PDA

View Full Version : School/Training question

Jim Underwood
11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I would like to teach and demonstrate woodturning. I have one student now, and have demonstrated turning my minature birdhouses for two clubs.

I have been turning since late 2004 and have become fairly good at it. However, I find that some of my skills need improvement and would like to attend some weeklong hands-on classes in order to be able to impart some of that knowledge to others.

Looking toward teaching in the future, if you were to attend a Southeastern school (I can't afford to fly out west) in 2011, which one would you attend, what classes would you take, and with whom?

David E Keller
11-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I know you ruled out flying west, but Vegas flights are pretty cheap generally. You could look into the Jimmy Clewes course at his house. It's a little cheaper than some others I've looked into. I'm interested in seeing some other recommendations.

Scott Lux
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Well, there's the Lux School of Woodturning and Sarcasm.

You come to Ohio, stand in a chilly garage and teach me what you know about wood turning. If you can make me a decent turner, you're a great teacher.

Then I'll teach you what I know about sarcasm. Yeah, right. Like I'm going to do that! (First lesson's free)

Jack Mincey
11-29-2010, 10:59 AM
You miight want to check and see if Nick Cook will let you come by and hang out in his shop for some lessons or take one of the coarses offered at Highland Hardware. Both should be close to where you live.
Jack

Mark Hubl
11-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Jim, I don't know who I would take a class with. Most of my classes have been via DVD's. Using these has been very helpful to me. If I was to go to a class I would probably look at Ellsworth, Grumbine, Mahoney or Clewes. I have heard nothing but good things about Ellsworth, Grumbines and Clewes classes, and I really like Mahoney's approach as well.

If you are going to do some teaching to kids or newbs you may want to check out the aaw site. They have a nice guideline for instruction.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Jim,

Here's one not too far away... http://www.arrowmont.org/

No connections with it but a former Creeker Chris Barton took turning lessons there and was pleased with it.

John Keeton
11-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Jim, I have neither taught nor demonstrated woodturning yet, though I have been asked to do so by our Woodcraft store. It is my feeling that the biggest asset is the "ability to teach" rather than the actual turning skill involved. Not to say your ability to turn is not important - certainly you must have something to teach. But, holding an audience, or being able to convey to another individual, the material involved is of primary importance. After all, it isn't what you know that is important, but what the student leaves with that is important.

I know nothing of your communication skills, but in addition to the skill set, this would be something I would consider.

And, Arrowmont is world reknown, BTW!

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I would like to go to Arrowmont. Also have attended a couple of Mahoney's demo's and like his approach.

Jim Burr
11-29-2010, 2:53 PM
Mahoney is a staff instructor at CSUSA. I really, really want to head to Utah and do one of the 5 days classes with him and Dale Nish ;)

Ray Bell
11-29-2010, 4:19 PM
Jim, I have neither taught nor demonstrated woodturning yet, though I have been asked to do so by our Woodcraft store. It is my feeling that the biggest asset is the "ability to teach" rather than the actual turning skill involved. Not to say your ability to turn is not important - certainly you must have something to teach. But, holding an audience, or being able to convey to another individual, the material involved is of primary importance. After all, it isn't what you know that is important, but what the student leaves with that is important.

I know nothing of your communication skills, but in addition to the skill set, this would be something I would consider.

And, Arrowmont is world reknown, BTW!

Mucho ditto's on John's observations. I once took a class on Catholicism. The instructor happened to be a medical doctor, but was a born instructor. He was very interesting, and not only good at keeping your attention, he kept you coming back for more. I would happily attend any lecture, on any subject he would be willing to give. I wish he was a woodturning instructor

Bill Bulloch
11-29-2010, 5:09 PM
Nick Cook is a local boy with a teaching studio. I have never taken one of his classes, but he demonstrated at our club two months ago and I was impressed with him and his work. You might want to look at his web site.

