PDA

View Full Version : Finishing drawers for Pantry

matt swiderski
11-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey all,
I have built a pantry and would like to install pull out drawers for it. However I am confused about what to finish the drawers with. I am using birch as the sides, and prefinished maple as the bottom. After doing some research, I have found that poly will have an oder for a long time, is this just oil base poly or water based poly too? I have also thought about shellac. Do you all have any ideas where I wont be smelling the finish after I install them? Thanks for helping.
Matt

Howard Acheson
11-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Waterborne acrylic or shellac will work just fine. It's oil based finishes that have the lingering odor.

matt swiderski
12-02-2010, 2:47 PM
That's what I thought. Just wanted to make sure before I started. Thanks for the response.
Matt

Mike De Luca
12-02-2010, 5:01 PM
Have you looked into pre-catalyzed lacquer...?

Wears like cast iron. I've seen spray cans of it at the local woodworkers store, but haven't looked into spraying it from a pressure pot... old school here...

The spray cans might be okay for a small job...

Once set you can wipe it off with acetone... great stuff...

Jim Becker
12-02-2010, 9:08 PM
Have you looked into pre-catalyzed lacquer...?

Pre-cat lacquer isn't something that should be used without a proper application environment for safety reasons. The same applies to "regular" solvent-based lacquers. For this reason, Howie's recommendations would also be my own...Shellac or a water borne product. I use either, depending on the project if I decide to even finish the drawer boxes.

Scott Holmes
12-02-2010, 9:44 PM
I do drawer cases with either shellac or water-borne.

Joe Chritz
12-03-2010, 7:38 AM
Regular out of the can and thinned to 2# Bullseye shellac here.

Joe