PDA

View Full Version : Jointing on Table Saw?

Steve H Graham
11-29-2010, 7:49 PM
Today I used the band saw to cut a 7" wide walnut board into six 7" by 16.5" pieces, which I plan to turn into a guitar body. There will be a 3/4" section in the middle and two thinner sections for the top and bottom. Each section will be made from two pieces of bookmatched wood, joined side by side.

Question: is it possible to do the jointing on the edges of the wood with a table saw? I have a planer and jointing sled, but I don't look forward to standing these thin slabs on end and trying to joint them. I guess I could clamp them together so they form a block, and then I could joint the edges of the block.

Also: is it okay to resaw 7" wide walnut boards with a 1/4" blade? My saw didn't stall or anything, and the cuts are good, but I don't want any problems. I have a bigger resawing blade, but I would like to avoid blade changes.

Finally: Is there an intelligent way to join these pieces? Should I create the three two-board layers separately and then put them together, or just cram all six pieces together at once and clamp them up?

glenn bradley
11-29-2010, 8:17 PM
I have a wide jointer and planer but frequently go from the tablesaw to glue up for edge jointing.

Steve H Graham
11-29-2010, 8:19 PM
I couldn't think of any reason not to use the table saw, but I thought I should check.

Bill Huber
11-29-2010, 8:44 PM
I do it all the time.

I have a good glue line rip blade and cut one on the right side of the blade and the mate on the left side of the blade. This way if the blade is not at 90, say 89.9 it will make not difference and the will mate flat.

Dave Zellers
11-29-2010, 9:08 PM
I do it all the time.

I have a good glue line rip blade and cut one on the right side of the blade and the mate on the left side of the blade. This way if the blade is not at 90, say 89.9 it will make not difference and the will mate flat.

Or flip the 2nd board over and then rip.

I learned that trick here! If I could remember who it was, I'd give him credit.:)

Don Bullock
11-29-2010, 9:25 PM
I used the table saw for jointing for many years with no problems. Just make sure your fence is aligned properly and you have a sharp blade.

Joe Spear
11-29-2010, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Zellers;1570555]Or flip the 2nd board over and then rip.

Or double-stick tape the two boards together face to face or back to back and edge-rip the stack. Flip open the book, and the two edges go together perfectly. That's the way I do it.

Bill Huber
11-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Or flip the 2nd board over and then rip.

I learned that trick here! If I could remember who it was, I'd give him credit.:)

I tried that but I got all screwed up with which side was which and just went back to using both sides of the blade. I think it would easier to do it with the flip but I am old..... :D