PDA

View Full Version : Osage Orange bowl

Kelvin Burton
11-30-2010, 12:07 AM
This is my first posting to this forum, thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my most recent project. I've been turning for just over a year and recently got some green Osage Orange from trees on my cousin's farm in KY.

Scott Hackler
11-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Wow thats yellow! Looks good. Nice form and finish!

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 1:21 AM
Welcome aboard Kelvin. Very nice bowl. I love the look of the osage, such a nice bright color.

brian watts
11-30-2010, 1:41 AM
nice.. what finish did you use?

Thomas Canfield
11-30-2010, 1:42 AM
Welcome to posting here. Nice looking bowl Kevin. I expect to see it at the next East Texas Woodturners meeting Show & Tell.

Kelvin Burton
11-30-2010, 2:05 AM
Brian, it's called "Gem Coat Sealer" and it's in an aerosol. I bought it before I found a basic lacquer sanding sealer, but it gives a very nice finish.

Kelvin Burton
11-30-2010, 2:07 AM
Tom, it's for a Christmas gift and I need to mail it .. but I should have time after the Christmas party so I'll try and bring it to the unofficial "show without tell" :-)

John Keeton
11-30-2010, 7:09 AM
Kelvin, welcome and congrats on a nice looking bowl! Lots of Burtons here in KY - where is your cousin from? Oh yeah, lots of osage orange (hedgeapple) here, too!!:mad: Pretty wood, but don't like the stuff growing on my place. It can get invasive.

Kelvin Burton
11-30-2010, 10:32 AM
John, my dad's family are from the Owensboro area (my mom is from NZ). According to my cousin, his hedgerow is probably 100 years old and he'd like it gone! Said I could have all I want, but there's a limit to what you can fit in a Hyundai Santa Fe and it's very heavy wood when it's wet!

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Kelvin welcome to SMC. That is a great looking bowl. We do have a lot of osage orange around here so turn quite a bit. Sure does make the shop yellow when turning. Also I have found it turns a brown color over time but still is a pretty piece.

Kelvin Burton
11-30-2010, 1:51 PM
Bernie, I read that during the 1800's Osage Orange was planted all over the country as wind breaks, and especially after the dust bowl. A recent survey showed there was over 96,000 miles of it in wind breaks in the state of KS alone!