View Full Version : A few stoppers

Ken Hill
11-29-2010, 8:36 AM
All Ruth Niles SS
Cocobolo, Walnut, Flamed osage, Honey Locust, Curly maple
http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR3116/1108539187_oDpZm-L.jpg

John Keeton
11-29-2010, 8:49 AM
So, the size of the turning is inversely proportionate to the intensity of the back pain?!?!?:rolleyes:

Nice work, Ken! Your game call background really shines on these.

Ken Hill
11-29-2010, 8:51 AM
These were turned last week, but just setting them in place for the picture was painful enough:( I cant sit still, I managed to get a 5 gal. can of kero into the shop, filled a heater and then the dang thing wont work:mad: Its 20 degrees here, beautiful morning to be in the stand and I cant make it there ...especially in slippers! (cant get my boots on:mad:)

Frustrated is beyond my condition haha:cool:

Rick Robbins
11-29-2010, 8:55 AM
those are nice Ken i also make Game Call's. i like your Finish's nice. Rick

Jim Burr
11-29-2010, 9:55 AM
Just think Ken...all that cold will help reduce the inflammation in your back! Go shirtless and be healed!! :D:D:D Nice stoppers too!;)

gary Zimmel
11-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Nice little herd you've got going there Ken.
Got to love those coco ones...

Mark Hubl
11-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Those are sweet. I love coco bottle stoppers. Hope the back heals up fast.

brian watts
11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
very nice KEN .. iam going to try them soon

Bernie Weishapl
11-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Really nice stoppers Ken. Get well soon.

Ken Hill
11-30-2010, 6:04 AM
Thanks folks, I have many more to make thankfully!

They are fun and easy to make, allows alot of practice and infinite design possibilities and they sure seem to sell fast. I had planned on making a few just to have for display but they sold as well!

Thanks for the well wishes on my back, I might have done a bit much yesterday. Restless and painful night, had to have one of my kids help me get dressed this morning if that helps understand where i'm at:(

I have seen some designs with very pointed designs and finials (I reckon thats what they are called) Now i'm not a big wine drinker but I would think they would be awkward or painful to insert?

My finishes varied from a brush on Laquer to a full blown CA finish and from reading here both of those should be good choices. I have included a note with each stopper detailing how to care for the finish, much like my game calls. I figure if my finishes stand up to sub zero temps and ice and snow then they should do well in the type of enviroment that the stoppers will see:D