PDA

View Full Version : First time finding decent tools in a while...

David Weaver
11-28-2010, 9:26 PM
For the first time in a while, I found some decent hand tools for less than nosebleed prices. In terms of finding more than one small item, this is the second time that's occurred for me, the first being at the same place.

Wasn't looking for tools, but headed home with the mrs., i convinced her to wait in the car for 10 minutes while I went through an antique shop between my house and my parents (which is a long hike).

I rifled through the stuff and got the following:
* A 1" wide PS&W socket framing chisel (something I wanted for hogging)
* Two socket chisels to turn into skews - a swan and a stanley 150, both in nice condition.
* a nice Plumb ball pein hammer about 24 ounces (very handy for planemaking)
* Two yankee 41y drills with about 16 bits between them (didn't have a need for them, but thought they were interesting, and were $4 each)
* a north brothers #30 screwdriver
* 2 genuine sharp gimlet brace bits
* a tiny screw adjustment divider, perfect for dovetail layout. Not sure of the brand, it just has a circle with an "S" in it

All for $50.

Goofy thing is the shop is right on US route 30, plenty of traffic, but there are always tons of tools there for very reasonable prices. Not necessarily all of everything such that you can have something in mind and go in and get it, but if you're just browsing, stuff you can use and no prices that will offend you on anything.

I'm not a push drill enthusiast, so I've never seen the types of bits that are in the yankee drill before. Only one of the bits is a twist drill, and the rest have two grooves running parallel to the edge. Easy to make the bits cut right where they're aimed, but the cut isn't so fast.

Also got a chance to go through the Supergrit store in gettysburg, which is an interesting place to see in person to say the least. Decent prices and plenty of selection, and only about 5 minutes from my parents' house.

It was a good tool weekend away from sifting for things on the internet.

Jim Koepke
11-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend.

I'm not a push drill enthusiast, so I've never seen the types of bits that are in the yankee drill before. Only one of the bits is a twist drill, and the rest have two grooves running parallel to the edge. Easy to make the bits cut right where they're aimed, but the cut isn't so fast.

The bits may be dull. They are made to cut in both directions in the Yankee drills. I used them a lot when I was a telephone installer about 40 years ago. They cut fast then. I think I have about three of those style drills in a drawer in my shop. I never use them. Maybe someday I will go on a tools for sale binge again.

Maybe when LN comes out with the #52 shoot board and plane. That looks like a fun tool to own.

jtk

David Weaver
11-28-2010, 10:34 PM
i misspoke, though I know you know what I meant with the bits. It should've been parallel to the length of the bits. I will sharpen one of them, guess I can't use the drill doctor since they're intended to cut both ways. I'll stone one.