PDA

View Full Version : Burl Gloat

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 7:36 PM
A friend I make game calls for was told to keep an eye out for burls or interesting wood for me. He called a bit ago and said he had something to drop off!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR3085/1107785084_Bfpxo-L.jpg

Jack Mincey
11-28-2010, 7:44 PM
Great looking burl you got there. Is it oak? should make some nice bowls as well as a bunch of call blanks.
Jack

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 7:45 PM
Jack, I think it is Maple. It was pretty dark and i was having trouble standing up so I did not inspect it closely, but Maple is my geuss from what I could feel of the bark

Pete Jordan
11-28-2010, 7:58 PM
Yowser!!!!

David E Keller
11-28-2010, 7:59 PM
Now, Ken, you shouldn't be lifting anything that heavy... Just send me the burl so you don't have to lay around and think about it while your back recovers.:D

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 8:01 PM
David, I had him unload it in the front yard so I could stare at it out the front window LOL! Now how hillbilly is that:D

David E Keller
11-28-2010, 8:06 PM
David, I had him unload it in the front yard so I could stare at it out the front window LOL! Now how hillbilly is that:D

I grew up in Arkansas, so unless it's sitting next to a car up on blocks, I don't think you qualify.

Randy Gazda
11-28-2010, 8:07 PM
Very nice friend. A burl like that could keep me up all night thinking about what all to make out it. LOL.

Can't wait to see some finished projects.:D

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 8:09 PM
I grew up in Arkansas, so unless it's sitting next to a car up on blocks, I don't think you qualify.

Youre talking redneck, and they are here in droves...im just hillbilly haha!

Roland Martin
11-28-2010, 8:14 PM
I see burl calls in your future!;) Great Burl and Greater Friend!

John Keeton
11-28-2010, 8:17 PM
That oughta make you want to get well in a hurry!!

Youre talking redneck, and they are here in droves...im just hillbilly haha!Ken, I am an example of what you get when a redneck marries a hillbilly!!!:eek::D

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 8:18 PM
That makes you a "Hilljack" John!:D

gary Zimmel
11-28-2010, 9:07 PM
Now that is one sweet chunk of burl....
Great gloat Ken!

John W Dixon
11-28-2010, 9:13 PM
Wow, that is one nice burl. Hope you get lots of great stuff from it.

John

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 9:16 PM
Thanks, I will be doing some reading on the best way to cut it up. Ofcourse if anyone has any tips or suggestions do tell!:D

Leo Van Der Loo
11-28-2010, 9:25 PM
A friend I make game calls for was told to keep an eye out for burls or interesting wood for me. He called a bit ago and said he had something to drop off!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Calls/CMR3085/1107785084_Bfpxo-L.jpg

That is surely Something alright :cool:

That looks like some solid burl Ken :), hope you keep that friend around, they are rare and hard to find :D

Baxter Smith
11-28-2010, 9:25 PM
Took one look at that picture and thought, "Man, he can't even stand up straight". I've heard from my wife more than a few times, "What are you walking around like that for?" As if she has to ask anymore.:)

When it snows, you'll just have to roll two more balls to put on top and your outside Christmas decorations will be set. If your back isn't better by spring you could just leave it, burls are pretty rot resistant and you could use it again next year.:D

charlie knighton
11-28-2010, 9:30 PM
ditto that Yowser!!!!

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 9:38 PM
Leo, thats another Cocobolo deer call in hand haha! This is the second burl he has brought to me, I treat him well! He asked if I could make him a bowl and a few things for the family in exchange and by all means he will be taken care of!

Baxter, from what I could see (and feel) it is solid. My buddy said there wasnt any rot in any of it so my fingers are crossed. Tomorrow when the kids get off school, I may have them fire up the Stihl and I will cut the ends clean and anchorseal it for good measure. I have no clue what the other pieces look like or may contain. They will make good turning wood nonetheless, im not real picky and enjoy what ever the tree offers me! And I reckon you have seen that "get me down" stance before haha:(

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow Ken that is a hunk of burl. That ought to make a basket full of calls.:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Congrats on that huge burl! Hope you are feeling well enough tomorrow to be able to use a chainsaw! Don't push it to hard or you may be walking around like that even longer!

brian watts
11-28-2010, 11:04 PM
you can allways send big block to me so you donot have to worry about it..lol

Mike Cruz
11-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Ken, you are one smart man. If you had had that a few weeks ago, you wouldn't have gotten rid of any of the OTHER wood! Great burl. Have fun with it.

Dale Bright
11-29-2010, 6:26 AM
Ken,

Since your back is out, if you need some help, moving, cutting and or sealing that wood, let me know. I am less than an hour from you and I could come up and give you a hand.

Dale

Ken Hill
11-29-2010, 6:31 AM
I appreciate the offer Dale! I wont be doing much to it, I have a strapping 17 year old son who will earn his keep this afternoon haha! And then my 12 year old son will get his "brush " on and seal it up LOL!

I think by the end of the week I should be able to get my hands on it and see what all i've got. I really need to find a good source of info on what I should look for when cutting it up. I've done searches here and on google but havent found anything I fully grasp..yet

Dan Hintz
11-29-2010, 6:43 AM
I will be doing some reading on the best way to cut it up. Ofcourse if anyone has any tips or suggestions do tell!:D
I say cut it straight down the middle, place half in your shop, half in mine. :p

Ken Hill
11-29-2010, 6:48 AM
Dan, i'm sure I will have enough to share some.

I found this right after I posted

http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/wood-figure/how-to-find-pearls-in-burls/?esrc=nwwood14

I think I will slab it thick for bowl blanks and see what I get.

Gene Hintze
11-29-2010, 9:31 AM
I am starting to finish some projects from the large maple burl find I had in September. There is some beautiful stuff in mine and I am sure there will be in yours as well. I will be posting some pics in a couple weeks. Congrats on the burl and have fun with it.

Mark Hubl
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Holy Burl Batman! Sweet, can't wait to see what is inside.