PDA

View Full Version : "Rising Fire"

Scott Hackler
11-28-2010, 10:58 PM
This was a new experience for me on several accounts. First, I had never really turned a burl before and second I had never dyed a turning. This burl was bought at the same time I bought all the African Blackwood, from Glimer Woods. Its great stuff and their burl caps are dry.

This is a Big Leaf Maple Burl cap, elevated by African Blackwood. The burl was dyed with a mixture of Scarlet RIT dye and Dna, sanded back, coated with boiled linseed oil and lacquered. The natural edge of the burl was treated with Jacobean stain. I am not 100% on the pedestal design and so it's not glued on yet!

My wife thinks the burl is so nice that she said, "Oh my, you need to order some more of that!" No finer words have ever been spoken! :)

The piece is 7 1/2" across and 9" tall. A little less than 1/8" thickness on the burl.

Comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/firebowl1x.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/firebowl2x.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/firebowl3x.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/firebowl4x.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Beautiful work Scott! If the piece is balanced with that size pedestal - I would leave it as is!

Beautiful color and I like how you highlighted the natural edge!

You sure been kicking out some high quality work lately! Something in the water?

David Reed
11-28-2010, 11:12 PM
I am a real sucker for BLM burl and love this piece - the overall form with the uniform curve really make it for me. I would have to agree with Steve re the dyed edge, although I think the base of the pedestal could be a bit larger to balance the piece. Lovely form, wood and finish.

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Steve beat me to it!

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Scott that is one beautiful piece. Really well done and I like the highlighted color you added. I would agree with Steve if it balances ok I would leave it alone.

David E Keller
11-28-2010, 11:23 PM
That's great! I like the simplicity of the pedestal... It lets the burl shine.

I'm not sold on the color, but that could just be the photos.

Your wife sounds like a real sweetheart... She's definitely a keeper. Now, if you could just have her visit with my wife...:D

Jim Burr
11-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Stop...don't move...glue it. Don't change a thing.:D:D

Doug W Swanson
11-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Pretty cool piece! You did a nice job with it....

gary Zimmel
11-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Beautiful piece Scott.

Chuck Jones
11-29-2010, 12:30 AM
I think it looks great like it is; wood, color, proportions and all. But I would be afraid it would blow over in a slight draft. Maybe stick it to the shelf with some carpet tape?:)

Ron Bontz
11-29-2010, 12:33 AM
I can only wish I had your talent. Just beautiful.:)

Harry Robinette
11-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Scott
I'll 2nd D.Reed ,but oh so beutiful keep holding the tools the same way.

Richard Madden
11-29-2010, 12:52 AM
Nice going Scott. Love the burl and color and edge treatment. Not crazy about the pedestal shape or the small base. A larger base would be better IMHO.

Mark Hubl
11-29-2010, 1:29 AM
Looks great. Love the burl. I think the pedestal works ok with the piece. You have really been turning out some nice pieces.

John Keeton
11-29-2010, 7:20 AM
Scott, some very nice work! BLM is one of my very favorite woods to turn!

While I think the pedestal works, it probably could be a little larger in the base. The cup on this one is fairly large.

The uniformity of the embellishments at the top/bottom, coupled with the thinnest area being in the middle, gives the sense of being a little "light" in the bottom of the pedestal. With a different design of the stem, the size of the base may work better. Depending on your tastes, you might consider using a piece of the burl for a little wider base.

However, as is everything in "art" - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and you have done a wonderful job on this piece. I really like the dyed BLM burl pieces.

Roger Chandler
11-29-2010, 9:29 AM
Scott,

This one is beautiful! I think a little larger base would help to balance it out a little...........seems top heavy to me with the smallish foot on the pedestal, but wow, what a piece of work.

I used scarlett rit dye on a goblet that I did, and got a much deeper color.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=150600

...I know you said you knocked it back......I am wondering if the pic shows up the true color. I like the simplicity of the finial, and the BLM burl is just stunning!

