PDA

View Full Version : Maple Drop Front Desk Progress

Matt Meiser
11-29-2010, 8:34 PM
I've been slowly working on the maple desk I previously posted about in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=150709). Hopefully the pace is going to pick up considerably this week since this project is due 3 weeks from Friday.

Hinges are from Horton Brasses, custom plated in a brushed nickle finish. Very glad I spent the extra money to do this. They sent brushed nickle hardware too but for now I'm using shorter, temporary screws. The hinges seem like they might be all that's needed to support the lid, but given that this is for an 8 year old I think I'm going to add additional supports (possibly just chain?)

Before someone asks, the lid is shorter than the sides due to necessary clearance between the lid and the top which will be sticking out some. A small fixed filler piece will go above. My next task actually. The bottom is long for now because I wasn't sure of the exact size until I got the hinges installed and figured out where the sides needed to go in relation to the bottom.

Matt Meiser
11-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I should really fix the clock in the shop for DST. Thought it was later than it was and that I was at a good stopping point. Since I had more time I continued.

The top gets a bevel so it won't look as chunky as it is right now.

bruce buren
11-30-2010, 7:53 AM
Very nice, looks great Matt! Also nice shop! I have tool envy!!!!!!!

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-30-2010, 8:44 AM
Looking good Matt. I like your nice simple solution to your question (in the other post) about how to deal with the frame/panel flatness on the inside of the lid.

How thick is that top? It will definitely look better with some sort of profile..

Matt Meiser
11-30-2010, 9:41 AM
John, take a look at the top on the dresser (http://mail.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=987842&postcount=25) to get an idea what it will look like.

Jimmy Williams
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Looking great Matt. Perhaps I missed it but what did you decide to do in order to get the writing surface flat?

I had to do something similar when making a desk (pictures in my album on here) and I think I over complicated it. I spent more time in trying to get the writing surface flat than I did on any other part of the build. LOML wants me to build another one as the first one was for a client but I need a better way to make that surface flat.

Keep up the good work and post more progress pictures when you get a chance.

Matt Meiser
11-30-2010, 1:01 PM
I ended up veneering some 1/2" baltic birch panels. The veneer is actually the same veneer I had used on the bed. Thinking I'd never use any more I got rid of it but it found its way back to me with perfect timing. Its unusually thick so it should hold up well. Since the panels are stable, I was able to glue the rails and stiles fully and it should remain very solid over time.

Jim Kountz
11-30-2010, 6:41 PM
Looking good Matt, keep the pics a coming!!

gary Zimmel
11-30-2010, 9:57 PM
Nice little project you got going there Matt.
Looking forward to the next update pics.

Matt Meiser
12-03-2010, 3:18 PM
I worked a very long day yesterday so I took a late extended lunch and got the assembly on the top done.

Next up is to build what is essentially a table that this will sit on top of. Then I need to build some kind of organizer to go inside.

Jim Rimmer
12-03-2010, 5:39 PM
Nice project. Looking forward to following the thread to completion.

Matt Meiser
12-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Moving right along, this afternoon and evening I built the base. The joinery here is 3 8x50 Dominos at each joint. (Note: I LOVE the Domino!) I set the top part on the base just to get a feel for the overall result but the top of the bottom, if that makes sense isn't there so obviously it looks a little funny right now. That panel is glued up--just need to level it, cut to size, and put the bevel on it to match the very top. I also need to disassemble and glue one of the sets of joints which were dry assembled because of open time on the glue. This has to be the squarest thing I've ever built with diagonals accurate to within the width of the marks on my tape measure. Must be some kind of mistake.

We don't want a chair in her room and instead decided on a stool. Since I have neither the skill or the time to get it done by Christmas, I found a company in Holland Michigan that makes unfinished maple stool kits so one of those is on the way. Also have a taller one on the way for the shop. Total for the order was $80 or so.

Dave MacArthur
12-05-2010, 2:24 AM
Looking great, and thankyou for continuing to post your progress--your project came right as I began researching similar for my boys. She'll love it.

Hans Braul
12-05-2010, 6:45 AM
The joinery here is 3 8x50 Dominos at each joint.

Could you elaborate? Are you referring to the leg-to-apron joints? Are they 3 in a row? Doesn't look like there's enough space. I assume you make one mortice tight and the remaining loose? I'm just getting into something similar and am considering options for the Domino.

Thanks
Hans

Matt Meiser
12-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, the leg-apron joints, 3 in a row. The 8x50mm Dominos are right about 3/4" wide and my aprons are 4" so that leaves 7/16" between each and between the top and bottom. Pretty similar in area to a tenon. I just used my adjustable square to carefully marked each one on the adjacent face using the top of each apron and leg as a reference. Then I cut the Dominos on the narrow setting. Its a perfect snug fit that just needs to be tapped together.

glenn bradley
12-05-2010, 10:58 AM
She's really coming along nicely. Thanks for letting us ride along.

Joe Leigh
12-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Nice work Matt...love the crisp clean look of maple.

gary Zimmel
12-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Looks like you are getting close to the home stretch on this one Matt.
As Glenn said thanks for taking the time to do the progress pics.

Matt Meiser
12-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Hans, here's a shot of the Domino slots. Sorry for the focus--had to hold the camera up high.

