PDA

View Full Version : #One Walnut hollow

Ron Bontz
11-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Well I had a piece of walnut I was trying to save. So I decided to give it a whirl. Lots of cracks, catches, and it blew apart in two at one point. A little wood glue fixed it, sorta. It gave me a chance to try my new hollow master and #3 hunter swan. The Hunter seems a little small to me. At least on my first hollow. Anyway it's 9" dia. x 3-3/4" tall with a 3" lid and finial. The opening was only about 2" dia. but one catch and you guessed it. It became 3" in dia. The finial looks a little fat to me and not tall enough. I should go to Chicago and take a few lessons from some one up there. :) The finish is just several coats of Salad bowl finish by General. Oh and it is a little thick at about 5/16".

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Ron that is a nice save. Good looking walnut.

Mike Cruz
11-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Okay, maybe I'm just not the finial maven, but I think the finial suits the HF. I think it is in proportion to the piece. Too thin, and it no longer looks like you could use it even if you wanted to. And for the thickness, you wouldn't know if you didn't take the lid off. There's just more wood to love. :D

Ron Bontz
11-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks Bernie. It is definitely a learning process.

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 1:42 AM
Nice save for sure Ron. I hate the expanding entry wound. But it happens. Actually on this piece I think it works better. Being a larger wide form, the new opening allows the piece to be functional. I agree with Mike. I think the shorter finial works with the wider piece. Plus it begs the on looker to lift the lid. The ultra thins are really just eye candy. Although I have spent some time practicing I have only done a couple of pieces with finials. I am practicing now to do some ornaments.

John Keeton
11-30-2010, 7:16 AM
Ron, I agree with the others on this piece - the opening size works very well, and the finial says "I am a utilitarian piece - use me!" Very nice work, and that finish sure glows.

Nice photo tent setup, too!:D;)

bob svoboda
11-30-2010, 9:06 AM
Nice save. I like the form.