PDA

View Full Version : Jatoba for Outdoor project

Larry Fox
11-29-2010, 4:25 PM
I searched a bit and didn't find anything immediately so I thought I would just ask. I am replacing the slats on a garden bench for my parents. I have some Jatoba that I was planning to use it and leave it unfinished.

Is it suited for such a purpose? Anyone think of a reason I should not go this route? If you are recommending that I finish it - what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Bob Rossi
11-29-2010, 5:32 PM
I have used for the same purpose that you describe. I live in Michigan and leave my bench uncovered year round. It has gone through about 5 winters now and it is holding up fine. It does turn a silver/grey color though.

Damon Stathatos
11-29-2010, 5:43 PM
Jatoba is a very good wood for outdoors and a lot sell it in decking sizes for just that purpose. I've used it for a barbeque table (a combo of jatoba and cocobolo) and it's held up well however I put some fairly decent coats of tung oil on to try to give it at least some protection.

We also had done some jatoba/cocobolo benches and coffee tables designed for outdoor use and sold a few of them. I'm not sure if they actually ever made it outside but have had no subsequent complaints.

Larry Fox
11-29-2010, 6:17 PM
Thanks Bob and Damon - I appreciate the time.