:35 PM
You're right - that sure is some pretty wood and well worth the effort to try and save!

Good looking bowl! It will make a great gift!Thanks Steve:)

very nice....Thanks Charlie:)

Very nice. Love the shape.Thanks Mark the wood kinda dictated the shape on this one.:)

Nice work, and nice save, Christopher! That walnut has some birdseye figure in it! And you're right about the color; gorgeous!Nathan ya know I never thought of Walnut having Birdseye but it really seems to dosen't it? Thanks.:)

Very nice bowl Christopher! I think that's the 1st piece I've seen where someone used a tinted (?) watco. Beautiful wood and great rim treatment. Heck, if anyone scoffs at that gift, just ship it my way C.O.D.:cool:Thanks Michael, That tint seemed to add to the richness just a bit, or at least I thought so anyway.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 6:37 PM
Nice save Chris!! Beautiful job!!Thanks Jim.:)

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-30-2010, 6:43 PM
I like that you made a simple shape and embellished it with a bit of detail around the rim and achieved something special. I can't even see the crack. Nice bowl.
faust

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 6:47 PM
I like that you made a simple shape and embellished it with a bit of detail around the rim and achieved something special. I can't even see the crack. Nice bowl.
faustThanks very much Faust. Sometimes Photos can hide a multitude of Boo Boos.:o

Ken Fitzgerald
11-30-2010, 6:57 PM
Chris,

I looked for that crack. My aging eyes can't see it. What I do see is a bowl with a great design, fantasticly figured beautiful wood and great finish.

So here's how you handle this....walk up to the family member with a piece of firewood in one hand and that bowl in the other. Ask them which they'd rather have for a gift.

PS...I'd trade you firewood for that bowl!

Nicely done Chris!

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 6:59 PM
Chris,

I looked for that crack. My aging eyes can't see it. What I do see is a bowl with a great design, fantasticly figured beautiful wood and great finish.

So here's how you handle this....walk up to the family member with a piece of firewood in one hand and that bowl in the other. Ask them which they'd rather have for a gift.

PS...I'd trade you firewood for that bowl!

Nicely done Chris!Thanks Ken for the comments and the advice. With this lady that might just work.:D

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2010, 7:02 PM
Chris that is some fantastic wood and I really like that bowl. The rim looks really nice. Well done and great save.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 7:05 PM
Chris that is some fantastic wood and I really like that bowl. The rim looks really nice. Well done and great save.Thanks Bernie, I love doing these rims.:)

Cathy Schaewe
11-30-2010, 9:11 PM
That is an absolutely beautiful piece - I always think we're more critical about our own turnings than almost anyone else is!

Richard Madden
12-01-2010, 12:46 AM
Heck, I like it...a lot. I love the classic ogee shape and the rim treatment. I have used medium walnut Watco DO on walnut and I like the way it brings out color. You did good.

Christopher K. Hartley
12-01-2010, 8:25 AM
That is an absolutely beautiful piece - I always think we're more critical about our own turnings than almost anyone else is!Thanks Cathy, You are probably right as it seems every turning I do these days I find some new thing I need to improve upon that I never really noticed before.:)

Heck, I like it...a lot. I love the classic ogee shape and the rim treatment. I have used medium walnut Watco DO on walnut and I like the way it brings out color. You did good.Thanks Richard, I'm always trying to get the color deeper and richer.:)

Baxter Smith
12-01-2010, 1:47 PM
That is one of the nicest pieces of walnut I have ever seen used in a bowl. Great save!

steven carter
12-01-2010, 2:55 PM
Very nice bowl, I really like the rim treatment, don't think I've ever seen one just like this one. The profile of the bowl makes me think it could have been found on a sideboard a hundred years ago, not sure why, but it does.

Steve

Christopher K. Hartley
12-01-2010, 9:59 PM
That is one of the nicest pieces of walnut I have ever seen used in a bowl. Great save!Thanks Baxter, That is what I thought when I cut into it and saw all that was going on.:)

Very nice bowl, I really like the rim treatment, don't think I've ever seen one just like this one. The profile of the bowl makes me think it could have been found on a sideboard a hundred years ago, not sure why, but it does.
SteveThanks Steven, actually you arn't far off on the 100 year thing. That's about how old I feel about now. Ha...ha...ha;)

George Guadiane
12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Beautiful Bowl from Beautiful wood!

Christopher K. Hartley
12-02-2010, 7:21 AM
Beautiful Bowl from Beautiful wood!Thanks George.:)