PDA

View Full Version : Is renaissance wax...

Edwin Dodds
11-29-2010, 4:48 PM
considered "food safe"? It produces beautiful results, but how safe is it on a bowl to be used for fruit or nuts, etc.?
Thanks.

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2010, 7:45 PM
I probably wouldn't use it on food items. Just my opinion. Most of my utility items get antique oil for nut dishes, chip dishes, etc. Anything used for food I use Mike Mahoney's walnut oil. No waxes at all.

John Keeton
11-29-2010, 7:55 PM
The MSDS is here (http://www.prochemical.com/MaterialSafety/Waxes/Microcrystalline%20Wax.pdf) and it would indicate no harmful effects from ingestion. I think my take on it is that one uses so little on a piece, that it is doubtful any harmful consequences would occur. But, there are probably better ways to finish a utility bowl as Bernie mentioned.

George Guadiane
11-29-2010, 8:20 PM
If I understand correctly, microcrystaline wax doesn't digest. Kind of like bubble gum.
If that is true, the only thing that MIGHT be an issue is whatever is used to soften/suspend the wax.
I just took a little bottle of warmed up vodka and some melted microcrystaline wax and mixed them together. The results is pliable wax that goes on easily enough and comes back off except for enough to produce a sheen.
I used to chew paraffin wax like chewing gum, back in the day when we used it to wax our surfboards.
There isn't an entire fingernail full on the whole salad bowl, I'm feeling fairly confident that the finish is food safe.

Unless one has alcohol issues, this could be a viable solution to wax finishing.

Michael James
11-29-2010, 8:28 PM
I just took a little bottle of warmed up vodka and some melted microcrystaline wax and mixed them together. The results is pliable wax that goes on easily enough and comes back off except for enough to produce a sheen.

Unless one has alcohol issues, this could be a viable solution to wax finishing.

ummmm, only if you drink it, or using antabuse as aversion therapy.

charlie knighton
11-29-2010, 8:33 PM
r wax may change your smooth finish if you turn end grain on the end grain :confused:

Barry Elder
11-29-2010, 9:41 PM
I don't know that you would use Ren. Wax on the inside of a bowl anyway. It is normally used to stop fingerprints from being left on the piece.

Harry Robinette
11-29-2010, 10:00 PM
I use George's Club House Wax I get it from Woodcraft. It's made for food safe use. Nice product works really well .

Ralph Lindberg
11-30-2010, 11:11 AM
considered "food safe"? It produces beautiful results, but how safe is it on a bowl to be used for fruit or nuts, etc.?
Thanks.

Edwin. Renaissance Wax is a based on the same petro-chemicals as Mineral Oil. The difference is the molecular chain is longer (ie solid rather then liquid).

So, it's safe, but non-digestable. If you ate a lot it might plug up your system, but certainly not the micro-amounts that would come off a bowl.

Ralph Lindberg
11-30-2010, 11:12 AM
I use George's Club House Wax I get it from Woodcraft. It's made for food safe use. Nice product works really well .

Almost, but not quite, the same stuff.

Scott Hackler
11-30-2010, 12:09 PM
There is always bee's wax for a waxed finish. A fellow creeker, who I cant remember which one right now, uses bee's wax mixed with something else for a food safe finish. Shoot I used to chew honey comb as a kid for a treat. Cant say that there has been any serious effects on me. (my wife might argue that).

Ralph Lindberg
11-30-2010, 2:08 PM
Scott
George's wax is bee's wax and mineral oil, might be what you are thinking of

Edwin Dodds
11-30-2010, 4:58 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys! Much appreciated.
To those who have used George's wax - does it show finger marks and water marks?

Dale Bright
11-30-2010, 5:18 PM
I make my own wax with walnut oil and bee's wax. I just cut the bee's wax into small 1" cubes, put them into a short wide mouth glass jar, like salsa comes in. I fill the jar about 3/4 full of the wax cubes and then pour in the walnut oil until almost full. Put into the micro wave and heat slowly until the wax melts and stir well and when cooled and soild you have a Walnut Oil Wax.

Dale

Roger Wilson
11-30-2010, 6:10 PM
See link for article by Bob Flexner, a recognized expert on finishes, on this issue. He's also got a similar article in the AAW magazine within the last 5 or 6 years.

Here is his conclusion:

"The shame for woodworkers is that a lot of energy is spent on the issue of food safeness when none is warranted. Food safeness is a non-issue because there's no evidence of any problem. So far as we know, all finishes are safe to eat off of, and safe for children to chew on, once the finish has fully cured (the rule of thumb being 30 days)."

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/finish3.html

Jeff Nicol
11-30-2010, 9:49 PM
There is always bee's wax for a waxed finish. A fellow creeker, who I cant remember which one right now, uses bee's wax mixed with something else for a food safe finish. Shoot I used to chew honey comb as a kid for a treat. Cant say that there has been any serious effects on me. (my wife might argue that).
Scott, I use food grade mineral oil and bees wax melted together to create a paste that when you rub it on, the heat in your hands and a little friction melt it right into the wood. Once the oil has soaked in the wax is left mostly on the surface and can be buffed out for a nice glow. It can be re-applied after use and cleaning to maint tain a good seal against moisture but not complete submersion in hot water for extended periods of time. No dishwasher either!

Did you get a box today?

Jeff

John Keeton
12-01-2010, 6:13 AM
In this "home brew", has anyone used Carnauba wax in lieu of beeswax? Just curious as it would seem to be a harder wax. And, I guess one could head toward Shellawax by adding in some shellac to the mix!

Ralph Lindberg
12-01-2010, 11:15 AM
In this "home brew", has anyone used Carnauba wax in lieu of beeswax? Just curious as it would seem to be a harder wax. And, I guess one could head toward Shellawax by adding in some shellac to the mix!

If my half-brain is working Richard Raffan has used Carnauba