PDA

View Full Version : Mall Show

Larry Folk
11-28-2010, 2:50 PM
This upcoming weekend we have been invited to a craft show in a local regonal mall. We have been working on some of the LaserBuzz products to sell onsite and a flyer describing our product lines.
Has anyone done this before and do you have any insight on what we may expect?
We will have several things that are custom and will be taking orders.

Jim Beachler
11-28-2010, 4:19 PM
Larry, I haven't had good luck with mall shows for several years. It seems that most people are in there for what they need and then leave. they don't have time to look at the crafts nor were they even aware that there was a craft show there until they showed up.

Another thought that comes to mind is: If it is a good show that vendors want in, why are they still looking for more vendors??

Either way, it's the holiday season and you might make decent sales because of the timing of the year.

Darryl Jacobs
11-29-2010, 2:08 PM
I think it depends on the location and the mall. Out here in central BC, Salmon Arm is a retirement community and you get all kinds of interest and intros from the mall displays. In fact, usually no time to take a break. Most that figure out what you are up to, then have lots of questions and interest. I found the most interest came from an extremely detailed item in the forfront. Like your tower or doll house. Have something like that in the stage center so it is a focal point.

I would not expect to sell lots, but the key I have found is that you get lots of advertising. Have lots of cards and things to give out with your name and contacts on them. That is where the pay off came for me at a recent RC Mall display.

Darryl

Shawn Conklin
11-29-2010, 7:40 PM
Its not indoors but similar layout ... I had a huge success with brining my laser to the farmer/craft market two weeks ago and cutting people ornaments and small 3 inch name plates ... for free.

The laser in action is a magnet for people. I have already made up the material and time costs in new business. Plus it was actually fun. I only allowed one per person and only did vector lines for fonts and cuts. I used aromatic cedar meant for hanging in closets and left the pieces with the scorch marks uncleaned. People loved the look and smell.

Hard part is you need to have the filtration unit to do it and a spotter to keep an eye on people if your glued to a computer monitor. ... oh, and insurance :-) but thats covered in my existing business policy so it prob is for most other people.

Even if you can't bring the machine ... considering the season, you might do well to make up a hundred ornaments to hand out for free. Cedar would cost about $25 and it only took me 1.5 minutes tops to write a name and cut each one. So $25 and a few hours might be good time spent for promos.

Peter Meacham
11-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Larry

You have a nice selection of products and nicely displayed as well. Let us know how it went.

What is your source for the wood stock pls.

Pete

Larry Folk
11-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Peter,

The best place locally here in Columbus that I have found is a woodworking store called WoodWerks. A sheet of 5'x5' 1/8" baltic birch goes for $18.50 a sheet plus tax. This is very good quality with most sheets with no football patches. In Buzz's info he says it runs $9.00 a sheet but that may be dated pricing. The store also cuts the sheet down to 12"x24" pieces for no charge on their panel saw so my per square foot cost is $0.79 with no delivery charge since I pick it up.

AL Ursich
11-30-2010, 12:29 PM
It's not Laser Engraved but CNC.... The concept is the same... Have done 2 of 5 shows and have had good luck with the stocking stuffers....

I have been so busy with the CNC stuff I have not even had time to fire up the Laser... Soon....:eek:

AL

Tom Buzz Bernard
11-30-2010, 3:19 PM
Larry alternate source to check;
Current prices at Toledo plywood for a single sheet is $9.95, less for bigger quantities (quote given to one of our customers last week). ph 800-686-1684. I better put todays date becuase this may get dated 11/30/10

Good luck at the Show!!!

Mike Null
11-30-2010, 6:28 PM
Michael Kowalczyk supplies 3 mm Baltic birch cut to 12" x 24" as well. You can find him in the Friends of the Creek listing. His price is under a dollar per square foot as well.

Tom Buzz Bernard
12-01-2010, 4:00 PM
Michael Kowalczyk supplies 3 mm Baltic birch cut to 12" x 24" as well

Absolutely check with Michael if you want to buy pre-cut Blatic Birch. Michael provides a lot of LaserBuzz customers with wood and we have heard very positive comments about his products :)

I only mentioned Toledo Plywood because it was a location close to you for full sheets.

Terry Swift
12-02-2010, 1:06 PM
Yes, Michael does provide nice stock. Only kicker is shipping, if you're far away. UPS doesn't come cheap - even to me in only a zone or two away from Michael. But, his product is nice and convenient for those needing that kind of sizing and no way to cut down large sheets.

Rockler - mainly a wood working tool store (& on-line) does carry some 1/8" stock, but usually in longer / larger sheets. Our local place said they'd cut it for me - if I even needed a quick supply and couldn't wait for Michael and 3 day shipping. Just a back-up.

As for Craft Fairs - my advice and knowledge from doing 4 of them is to have something someone can walk away with at that time. While customizing is cool and some (few) will actually take you up on it - the overall thing is they want it and want it now. Having to think about personalizing and then waiting - most people just forget and never do anything about it. It's Christmas and they want an instant product. So, if you have a few of each ready to sell - I think you can do well. Catalogs and business cards can get you repeat business or in the door for Organizations and such too.

For the cedar - that's cool and you can make those in advance using common names as a base to make 10 of each or whatever. That way there is no transporting lasers, fume extractors, and looking over your shoulder. Some people here locally make picture frame inserts with names and then ones with their Name Bio. They make up a bunch of the common names for people to buy on the spot and for those names they don't have - take orders and ship out. Very lucrative it seems.

Good luck and let us know how it works out. I've got one a week from Saturday and hope to have enough product for people to walk out with in hand and cash in my pocket.

Michael Kowalczyk
12-02-2010, 1:41 PM
Hey Terry,
Many people in Texas get theirs the next day. Some on the East coast have received theirs in 3 days. But I have no control over that part of it.

Thanks Tom and Mike!!!! Always good to hear of positive feedback.

Have plenty in stock so PM me if you need some.

Thanks and ...

Larry Folk
12-05-2010, 9:29 PM
Mall show update:

The show was Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
The crowd was not what I expected or was led to believe but we did manage to make serveral sales.
The military tributes were a big hit and we sold serveral. Also sold some ornaments and other small items.
The biggest thing accomplished was getting our cards and flyers out for possible future business.

I made an enlarged Eiffell Tower, (about 48" tall) and that attracted a lot of attention.

Terry Swift
12-09-2010, 9:28 AM
Larry,

Do you have a design for the Eiffel Tower? Also, did you enlarge the 1D with Picture Frame Design - it looks much bigger than standard?

What sold the best, as I'm finalizing my stuff for my last Craft Fair this Saturday?