PDA

View Full Version : A pen I didn't make...

David DeCristoforo
11-30-2010, 12:12 PM
When I was in NV over Thanksgiving, my brother in law showed me this pen and letter opener set. They are made by a local guy but that's all I know except that they are made from stabilized alfalfa cubes. My BIL got then to give to one of his clients. These are beautifully made and have a real solid feel. Just thought you pen guys might like to see them.

PS Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics...

Lee Koepke
11-30-2010, 12:30 PM
alfalafa cubes ???

what will they think of next .. I guess you CAN turn anything :D

Paul Douglass
11-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Pretty cool! Always amazes me what people come up with to make pen out of.

pete ryalls
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I once read you could turn a fart
if you had enough CA glue

Andrew Kertesz
11-30-2010, 1:15 PM
To turn a fart first you have to catch it and paint it green...:D Someone here in the Toledo area has stabilized some horse manure and turned that into a pen. Saw it at the local WC.

ray hampton
11-30-2010, 1:50 PM
can we turn a pen out of bees wax ? for the people that bite their pens

Wally Dickerman
11-30-2010, 3:42 PM
Alfalfa cubes? Don't they have wood in Nev? Just keep it away from a hungry cow.

Wally

David DeCristoforo
11-30-2010, 4:12 PM
"...Don't they have wood in Nev?..."

Nope. No wood. It's a desert. Sagebrush and Pinion pine which doesn't count as wood and cottonwood which doesn't count either unless you are looking for something to burn and it's just barely acceptable even for that!

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2010, 7:25 PM
Those are cool looking.

Dan Cannon
11-30-2010, 7:41 PM
To turn a fart first you have to catch it and paint it green...:D Someone here in the Toledo area has stabilized some horse manure and turned that into a pen. Saw it at the local WC.

Wow, I'm glad I didn't see that at WC. That's not something this Toledo guy is planning on bragging about! :eek:

Curt Fuller
11-30-2010, 7:51 PM
Hay! Those are nice.

Jeff Nicol
11-30-2010, 9:43 PM
I am not sure but it suspiciously looks like some of that stuff I see them taking off the tresspassers in that show "Border wars" could be some of that "Wacky Tobacky"!

Cool looking,

Jeff

David E Keller
11-30-2010, 11:18 PM
I am not sure but it suspiciously looks like some of that stuff I see them taking off the tresspassers in that show "Border wars" could be some of that "Wacky Tobacky"!

Cool looking,

Jeff

My first thought as well... You could always soak it in acetone to get rid of the plastic!:D

brian watts
12-01-2010, 12:43 AM
pretty neat for sure

Don Alexander
12-01-2010, 1:25 AM
Nope. No wood. It's a desert. Sagebrush and Pinion pine which doesn't count as wood and cottonwood which doesn't count either unless you are looking for something to burn and it's just barely acceptable even for that!

i have a small amount of cottonwood burl that is absolutely gorgeous stuff
i willbe posting some pics in a few days of some pens made from it

anyone know where i could get some more? its not easy to find so far

David DeCristoforo
12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
"...i have a small amount of cottonwood burl..."

As I was driving around Smith and Mason valleys (NV) over the TG weekend, I did notice several burls on some of the many cottonwood trees that line some of the roads. Some of them were quite large. My FIL has a huge firewood pile that has been recently enhanced by some major windfalls. But there was nary a burl to be found in there. Actually cottonwood can be pretty. But it is some of the most unstable wood I have ever encountered.