PDA

View Full Version : Will Harbor Freight staplers accept other brands of staples?

Louis Brandt
11-29-2010, 5:40 PM
Hello,

I just bought a Harbor Freight narrow crown stapler, and Harbor Freight doesn't have a very large selection of staple sizes. Does anyone know whether Harbor Freight's narrow crown stapler will accept other brands of staples?

Thanks,
Louis

Don Dorn
11-29-2010, 5:56 PM
Can't say that I've bought staples for it, but mine is a combo brad/stapler and I bought Bostich brads and they work fine, so I'd feel pretty safe buying the same brand in staples.

Charlie Barnes
11-29-2010, 9:19 PM
I just borrowed my neighbor's HF stapler about a month ago and used Bostich staples in it. It worked fine.

Charlie

Louis Brandt
11-29-2010, 9:41 PM
Thanks, I was hoping that I could use other brands, since Harbor Freight's selection is not very good. I just didn't want to take a chance with another brand if there was a chance of the staples jamming.

Louis

Dave Lehnert
11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Make no difference what brand it is BUT..... They must be the same size/Gauge.

Louis Brandt
11-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Yes, I know that the staples must be the same size and same gauge. The reason that I asked the question is that I've read many posts where one brand of finish or brad nails wouldn't work in another brand's nailer, and I was just concerned about the possibility of running into the same problem with staplers.

Jay Allen
11-30-2010, 7:18 PM
You didn't really state which one specifically, but I would assume that most of them are similar....that may or may not be a fair assumption though?
The one I have is an older model that I don't think they even sell anymore. It has a 1" capacity, but I rarely shoot anything other than 1/2" staples though it. It has shot many different brands though. Porter Cable, Bostitch, Campbell Hausfield, Senco, and even some no-names in plain white boxes...all fit and worked well.

The biggest difference I have seen in staples and 18Ga brads is not in the staple or nail itself, it's in the length of the "sticks" It seems that the manifacturers can'/won't standardize the magazine length. So they vary the length of their brand of consumables.
I have a 1.25" DeWalt 18ga brad nailer that absolutely will not take a full stick of Proter Cable nails if there are more than two left from the last one. The Porter Cable sticks are longer than some of the others.