PDA

View Full Version : Maple Vase

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 1:06 AM
Some of the hard maple that I have is starting to spalt a bit. This is a vase made of this hard maple. Couple of cracks in the spalting. I think the neck could be a bit thinner and the feature ring should either be wider or at least extend to the bottom. Nice wood to work. Fire away.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4129/5220300040_34caef674b_b.jpg

charlie knighton
11-30-2010, 2:02 AM
very nice, do not see this shape much, its a keeper

John Keeton
11-30-2010, 7:12 AM
Mark, I just bought a couple of books on SW forms, and this is a nice replication of a pretty consistent form in the book. The neck could be a little smaller, but still looks good. I disagree on the feature ring going to the bottom. I know you have done that successfully on some walnut pieces, but on this piece, I think having it a little more narrow (up from the bottom) might work, as well.

Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Really nice piece Mark. I do like the form and I like the ring at the bottom. I don't think I would have went to the bottom. Looks really good as is.

Richard Madden
11-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Looks good, Mark. A little different form, but I like it as is...feature ring and all.

Baxter Smith
11-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I am trying to imagine it as you described you would like it. It might be nicer but still very pretty as is.

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 2:20 PM
Thanks all.

Baxter, I think with a little smaller neck the piece would have a nicer curve. It would look a little more "vasey" and less like a carafe. The camera is adding a little weight, but even in the hand it is a bit thick. Nice thing about turning, I will try another.

John, A classic vase shape for sure. Along with my penchant for Native American forms I also like to spend time studying the Arts & Crafts potters. There are some pieces that American Terra Cotta (TECO) did that really grab me. One of these days I will do something in wood inspired by these.