PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Eastman Tritan copolyester plastic?

Linda Smith Alabama
11-29-2010, 7:15 PM
Does anyone know if Eastman Tritan engraves well? It says bpa-free and impact resistant and I found that it is a copolyester by googling. I have someone who asked if I could engrave on glasses made of this material. I can get one from Walmart and try it but some of you may already know.

Larry Bratton
11-29-2010, 7:45 PM
Have not engraved any, but on Eastman's site it states it has a "high resistance to thermal shock" and isn't that essentially what you do when you engrave it. Be interesting to see. Let us know the results of your test if you do it.

Linda Smith Alabama
12-06-2010, 9:32 PM
It blew a lot of white residue during engraving, but turned out pretty well. Here's the result. I ran it at 100% speed 18% power on a Chinese 60w laser.

Larry Bratton
12-07-2010, 9:40 AM
Thanks for posting it. It looks good. Good to know that it will work.

Dion Black
02-25-2024, 7:08 AM
Does anyone know if Eastman Tritan engraves well? It says bpa-free and impact resistant and I found that it is a copolyester by googling. I have someone who asked if I could engrave on glasses made of this material. I can get one from Walmart and try it but some of you may already know.

Wow - this is an old thread. But for anyone who finds it, my daughters' needed water bottles for school and university respectively. I found some great Tritan water bottles at a "plastic" shop. Brand is Snappy, made from Tritan. Seeing as I am in the business, I used my old (about 5 years old) 30W MOPA M1 fiber laser to engrave their names on the sides of the bottles and it worked perfectly. Single default Hatch of 0.05mm, 1000mm/s, 50% power, 150KHz Frequency, 10ns Pulse Width. Font used was Arial Bold, about 1cm high.