PDA

View Full Version : Stanley tote w/ brass insert.

Paul Saffold
11-29-2010, 9:17 PM
I'm in the process of fettling a Stanley #6 type 13 I think ( one patent date, no ring at the front knob and a Sweet Heart blade). The tote and knob were pretty rough so I sanded them smooth and finished with shellac then waxed applied w/4x steel wool. They came out nice.

I smooth the bottom of totes, just a couple of swipes across 100 grit paper. I have something I hadn't seen before. My experience is quite limited. This is only my 5th tote with the 2nd screw. The front screw hole has a brass ring about 1/8" out from the hole.

I assume this is to help prevent splits. I've done older (2 type 11s) and some newer, but haven't seen this before. Comments welcome.

Paul

Jim Koepke
11-29-2010, 9:29 PM
Your tote looks like it might have been split already. This could be part of a repair done by a previous owner.

jtk

Ken Werner
11-29-2010, 9:33 PM
I think Jim is right. I've never seen that in the wild.

george wilson
11-29-2010, 9:41 PM
A clever and competent way to repair a split!!!

Paul Saffold
11-29-2010, 9:47 PM
Well, it's a nice job, that's for sure. There is no visible split when the tote is on the plane. I hope it holds up.

Thanks for your insight. Paul

James Taglienti
11-29-2010, 10:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that is factory, either production or experimental. I have seen it on a #4 1/2 before. Is the tote screw the usual dome-head, or is it flat? The one on the 4 1/2 was flat, countersunk.

Johnny Kleso
11-29-2010, 11:52 PM
I have seen that several times but have no idea if that was done at Factory or after market tote company..

I would think it needs to be done before shaping...

If I ever get one with a broken tote I'll have to remember to remove the ring from a better look..

Paul Saffold
11-30-2010, 6:29 AM
James, the screw is the usual round headed style.