PDA

View Full Version : Protecting a drum's rim from concrete

Phil Thien
11-30-2010, 9:44 AM
I sourced a sort of beat-up 30-gallon drum for a separator.

So I'm sanding down the drum and preparing it for new paint.

But when I set this thing on the concrete floor, the concrete will take any paint off the bottom rim. And then it will rust again.

Do they make anything to protect that bottom rim from scraping/rusting?

I've found a drum dolly but would just as soon keep the drum on the floor.

I could add some feet somehow but just thought I'd check if there is something already designed for the purpose.

Aaron Berk
11-30-2010, 9:50 AM
Maybe not EXACTLY what your looking for, but you could use a drum lid and just put it under the drum like a hot water heater drip pan.

pic here -> http://www.calvert-plastics.com/TRADING/Misc_Products.htm

Anthony Whitesell
11-30-2010, 10:58 AM
I was going to suggest a drum dolly, made by RubberMaid. I've seen them at work. Probably not cheap.

Paul Stoops
11-30-2010, 1:09 PM
Phil,

Here is a simple dolly I built for the garbage can under my DC (with a Thien baffle, of course).

I haven't tried this uploading before, so I hope it works :)

Paul

Kent A Bathurst
11-30-2010, 1:52 PM
Sounds like you don't mind dragging it out [as opposed to rolling it out]. Rummage around the scrap pile - bolt a couple pieces of wood to to bottom of the drum [like skids] or a piece of ply. Replace if it wears out [in a few thousand cycles].

Todd Crawford
11-30-2010, 2:09 PM
Casters directly on the bottom of the drum maybe.

Matt Meiser
11-30-2010, 3:10 PM
Northern Tool sells a relatively inexpensive drum dolly if cost is the concern with that route.

Josiah Bartlett
11-30-2010, 4:14 PM
Duct tape over the rim or a plywood plate with a groove in it to accept the rim.

Eric DeSilva
11-30-2010, 5:43 PM
What about just painting the rim with Plasti-dip or Tool-dip or whatever it is called? That stuff you can buy at the borg to create rubber handles on tools?

http://www.plastidip.com/

Alan Bienlein
11-30-2010, 6:08 PM
My metal drum has been sitting on the concrete floor for about 1-1/2 years now. Haven't noticed any rust on mine yet and I just drag it out from under the cyclone. Not even a stain on the concrete. Personaly I wouldn't worry about it unless you have it sitting in a water puddle.

Chip Lindley
11-30-2010, 8:56 PM
I use "blue" plastic 55 gal. barrels. I can wheel a full barrel of shavings outside and leave it in the weather (covered) until disposal is accomplished.

Out if curiosity I did an ebay search for "30 gal. plastic barrel" and found a couple! No rust with plastic!

Meanwhile, cut a length of "heater hose" the circumference of your 30 gal barrel rim, split the hose down the middle, and slip it over the bottom rim of your barrel. Use some Gorilla/Roo glue to hold it in place.

Mike Wilkins
12-01-2010, 9:18 AM
You can make a simple dolly with a peice of plywood and 4 casters screwed to the bottom. You can even get fancy and make the ply large enough to put some blocks around the perimeter of the barrel to keep it from sliding off the platform. I made a similar dolly for an old Ryobi vac I used to own, and only had the expense of 4 casters. Just my .02 worth.

Bill Edwards(2)
12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I'd take a stroll through my local hardware store.

They make all kinds of edge clips and flex moldings for things.

:)

David Hostetler
12-02-2010, 5:12 PM
Phil,

Have you thought about maybe painting on some Plasti-dip as a protective coat on the bottom lip?

M Toupin
12-02-2010, 8:49 PM
3/8" or so vinyl tubing slit lengthwise and slipped over the edge.

Mike

Pat Barry
12-02-2010, 9:00 PM
Get a scrap piece of pink or blue foam insulation board and set the drum on it. It will keep the can from rusting no problem.

Phil Thien
12-02-2010, 9:12 PM
Thanks for all the responses, they are all excellent.

I had some difficulties using plastic in the past. Specifically, static.

But I had easy access to a plastic drum so decided to give it a shot, as it looked like it was nearly identical in dimensions to the steel drum, for which I had already made a lid.

So I gave it a shot and much to my amazement, no static. The hoses and pipes in the "network" develop a static charge, but the drum doesn't.

Not sure why this plastic is different. This is a translucent white plastic drum. Perhaps this plastic is less prone to developing a static charge? Perhaps it is coated with something that will wear-off. I don't know.

Nonetheless, I'm stoked. Being that it is a translucent white 30-gallon drum, I can see when it is time to empty by just looking at it.

Now I have this 30-gallon steel drum and I guess I will still fix it up and use it in the shop as a garbage can or somewhere to stuff cut-offs or something. Just gotta finish sanding/priming/painting it.

After that I will use the slitted vinyl tubing or the plastic-dip (thanks guys) to keep the bottom from rusting.