Nice form and you are certainly putting out some nice work!

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-29-2010, 9:43 AM
Scott,
You're on a roll. First the flowers now this sweet piece. Beautiful job. The lacquer made a great top coat.
faust

Rob Cunningham
11-29-2010, 1:08 PM
That's really beautiful Scott. Nice work on every part of it.

Scott Hackler
11-29-2010, 7:02 PM
Thanks for the comments and the critques. I appreciate them.

Like I said in the description, I am not 100% with the pedestal and the few un-favorable comments here and over on WoW just confirmed what I already knew.

I am ok with the basic design, as I wanted something unique and not just the sam ole same ole, but the base isnt wide enough. Mostly from the limitations of the African Blackwood blanks I bought. I have one small chunk of this burl left over and its getting turned and will end up as a new bottom on the pedestal.

I will post new pictures once I (and a possible helper elf) figure out the correct design and go through the process of dying and finishing it to match.

Thanks again everyone. Now where is that number to Glimer Woods? :)

Baxter Smith
11-29-2010, 7:09 PM
Beautiful burl/cup. I think your planned addition should be an improvement on an already very nice piece. I am looking forward to seeing it!

David DeCristoforo
11-29-2010, 7:11 PM
I would agree with your assessment that the base is too small. I started out making the base diameter "based" on the size of the blank I had to make the pedestal from. But I ran into two problems. For one thing, I was having a problem accepting the amount of waste involved in turning a thin pedestal from a 1 1/2" or 2" blank. And even then, more often than not, the piece ended up looking top heavy because the base would end up too small. Lately I have been using a separate piece for the base. I take a 1" or 3/4" thick piece that's about 2 1/5" square and punch a 3/8" hole through it. Then I turn a long 3/8" tenon on the end of the pedestal piece and join them together. Sometimes I use the same species but I also like to use the same wood I used for the body if I happen to have some "extra". This has allowed me to make slightly larger bases without having to waste most of a two or three inch square chunk of expensive wood. I really like what you did with the body of this piece and I would not hesitate to make another pedestal/base.

PS Just got back from NV. Lots of great stuff posted in the last week. Lots of catching up to do!

Scott Hackler
11-30-2010, 7:30 PM
OK folks, since I accidentally broke the receiving "cup" of the first pedestal while attempting an alteration... ooops. I started over completely and turned an all new pedestal with a matching BLM Burl foot. This is the end result of a little pow-wow with John Keaton and a new look at the "whole picture". I tried to marry the whole thing together instead of just elevating the burl bowl. The new pedestal is approximately 1" shorter, as well.

Tried a little different setting on the camera, per Ed's advise and I think it helped a bit.

Hope this better suits the form, as I am done with this one.

Comment away!

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/fireb2x.jpg

David DeCristoforo
11-30-2010, 7:34 PM
Nice. I would have gone a bit bigger yet on the base but this works so much better than the first one. I also like the bigger supporting "cup" at the top of the pedestal. Well worth the effort.

Mark Hubl
11-30-2010, 7:36 PM
I like this version better. The foot size is more pleasing to my eye and adds some balance. Sorry to hear that you had a mishap with it.

John Keeton
11-30-2010, 7:56 PM
Scott, that break was fortuitous!! This is a major improvement IMO! I think the balance is so much better, and I like the burl at the bottom to bring it all together. Excellent piece!

Baxter Smith
11-30-2010, 8:12 PM
Great improvement! It flows much better from top to bottom and the burl base helps balance the piece. Not that I could do this, but since you asked for comments:), I think the foot? of the burl cup detracts a little bit from the flow of the pedestal into the cup. It still IMO is looking a bit like its sitting on top. On the base, it doesn't quite flow smoothly into the onion(if thats what you call it there). If the base had been a tiny bit bigger as David said, you might have gotten that smooth line. I will shut up now. Its a great piece!

Roger Chandler
11-30-2010, 8:15 PM
Ya' done good Scott...........much better, really fine piece of work here!