PDA

View Full Version : Source for 16" jointer knives

Phillip Pardue
11-30-2010, 2:49 PM
Where do you buy yours? I must not be using the correct serch terms because I have only found one source so far. These are the "traditional" type (Grizzly sells a 16" disposable system) with a total of 4 needed.

Thanks for your recommendation(s).

Anthony Whitesell
11-30-2010, 3:07 PM
Holbren (holbren.com). They don't list a 16" set, but it would definately be worth calling them.

Scott Schwake
11-30-2010, 4:10 PM
Have you tried American National Knife?

Phillip Pardue
11-30-2010, 4:56 PM
Have you tried American National Knife?

That was the only source I had found previously.

Paul Murphy
11-30-2010, 6:41 PM
These folks have a good selection (have not tried them yet):
http://www.wmooreprofiles.com/c-679-16-lengths.aspx

These knives are T1, and they OK, but could stand to be sharpened before use. Factor that into the total price. They will custom cut knives to size for a reasonable price. http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/knives-planer/t1-hss-planer-knife-sets.html

Stephen Cherry
11-30-2010, 8:13 PM
I have a 12 inch jointer, the knives I use are sold as planer knives. Same size and shape, different name.

Peter Quinn
11-30-2010, 8:27 PM
Any tooling supplier should be able to provide them if you know the thickness and height needed. My local supplier for planer and jointer knives is Connecticut Saw and Tool, I have also used Infinity tool. I'm sure Holbren would make them up as well, or Oella Saw and Tool. They will pretty much just cut to length from HSS knife stock and grind an edge. Its a basic operation for most tooling grinders or sharpening services.

george wilson
11-30-2010, 9:43 PM
Buy the Dispoz-a Blade Grizzly sells. You will never be sorry. Once you pay the initial investment to get the holders,the cost per cutting edge is no more than re sharpening ,AND you don't soon have too narrow a knife to be used,and have to buy expensive new knives again. Blade changing takes only 15 minutes at most,which is great. I used to take forever installing new knives in our old Delta jointer WITHOUT jack screws. So,I'd put it off and use dull knives for way too long.

Phillip Pardue
11-30-2010, 9:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I think I can get ahold of something with all these choices.

One more question, for the experts, if I may:

This jointer is a late '20s model Sidney. There are no manufacturer specs for knife size. When I purchased the jointer, it did not have knives. How would one determine the proper size (length is obvious, I'm concerned with width and thickness) of knife? Pictures of the head geometry are attached. The "slot" for the knife is 3/16" wide and the depth from bottom of slot to O.D. of head is 1.25".

My assumption is to choose the greatest thickness that is equal to or less than 3/16" and the greatest length that does not put the edge above the head's cutting circle when bottomed in the slot.

Does my thinking hold true?

Thanks again for the answers.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Phillip,

If someone doesn't have an answer for you, try going to OWWM.com...Old Wood Working Machines .com.....they specialize in old machinery.

Phillip Pardue
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Phillup,

If someone doesn't have an answer for you, try going to OWWM.com...Old Wood Working Machines .com.....they specialize in old machinery.

I am a member. I didn't get a very concise answer there so that's why I dropped in here.

Bryan Cowing
12-01-2010, 5:46 AM
http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/ Fast service, great prices. Ordered a set of 1 & 3/8" x 20" knives for an old Delta - Invicta planer. 7 days it showed up at the post office.
my guess , be one of these:
16" x 1-1/8" x 1/8" T1-HSS Planer Knife Set of 4
16-3/16" x 1-3/16" [30mm] x 1/8" [3mm] T1-HSS Planer Knife Set of 4