PDA

View Full Version : Question about Millers Falls Miter Boxes

David Weaver
11-29-2010, 8:08 PM
As can be easily seen in the classifieds below, I'm trying to find a box to go with a simonds 27" miter saw.

I have seen the millers falls 74 miter box listed as being able to take a 28" saw. I have also seen people state that they had one with a 24" saw. There is a local guy with one answering a CL ad of mine, and his also has a 24" saw.

Can anyone tell me for certain if the thing will take my saw before I get back to the guy? He's over an hour away, so I don't want to take my saw just to test fit it.

I already have a box with a 22" saw, and don't want to end up with another box that won't take my saw (the box in question has a weld, so it'd be a boat anchor if I had to sell it).

Gary Herrmann
11-29-2010, 11:08 PM
Length doesn't "matter" other than you'll have to work a bit to use a shorter saw. More important is the depth of the saw. I've got a nbr 74. My saw has a 28" blade with 26" of teeth and a bit less than 5" of depth. Not sure of the exact number.

The pic below comes from the Miller Falls 1939 catalog and lists the boxes and their corresponding saw sizes.

At some point, I believe there was even a nbr 76 size box.