PDA

View Full Version : Wood Purchase Questions

Rob Holcomb
11-29-2010, 4:43 PM
I bought two 3" x 3" x 18" Black Walnut turning blanks and they are sealed in wax. They aren't dry and the company I purchased them from stated this at the time of purchase. What I need to know is 1. What is the best method for removing the wax except for the end grain to speed up the drying process and 2. What method would be the best to determine how soon they will be ready to be turned? Weight like with bowls? Moisture meter? Other method? Thanks in advance.

Sean Hughto
11-29-2010, 4:52 PM
A hand scraper and/or handplane will quickly remove the wax on the long grain.

If you're making goblets for Christmas, you probably aren't gonna have dry stock in time unless they are most of the way there already.

Scott Hackler
11-29-2010, 4:53 PM
Just curious, but why wouldnt you just turn the blanks to rough shape, dry (using whatever method you like) and return them to the lathe for final shaping and finishing?

Black Walnut, green, is really wet and it will check pretty easily on the end grain if left unsealed. It might take forever to dry those blanks out if you did manage to scrape all the wax off the side grain.

Rob Holcomb
11-29-2010, 4:58 PM
Making Goblets was my original plan for the holidays but I couldn't find any dry blanks. I bought these for use in the future. I do know where I can get them kiln dried but I would have to remove the wax and I am concerned about checking and cracking. I'm just not sure what would be the best way to go about getting these blanks ready some time down the road.

Jeff Nicol
11-29-2010, 6:17 PM
Rob, How tall are you going to turn the goblets? The 3x3x18 is that for 2 out of that size? If so send me a PM and I think I can help you out with some dry stuff.

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2010, 7:35 PM
Rob I definitely wouldn't take the wax off to speed drying. I did that early in my time of turning. You will go out and find it will have checked and cracked. Two expensive blanks were turned into pen blanks.

brian watts
11-30-2010, 1:38 AM
Rob, How tall are you going to turn the goblets? The 3x3x18 is that for 2 out of that size? If so send me a PM and I think I can help you out with some dry stuff.

Jeff

if you need a piece or so let me know what size i will look . p.m. me