Hans Braul
12-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks Matt. I've never attempted this before, assuming that I wouldn't be able to get close enough to avoid having to force the joint together. You've done well though, and I'll give it a try. Not sure it will really make much difference though. If I made all the leg mortices tight, and two out of the three apron mortices loose, then the "sloppy" fit is where there is long grain to long grain glue surface. Not likely to move, or at least that's my theory. Thoughts?

Hans

John Morrison60
12-05-2010, 5:30 PM
Matt

I also use (and love) Dominos for this type of joinery.
I am curious as to why you used three in this joint.
At first glance, I think I would have used two, mainly from previous habit.

Is it stronger with the three?
I have a bench that I am beginning to cut, and I have some joints
that I would like to be as strong as possible.

Your project looks terrific.
Take care
John

Matt Meiser
12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
John, I used 3 because I felt it would be strongest. I did a test with a 10MM domino and was able to break out the side but I couldn't easily do so with an 8mm. The 7/16" spacing seemed to give good strength that direction. I would think more is better until you get to the point where you are compromising the strength of the remaining wood.

Yesterday I got the bottom-top made which was the final piece. I'm waiting on some figure-8 table top fasteners so I can join everything together, I need to drill a hole through the bottom back corner for a cord grommet and I need to go over it one last time with some 220 grit paper but other that that its ready for the finishing process. We decided to forgo the organizer over space concerns.

We bought a nice bright LED light at Lowes which I'll mount inside under the top after finishing. I like the LED because I don't have to worry about heat around all the paper she'll shove in there.

Matt Meiser
12-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Got the stool kit today from Holland Hardwoods. Its just dry fitted for the photo--I need to glue and screw it at lunch. Then onto finishing. I wish I could have found something with square legs but this will ultimately look fine. Holland makes a stool that would have been perfect but its not available in maple. The quality seems excellent and the price was $43 delivered. I bought a taller, pre-assembled one in oak for use in the shop for $50 delivered. These are made right here in Michigan even.

Jeff Monson
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Looks great Matt, nice project.

Domino's really shine on this type of joinery, I use the same method for aprons also, all on the tight setting.

Art Mulder
12-09-2010, 1:03 PM
Matt, I've built a stool with pocket hole screws... it is not that hard, and lets you have those square legs you wanted. A flat top makes it even easier.
But the one you've bought looks fine.

Matt Meiser
12-09-2010, 1:44 PM
After a conference call that ran through lunch I went out, gave it a quick sanding, and glued it up with screws through all the joints as supplied and recommended by the manufacturer. Nice kit.

Art Mulder
12-09-2010, 2:34 PM
Slick. Is it getting a tint, or staying natural? I'll have to show my wife, that might suit our daughter also. (mostly since you can just close it up and hide the mess!)

I think I would run the taper higher on the legs. Was that from a plan, or just a design decision? It's just my preference -- so glad we all don't like the same thing!

great job, Matt!

Matt Meiser
12-09-2010, 3:07 PM
It just gets a clear finish which will give it a little more golden color. Target EM2000 to be exact.

I struggled with what to do on the legs. This matches the night stand exactly, but that has a shelf that sits right above where the taper ends so that's why I did the table that way. Her dresser and book shelf also have short tapers into long straight runs on the stiles. I played with what to do in Sketchup and felt like it looked a little better with them run all the way up to the apron but then I felt like it didn't match the other stuff so I decided to keep it short.

(mostly since you can just close it up and hide the mess!)

Exactly!

Jim Becker
12-09-2010, 9:37 PM
Matt, that's a really nice piece and is coming together in a great way.

Don Alexander
12-10-2010, 12:47 AM
very nicely done project

Paul Murphy
12-10-2010, 8:51 AM
Matt, I'll bet your daughter will really like her custom built desk! The fact that it matches the other furniture you made for her only makes it more special. Nice detail with the LED lighting!

Matt Meiser
12-11-2010, 9:28 PM
I got the finish applied yesterday and today and got the assembly done this afternoon. In a week or so I'll apply some wax.

The finish is Target's waterborne shellac applied with a rag, followed by several coats of Target EM2000wx. The color is more like the yellow-toned photos than the white-toned ones.

Edit: Can't figure out why the photos are showing as links instead of images. Sorry!

gary Zimmel
12-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Really nice finished product Matt. Your daughter must be proud..
Thanks for taking us for the ride.
(as a side note, I hope the new system will end up showing thumb nails of pics again)

Matt Meiser
12-12-2010, 9:28 AM
Looks like Aaron must have fixed the images. Daughter doesn't know yet. Not 'til Christmas. ;)

Jim Becker
12-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Outstanding project, Matt. And a lovely Christmas gift!

Roy Wall
12-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Beautiful work Matt -- excellent!

Kyle Kaldor
12-15-2010, 9:46 AM
Matt, it looks great and I'm sure your daughter will love it.

My grandpa made me a similar one when I was in high school. He made it for me, but he let me do the finishing. Mine has a pretty complicated mechanism for the drop front, which pushes out a support on each side of the desk when opened. I can take a pic and send it to you if you'd like.

Matt Meiser
12-15-2010, 9:52 AM
Kyle, I've seen something like that on some Amish ones we looked at last summer for ideas. After finishing, I don't think I need any additional support. The way the top opens and rests on the bottom-top gives it nice support, and for all intents and purposes the lid is one solid piece--lots of glue surfaces there.