PDA

View Full Version : Router suggestions needed

Barb Becker
11-30-2010, 9:25 AM
Santa's helpers need a little tool advice this year!!

They're doing good with the Leigh D4R the husband wanted and thought that since he was really good this year they'd replace his aging Skill router with something new. But Santa's elves know very little about power tools ;)

Still searching the forum but thought that posting might be most effective in finding something that will work best with the new Leigh jig.

Thanks - Happy shopping!!!

scott spencer
11-30-2010, 9:42 AM
Nice gift idea. It's important than any hand router feel good in hand, but maybe even more so when doing dovetail work, so it's a fairly personal choice. My favorite for dovetails is the Hitachi M12VC...it's quiet, powerful enough, light, and has good functions. I'd think the Milwaukee 5615 or 5616 (with BodyGrip), PC690, or DeWalt 616 would also all be good choices (among others)...possibly equipped with a D-handle. If you don't want to spoil the surprise and actually take him to a store to pick one out, my advice would be to buy one that might be suitable for him to unwrap, with the option to return or exchange it for one that suits him.

Hope you both have a Merry Christmas!

Philip Rodriquez
11-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Scott gave some good advice. Personally, I use an older PC 690 with a "D" handle ... but many other mid-sized routers will do the trick. IMHO, 3 hp routers are too big for the Leigh.

I'd look at some of the mid-sized router packages that offer multiple bases, have a "soft-start," and have variable speed. For the router base, most people will prefer a "D" handle and a plunge base.

Out of the box, the D4 also requires a 7/16 collar, and two Leigh router bits (dovetail and straight). Be sure the collar works with the router you select.

glenn bradley
11-30-2010, 12:26 PM
I have several routers and reach for the "body grip" Milwaukee 5615 for jig work. Its a little lighter due to the smaller motor but has no problem plowing out 1/2" diameter mortises so dovetails are easy.

P.s. great gift idea ;-)

Michael Drew
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I've been trying to justify the addition of one more router to my "collection" of perfectly fine and operable routers.... It's the Milwaukee 5616-24, 2.25 HP variable speed. Problem is, I'll want two of them so I can keep one motor mounted on each (plunge and fixed base).

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5616-24-Max-Horsepower-Multi-Base-BodyGrip/dp/B000QV1CXW/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I33TKBO4NQF2ZO&colid=2QH5SJW2ML0FJ

Barb Becker
11-30-2010, 1:24 PM
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas - you guys are making it MUCH too easy for me to spend $$$ on more tools!! And with an Amazon link no less (and free Prime shipping too!) :D:D

I'll be sure to include whatever the Leigh jig needs, and if he really hates it I guess I could probably use a mid-sized router ;)

Thanks again for the suggestions!!

pat warner
11-30-2010, 3:13 PM
DW 621, good for ways and straight cuts.
Precise depth target-ability.
Light weight, plenty of power .
Ability to stage cut the straight cuts.
A blast to use. Glass smooth plunge stroke of ~2-3/8".
And can be used on nearly any routin' job so long as it's not upside the wall or upside down!

Jim Becker
11-30-2010, 9:24 PM
I would favor something like the Dewalt DW618 Kit (or similar from other name brands) with both the fixed base and the plunge base for flexibility. The fixed based is always my choice for cutting dovetails on my D4...lower center of gravity and really easy adjustment during setup. I have several routers that I all use including some more expensive (and wonderful) Festool routers, but my DW618 invariably gets the call for dovetails for the lower center of gravity factor I mentioned.

The plunge base has its own advantages for other operations and the kit gives you that. BTW, I recommend the DW618 over the DW616 because of the variable speed. That's important for larger cutters and some other situations.

Roger Jensen
11-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Is your husband a traditionalist or a 'latest thing' kind of guy? If he is the latter, take a look at the new Bosch kit at http://boschtools.com/totalcontrol.

Even though this is a new model, Bosch is usually a dependable brand and the early reviews are very good.

I hope Santa brings me one. I've been nice...