Dennis Ford
11-29-2010, 6:57 PM
here is another one that should not be too far.
www.folkschool.org

Lee Koepke
11-29-2010, 8:30 PM
What part of N Ga are you ???
I am gonna be in Blairsville this weekend :cool:

The John C Campbel Folk School is supposed to be good. They have a variety of classes for woodturning. Heard good things about some of their other classes.

Harry Robinette
11-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Jim
I've been to John C Campbell 3 times and couldn't say enought good things about the whole place.I work part time for Woodcraft in Cleveland Oh. and I also teach classes on turning there.I love teaching and turning both but teaching is definately the harder one.The trick to teaching for me is being able to correct the students mistakes and show them how not to do it agian and if they do how to fix it.Also a good hand out is always a really good place to start.

Ray Bell
11-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Harry's statement "I love teaching" is the key IMOP. We have all had teachers/instructors that have made a difference in our lives. You have to be one of those!

Jim Underwood
11-30-2010, 9:13 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

Lee- It's a little far... I'm about 2-1/2 hours from Blairsville. Plus this weekend I'm going to visit a local juried show to get ideas for how to make a huge impact next year... I'm looking for display and booth ideas. I took my turnings to the local fall festival last month, and I can tell you that's the hardest $100 I ever made. It was worth the education... but I'm NOT doing that again!

John - You make a good point. I really do like to teach. I have some gifts in that area, but I could certainly improve. I have read several articles about demonstrating/teaching woodturning, but in the end it all comes down to interaction between student and instructor... This is something that is learned by doing...

As is improving turning skills.

I'm primarily interested in improving my turning skills first. It's hard to teach something you're still a bit fuzzy on...:rolleyes:

Hence my desire to find a good instructor and a good week-long class - preferably at John C Campbell or Arrowmont which are within driving distance...(yes Nick Cook is an aquaintance of mine who has demonstrated for our club several times)

However, I will certainly factor in other solutions. There are accomplished turners I know that are close by, and I could certainly visit them on weekends and evenings.... I hadn't really thought of that since I was fixated on the craft schools. (Man! I would love to spend about 6 months taking all the classes at John C Campbell!)

Jim Underwood
11-30-2010, 9:19 AM
Scott,

I think I have the sarcasm nailed down a little too well, thanks very much!:D I certainly wouldn't mind coming over and puttering around your shop though... It might be a tad fur to drive though...

Jim Underwood
11-30-2010, 9:32 AM
As for the other suggested instructors...

I've seen Mike Mahoney demonstrate several times. He's a very good instructor. I've also met him and spoken with him several times. I found him to be a very courteous, thoughtful, and respectful man. I would take a class from him in a heartbeat...

I've heard nothing but good things about Bill Grumbine. Perhaps I'll consider visiting him... I first bumped into his website when I was in the boat-building craze (which never materialized) and saw a picture of him "Out standing in his field". It's a corny joke that never fails to make me chuckle...

I keep hearing about Jimmy Clewes also. He's another instructor that by all accounts is a good one. He teaches a couple times a year at ChoiceWoods... and that's within (just barely) driving distance of me.

I could also look up Frank Penta who has demonstrated for our club. He's chalk full of ideas, and appears to be a good instructor. Wish I lived a bit closer. He has a brand new three floor shop now...

I guess I really should take advantage of all the good turners in this area- Nick Cook among them... Others that come to mind are Frank Bowers, Mark Sillay, Joe Gettys, Phil Colson, Hal Simmons...

Trouble with visiting all those turners piecemeal is that it takes up lots of weekends...:( I'd like to take a week off and just be in one place with an instructor and some hands-on time...:)

Dan Hintz
11-30-2010, 10:18 AM
On that note, I would love to see a listing of respected turners/teachers and their area of residence (or at least where they often teach).

james glenn
11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
I second that, as a newbie to this it would be extremely helpful.

Jim Underwood
11-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Well... if you become an AAW member before Dec 31st you can request a copy of their resources guide and member directory. Usually instructors (and those posing as instructors:D) are listed as such...