PDA

View Full Version : Sanding NE bowls....

Ken Hill
11-30-2010, 12:21 PM
The outside was a breeze, and even in the two areas where the typical oval needed some extra attention, wasnt bad.

Now the interior is driving me crazy haha:D I've got afew spots I cant get rid of even with the 80 grit gouge! Its as smooth as ababies bottom, but I can tell its darker then the remaining wood.

Move down to 60 grit and see if it can be removed? Hopefully these get easier!

Scott Hackler
11-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Ken, I know this might be obvious but is the 80 grit sand paper worn out? I have accidentally started "polishing" a turning with worn out paper. Are you power sanding or doing it by hand?

Ken Hill
11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
By hand, fresh paper as well. I used shellac before I ca'd the bark and I cant imagine it being the culprit but possible. Its white oak so there was plenty of open grain.

I have my sander enroute along with vince's discs....and being hurt I cant put alot of pressure on the work so I know I havent glazed the surface. It doesnt look bad, but I know its there and its bugging me!

Prashun Patel
11-30-2010, 12:35 PM
When you say it's 'darker' is it the normal diff between end grain and side grain?

If it's still pretty wet, that has also affected my ability to properly sand.

I find that the end grain tends to tame down as I move up in higher grits.

The big litmus test for me tho is wetting with mineral spirits.

Ken Hill
11-30-2010, 1:51 PM
What ever it is, it is part of the wood. I dropped to 60 grit and it did not touch it, and it is even on both sides of the bowl.

Maybe I will find out when I start sanding the next few:D

Prashun Patel
11-30-2010, 3:02 PM
Show some pix.

Ken Hill
11-30-2010, 3:18 PM
It's oiled and drying now, but i will once its completed

Nathan Hawkes
11-30-2010, 4:53 PM
Ken, I know exactly what you're referring to. It's bruising, and very difficult to get rid of without pretty aggressive sandpaper. Also, on some woods, its impossible to spot until the oiling, which is what it sounds is the case with your bowl. Sorry!! :( I feel your pain! Just a suggestion; what helped me was grinding off the heel of the gouge--this is a surefire way to decrease the pressure put on the wood by the bevel as it rubs. I grind the heel off all my gouges now! I even have one 1/2" (3/8" flute) that is ground to only about 1/16" left--I use this for finish cuts. Sometimes there's only a fine line between riding the bevel and crushing the wood fibers. The funny thing with my experience is the wood that I had the most problem with was Hickory!! I'm not positive of the variety, likely pignut, but completely soaking wet when it was turned, and nearly as white as holly.

Ken Hill
11-30-2010, 4:57 PM
Nathan that very well could be. I have ground the heel on my 1/2 gouge to help with the transition area, but im still new to bowls so screwing up is not out of the realm of possibilities haha!

The oiling is evening things out however, it will end up being fine but I will pay better attention on the next one!

Dennis Simmons
11-30-2010, 5:20 PM
Stop the machine, and hand sand in the opposite direction of your lathe rotation. Start with 80 and progress with finer grit.