Chris Haas
11-30-2010, 10:49 PM
I just bought a leigh d4 jig, and a couple of months ago i picked up a porter cable 690 router kit with the plunge base included off of ebay for $145 shipped. it was in basically brand new condition, and i love having the plunge base option for any embellishments i may add to a project, the 690 is the 1.75hp mondel and i would absolutely recommend it, it does great with the leigh jigs, and i dont think anyone will question a pc routers quality. good luck

also check your local craigslist adds for a search under router. there will be a ton of computer wireless routers in the list, but also wood routers as well, there are some great deals out there if you just happen to stumble across it and have the cash.

David Hostetler
11-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Barb,

I own 2 of the Hitachi KM12VC plunge / fixed base router kits. They are the same router as the M12VC, but have a plunge base as well. (kind of like getting 2 routers in 1, but not really. Hard to explain if you don't know much about tools...)

Very high quality, made in USA, smooth operation, easy to use, and reasonable cost... what more could Santa's helpers want?

Doug Carpenter
12-01-2010, 7:47 AM
I just bought this on craigslist new for $150.

It has alot of options. A fixed base and a plunge base. It is a great option for someone who needs one router to do alot.

as you may know many of us have multiple routers because there are so many things you can do with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-RF1101KIT2-4-Horsepower-Variable-Speed-Plunge/dp/B0002HC4IM/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1291207072&sr=1-1

I have alot of Bosch routers as well and they are great as well. I just had to replace it with the makita because the bearings burned out. I used it professionally for twenty years.

Even though I got a great deal on craigslist you really need to know what you are buying and you wouldn't have the option of returning it.

Also so I don't confuse you need a fixed base router for using with a dovetail jig. The kit above with both bases would give him more options to boot.

I can speak for all husbands when I say it is nice to get a gift from your wife when it is one of those things that seems like you hadn't been paying attention.

Merry Christmas!

Mike Heidrick
12-01-2010, 7:56 AM
Barb,

Very high quality, made in USA, smooth operation, easy to use, and reasonable cost... what more could Santa's helpers want?

The M12VC is made in China. Santa is global though right?

You can use a plunge router with a DT jig. You just lock it in a fixed position and use your plunge rods for dept adjustment. Fixed base would be easier IMO but it can be done.

The D handle base routers work awesome on a DT jig. I use the 618 Dewalts.

I own 3 M12VCs for the CNC router I built (sales so I have spares) though and they are definately quiet-ish for a router. They were $109 at Lowes last week here.

Barb Becker
12-01-2010, 9:56 AM
Is your husband a traditionalist or a 'latest thing' kind of guy? If he is the latter, take a look at the new Bosch kit at http://boschtools.com/totalcontrol.

Even though this is a new model, Bosch is usually a dependable brand and the early reviews are very good.

I hope Santa brings me one. I've been nice...

He's a traditionalist, I'm the 'latest thing' kind so will need to take a peek at this Bosch.

I'm sure he'll like any of the routers that have been suggested - it's good to hear the pros and cons from you guys that have been doing woodworking for years. He's done woodworking DIY home repairs, and bought tools as needed, but now that he's retired there's more time to do other stuff and learn new skills.

Thanks!

Charles Lent
12-02-2010, 9:14 AM
For doing dovetails I like my DeWalt 618 routers with the D handle bases. I use them with my Leigh D4R and am very happy with the combination. So much so that I bought the second DW618, which is very handy when doing half blind dovetails. It's no longer necessary to change the bits. I just change routers to cut the other half of the joint and no setup changes are necessary. Both of my 618 routers have the 3 bases and have proven to be so flexible that I rarely use any of my other 6 routers anymore.

Charley

Michael Drew
12-02-2010, 2:13 PM
I have a Bosch 1618 D handle router. Damn thing pisses me off every time I use it. Unless Bosch has made some serious changes from that POS, I'd be leery about Bosch. I love the smoothness of the motor and it's a quality piece of machinery, but there's some things about it that just don't work for me. I can't stand the quick rise / lower function and find it worthless or aggravating depending on my mood. The guide bushings are also pretty worthless as they are recessed and you loose support near the bit. Neat trick with the quick release to install them, but the stupid lever is always in the way when changing bits. You have to use extra long bits for just about everything I use it for to. I'd give the thing away but every once in a while, I just need the D handle, so I keep it.

