PDA

View Full Version : clam shell cabnet Ideas

Robert Culver
11-28-2010, 2:35 PM
Ok so I have wraped up all my got to have em done before christmas projects. Im staring to get a nice collection of hand toold now so I need to make a cabnet for them. Im looking form some plans and Ideas if you got a good one you like post a pic... I got some cherry and walnut but and thinking of doing it in oak or maple with just a few mixed contrasting woods to make it nice. The doors are my biggest consern How much gap sould I leave for A 1x4 door an inch or less I would think....maybe the 1x4 would even be to deep what are your thoughts?

Jim Koepke
11-28-2010, 3:44 PM
How much gap sould I leave for A 1x4 door an inch or less I would think....maybe the 1x4 would even be to deep what are your thoughts?

You may want to go deeper if you are going to hang tools on the inside of the door.

The inside of the door is a good place for often used tools like marking guages, knives and chisels.

If the door is big enough, it could also house a saw till.

jtk

Robert Culver
11-28-2010, 3:53 PM
I think I would like a saw till in the main cabnet and the doors would hold chisles and handled tools like screw drivers marking tools ect. then a few drarws in the main cabnet and a place for my hand planes....

Jim Koepke
11-28-2010, 8:27 PM
My thoughts lean toward light tools and no drawers on the doors.

Things on the door should be well mounted so they do not fall off if the door is bumped or blown closed hard by a breeze.

jtk

Shawn Stennett
11-28-2010, 9:05 PM
I am working on mine, it is further along than this but this is the best picture I have. I just did inset doors, I am going hang small things on them. I just put something inside to hold one of my saws.

Shawn Stennett
11-28-2010, 9:17 PM
Picture didnt attach.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1501539

Robert Culver
11-29-2010, 7:20 AM
wow that great looking nice work.

Shawn Stennett
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks Robert, I am trying to become more organized and look up shop storage all the time. There are some nice shop furniture out there, some may argue that there is no need to make stuff so nice for the shop but I will say this, when I look at my cabinet it makes me feel like making my next piece real nice. Your environment can greatly effect your mood and creativity.

Robert Culver
11-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I agree with you there 100%