PDA

View Full Version : Save money on a remote for your DC

Dennis Peacock
04-09-2003, 5:09 PM
Ok folks....I have done some researching and if you have a DC system for up to 2hp....you can get a remote xmiter and rcvr from Dimango for about $30. It is weather proof (the rcvr) and uses standard 110V power and has a range of 50 feet. It if RF so line of site is not required as Radio Frequency doesn't care about line-of-site for signal travel.

For those of you that need 220V remote...you can use this exact same wireless xmitter and rcvr and apply power to a 240V 30 Amp contactor to apply power to your 220V DC system. When I get mine setup, I will post the How-To and pics to show how I did mine.

Of course the usual disclaimers apply here. I ain't no engineer and if you do ANY of this....it is at your own risk.

Here is their web site that will take you to the remote and rcvr that I am talking about: http://www.dimango.com/1190.htm

Steve Clardy
04-09-2003, 7:38 PM
I have been considering a remote also, but have a slight problem that has stopped me. I run a 5hp rotary convertor that runs a 1 1/2 hp 3 phase collector motor, plus other equipment. Don't know how to get around that. Once in a great while I will fail to shut off the control box for the collector. When I turn on the rotary convertor, the collector will start up, but it kinda drags along till it goes. I have to start the convertor, then the collector. Steve

Dennis Peacock
04-09-2003, 7:45 PM
What you need is a 3 phase contactor with a 120V coil. There is a little bit more money for the contactor but the remote would still work.

Steve Clardy
04-09-2003, 8:15 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Peacock
What you need is a 3 phase contactor with a 120V coil. There is a little bit more money for the contactor but the remote would still work.

Running all time? As it is 1 phase 220

Dennis Peacock
04-09-2003, 10:17 PM
If your DC is 3 phase and your power supply is 1 phase, then you could simply enter the shop, power up the converter and use the remote to power on the DC when needed. You leave the shop, you turn off the converter and "lights out".

Bob Oswin
04-10-2003, 7:34 AM
Hi Dennis:
I have been watching your progress with your system for the past couple of weeks.
It's really a fine example of combining state of the art materials and physics.
I am interested in the remote you used and wonder if it comes with more than one frequency?

I have three switches I would like to control individually that fall within the 50 foot radius.

Regards
Bob

Steve Clardy
04-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Peacock
If your DC is 3 phase and your power supply is 1 phase, then you could simply enter the shop, power up the converter and use the remote to power on the DC when needed. You leave the shop, you turn off the converter and "lights out".

Ha. My wife says I never Leave the shop. So I guess I wouldn't have to Enter. lol.

Anyway, thanks for the tips Dennis. WIll keep this in mind for future things to do list. Maybe if I got real lazy I could remote the convertor also. Steve