PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF.

gary Zimmel
11-28-2010, 1:37 PM
Finally a little more shop time...
Maple HF 3"x3"

The blackwood collar/lid should of been a little thinner
and the base of my finial should of been wider.

Upside of this one is the hollowing is getting a lot better...
And I'm not putting extra holes in the sides.

Hope everyone had a little shop time this weekend!

Bill Bolen
11-28-2010, 1:41 PM
Pretty little piece Gary. And congrats on eliminating the extra hole. Hollowing looks to be coming along quite well...Bill..

Roger Chandler
11-28-2010, 2:22 PM
Nice Gary! Good form on the body, and your finial is unique and fits the piece, with proportional height.

Good job!

David Reed
11-28-2010, 2:48 PM
Very nice and congrats on eliminating the extra fenestrations. But funnels are always handy to have around.
I agree that the collar could be a little thinner but if the top of the form had a bit more curve and not quite as flat, perhaps they would flow together better.

Ken Hill
11-28-2010, 2:51 PM
I think it looks good as it is, my only caveat is the thickness of the finial.

Never would have guessed it was 3x3!

John Keeton
11-28-2010, 3:02 PM
Gary, you are coming right along!! I do agree on the lid being thinner, and on the next one, try a recess for the lid to sit in so you can continue the profile of the form more.

Really like the combination of woods here - very nice "petite" piece! The fact that it appears larger is a testament to the form being good.

Baxter Smith
11-28-2010, 3:07 PM
Like the combination of colors. A little refining here and there (as you pointed out) and it will be much improved. Being able to critique your own work when complete is a great asset. Just wish I was better at it before I get done and take it off the lathe.:)

Steve Schlumpf
11-28-2010, 5:35 PM
Gary - each one shows progress! You already identified a couple of areas to refine for you next one! Keep up the good work!

David E Keller
11-28-2010, 6:29 PM
I like it. I agree with your self-critique... The only other thing that I might alter would be to slim down the onion of the finial. It's a good looking form as is, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.

Bernie Weishapl
11-28-2010, 7:12 PM
Great looking piece Gary. You have already gotten some good advice. Like the form and the finial looks pretty good. Keep'em coming.

Cody Colston
11-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice HF, Gary. I don't know anything about art so I'll refrain from a critique. What I do know is that when the size of an object like your HF cannot be determined just by a picture, that usually means the proportions are very good. Well done.

John Keeton
11-29-2010, 7:57 AM
The only other thing that I might alter would be to slim down the onion of the finial.David, my inclination was the same, but I am coming to the realization that this perception is due, in part, to what we are used to seeing. But, largely, I think it involves the relationship of the onion to the other elements of the piece - particularly, the base of the finial.

For instance, when one views the miniature boxes done by C. Drozda, the larger onions are one of the more prominent features -

This piece would seem to break all of the rules - very tall finial, with a much larger bulb than what one normally sees - yet, it works. What is apparent, however, is that there is a continuous flow of the curvature line coming off the form, touching the base, the widest point of the finial, and flowing upward. In addition, the bulb is raised above the form by a very large cove base - creating an additional element of the piece that actually becomes the focal point. In this case, it is the finial that makes this piece. Perhaps that is why she calls them "Finial boxes!!":rolleyes:;)

IMO, these relationships are more important than the actual size of the onion. I am fairly new to this finial game, as well, and at times I feel constrained by what is expected. Breaking away from the norm can be exhilarating at times!!!:D:)

So, I think the more appropriate change Gary could make would be in the base and the presentation of the finial vs. the actual size of the bulb.

I know this has gotten pretty deep, but just keep your boots on when you read this stuff!;)

bob svoboda
11-29-2010, 9:04 AM
What??? There aren't supposed to be holes in the side? Who'd a thunk it? Very nice Gary!

Mark Hubl
11-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Nice HF. I like the simple contrasting colors.

Richard Madden
11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Nice work, Gary. Keep in mind what John K. said above, and don't let yourself feel constrained by what others expect.

Rob Cunningham
11-29-2010, 1:03 PM
Nice HF Gary. You've already critiqued it yourself, I have nothing to add.