I also have a Hitachi 12MV, that I never use. Too big and awkward. The router I tend to reach for 90% of the time is my old faithful, PC 690. It is tippy though and I like the idea of a router with a lower center of gravity.

I have not looked at the DW 618 before. Farly attractive price. Has anyone done some hands on comparison with it and the Milwaukee 5616?

Tom Walz
12-02-2010, 2:46 PM
Many online retailers are happy to make exchanges. We do it regularly for people who order the wrong items or just change their minds. Sure, it is a little work and expense for us and for the customer but people who are happy with what they buy and how they are treated are much more likely to become repeat customers.

It is not as much fun as hitting it right the first time but it is something to keep in mind.

In thirty years of selling tools I have come to the realization that people want the same thing they have been using but better. If it comes down to it you might consider a new router similar to the one he has been using in terms of switch location, handle shape etc. and other controls. it is not a certainty but it is the safe way to bet.

Barb Becker
12-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks again for everyone's help with this!

The DW618 looks especially good with the "$25 off $100" deal that Amazon is running on all the Dewalt tools. I'm looking at the DW618PK that comes with both bases but wasn't sure about the recommended HP - 1-3/4 or 2-1/4HP??

I see the 1-3/4HP is more expensive than the 2-1/4HP and would get it if the best for working in the Leigh jig. :confused: I'm guessing the 2-1/4HP since that's what most of the other recommended routers are but thought I better check.

(Then again, I also have that purty red Milwaukee 5616-24 in my cart too - purty, but more $$$$$ - maybe Amazon will have a major price drop for me before I pull the trigger on the DW618 . . .)

Doug Carpenter
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I would assume the 2 1/4 HP is just cheaper because of some promotion.

Personally I would prefer the larger horse power especially since you are getting the two bases. Power is always good.

The Millwakee will be a great choice as well. I have used many of thier tools professionally and I have never been dissapointed.

I'm sure others will chime in with great advice as well.

Barb Becker
12-05-2010, 8:49 AM
I would assume the 2 1/4 HP is just cheaper because of some promotion.

Personally I would prefer the larger horse power especially since you are getting the two bases. Power is always good.

The Millwakee will be a great choice as well. I have used many of thier tools professionally and I have never been dissapointed.

I'm sure others will chime in with great advice as well.

Thanks!! The Holidays are definitely the time to equip the shop with new toys :D

Amazon reviews on the Milwaukee are actually a bit better than the DW, some folks have had troubles with the VS models, but I put more faith in the comments here. (I've seen how some guys take care of their tools - it's no wonder they break or don't work right!)

Doug Carpenter
12-05-2010, 9:02 AM
I am also thinking that the "body grip" portion sounds like it would give you really good control of the tool. I think it would be great for dovetail jigs too. You don't want to tipping one way or the other when cutting dovetails.

I never put too much stock in the reviews. Information about the knobs and adjustmanets are fine but I veiw the negative posts differently.

Every manufacturing process generates defects no matter what it is. The interview give a voice to that small percentage with no follow up ar to how the manufacturer resolved the issue.

Either router will be great........ofcourse red does go with christmas.;)

John McClanahan
12-05-2010, 11:16 AM
This is kind of like asking "I'm going to buy a new car, what should I look at?" :D:D I have a Dewalt 618 kit with fixed, D handle and plunge bases. The D handle in the kit is why I chose the Dewalt. (and a real good price).

John

Michael Drew
12-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Barb,

I've had that Milwaukee in my cart for several months now, in the event that they lower the price to a point that I just couldn't pass up. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the price does not waver on the VS 2.25HP router kit. It stays about 220 plus or minus ten bucks. But, their other router, the 1.75 model without VS, has dropped to as low as 125. It took a lot of control to not buy two of them at that price, but I want VS, so I abstained.