PDA

View Full Version : OT - Painting Fiberglass Tub???

Hal Peeler
12-31-2004, 2:27 PM
Has anyone here ever painted a fiberglass tub and surround? If so, how did you do it and what kind of paint did you use? I'm thinking of spraying epoxy but I don't know. Thanks in advance.
Hal

Jason Roehl
12-31-2004, 4:12 PM
Hal, I'm not sure what the guy uses, but there is a company near here (~50 miles) who will spray a tub and surround for about $275, with a 5 year warranty. I do believe he is getting a professional-grade coating that is not available to the general public. As for the 2-part epoxies at the Borgs, I have heard that you would be doing well to get 2-3 years out of them. Just make sure you use all the appropriate PPE if you do spray epoxy--they are particularly nasty in vapor or fine mist form.

One option may be to go to a paint store (such as Sherwin-Williams) and ask for an industrial 2-part epoxy. It would likely be a little pricey (~$80 for a gallon and a quart--4:1 mix), but would probably be better than the off-the-shelf stuff from the Borg. You'll likely need a specific reducer from them, and the epoxy has a burn-in time after you mix it. That is, it needs to sit for about 1/2 hour after you mix it up before you spray it. Then again, they may not sell it to you, either, if you are not a "professional".

Hope that helps.