PDA

View Full Version : Walnut from CL

Jerome Hanby
11-30-2010, 11:59 AM
How serious is lumber advertised with some Powder Post beetle damage? Can I visually judge the extent of the damage without cutting into the lumber. Is there any "simple" way to kill off any infestation without the ability to "freeze" or "cook" the lumber?

Or is the best course to run away?

Charles Lent
12-02-2010, 9:48 AM
If it wasn't "kiln dried" I would avoid it. Kiln drying is the only sure way I know of to eliminate them from and not affect the final use as furniture. Chemical treatment will likely leave stains in the wood and not penetrate sufficiently to kill them all. Most damage will be visible, but you may find some hidden damage when you cut thicker boards to build something, so you can expect a significantly greater loss than normal. If it's free or nearly so you might be able to get someone to put it in their kiln before you use it, but I would pass. It's just too risky.

Charley

Danny Hamsley
12-02-2010, 5:06 PM
My experience is that the beetles only infest the sapwood.

Josiah Bartlett
12-02-2010, 8:54 PM
Usually walnut is only infested in the sap wood, but if you are going to spring for it then definitely make sure it is treated before it meets your shop or other wood storage area.