PDA

View Full Version : Behlen's Rock Hard Varnish Reducer

Brett Bobo
11-29-2010, 4:02 PM
What product is a reducer or thinner for Behlen's Rock Hard Varnish, i.e. mineral spirits, DNA, etc.? I know Behlen's makes a specific reducer but I thought I could forego the marketing ploy and thin it myself to make a wiping varnish.

The directions indicate the consistentcy is for brushing applications but I'd prefer to rag it on to apply thinnner coats and build the finish. If I'm ragging it on, does it need to be thinned? In other words, if the product can be brushed on, which would provide a thicker coat, I figured ragging it on would be even more acceptable without thinning it. If it does need to be thinned to rag on, what ratio would you use?

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Scott Holmes
11-29-2010, 4:46 PM
Having used Behlen's many times I recommend using their reducer to thin to wiping consistancy. thin it 50/50 varnish to reducer to make a wipe-on. 3 or 4 wipe on coats equals one brush on coat as far as build is concerned.

MS is fine for clean up but; their reducers seems to work better in their product.

Brett Bobo
11-29-2010, 4:59 PM
Scott,
As always, thanks! I'll be off to Woodcraft again this week to pickup the reducer.

Homer Faucett
12-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I have never used the Behlen's reducer, but have never found the need to do pay the extra money considering how well MS has worked for me in thinning RockHard. YMMV.