PDA

View Full Version : No. 25 - Black Walnut AKA Fireplace Log - "Critique Requested"

James Combs
11-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Was at my son's over the holidays and notice this old log by his fire place. It was very dry and the color of barn wood so I couldn't tell what it was but it seemed very solid so I told him I would like to take it home. Turned out to be some really old walnut. The sap wood was slightly spalted and was full of wormholes and was very punky. I was hoping to do a bowl out of it with a wormy spalted edge but it was just to far gone. The heartwood how ever was in great shape and dry as a bone. However, it was some of the darkest black walnut that I have turned.

Stats:
Material = Black Walnut (very black walnut:eek:)
Height = 3"
Diameter = 5.5"
Wall Thickness = Avg 3/16"
Finish = 1st coat of Danish Natural (more coats pending)

Ron Bontz
11-29-2010, 11:51 PM
Now that's some black walnut.

Ray Bell
11-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Nice save James. You made a very nice bowl, that will last forever out of something that would have been ashes.

Scott Hackler
11-30-2010, 12:11 AM
Nice job James. I think you've got a really pleasing shape to this bowl. Keep em coming!

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 1:14 AM
Jim,

That sure is some black walnut and a unique shape for sure. I like the top curve, but for me the size of the ogee and lift are a little too pronounced. I think a little more subtle an ogee and smaller foot would be more flattering to your top treatment. Just my 2 cents.

John Keeton
11-30-2010, 7:58 AM
I agree - some very dark walnut, but nice. This isn't my favorite form, but you did a nice job executing it. Mark's observations would produce a more pleasing form, IMO.

BTW, I edited your post to reduce the number of photos to the five maximum permitted photos.

James Combs
11-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I agree - some very dark walnut, but nice. This isn't my favorite form, but you did a nice job executing it. Mark's observations would produce a more pleasing form, IMO.

BTW, I edited your post to reduce the number of photos to the five maximum permitted photos.

Guess I need to go read the TOS again. Has there been a change?:confused: Most of my postings have been more then 5 photos typically 7-8 i.e. 1 profile, 4 sides, 1 top, 1 bottom and occasionally one more. The upload process use to stop you when you reached a certain cumulative size for the upload. I take it is different now?

Bernie Weishapl
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
James great looking bowl. That is some dark walnut.

Baxter Smith
11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Very nice walnut but the shape doesn't do much for me. I had to kind of laugh when I saw it though. I roughed a walnut bowl out a day or two ago
that had a somewhat similar shape. It was from a tree that had been down awhile, the sapwood had decayed and there were some bugs and cracks. I tried to turn away the cracks and save as much solid wood as possible but ended up with a shape that to my eye wasn't quite right. When its time to return, I will have to get rid of some nice wood to change that.

Lee Koepke
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Would a 'platter' underneath that bowl compliment the ogee shape? My minds eye would see that bowl 'coming up' from the platter ... just curious.

Michael James
11-30-2010, 1:05 PM
Beautiful chunk of walnut there James. I love black walnut that IS Black!
In my eye all these types of forms, and hollow forms seem top heavy as I tend to go for the width below, ctr and really have to work at moving it up. So my ambivalence isn't worth much there. But you did a great job on the finishing of the wood.

Christopher K. Hartley
11-30-2010, 7:23 PM
James, I like the form coupled with the deep rich color ot this wood. Good Job!!:)

Nathan Hawkes
11-30-2010, 10:30 PM
That is BLACK walnut alright! I like the flow of the top curve, and the opening, but I think the base could use a "girdle". It is a very nice piece though.