PDA

View Full Version : tool etiquette

Bruce Haugen
11-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I have a Stanley 71 router plane that I picked up at a MWTCA meet a few years ago. It came in the box, albeit definitely not new - it was missing the 1/4" cutter and the box has a hole in it. That's not why I got it.

However, it is kinda in crispy condition, looks like it wasn't used much, and furthermore, it has the ugly blue handles.

The etiquette question: Is it permissible to replace those knobs with some nicer walnut, wenge or even cocobolo (which I have on hand), esp. if this item were to be offered for sale at some future date?

Not having sold many tools (I just seem to hang on to the ones I get) I don't know what's right or permissible.:)

Robert Culver
11-28-2010, 12:37 PM
personaly I dont see why not as long as your posting that the handles are not original. then also I would hold on to the originals and offer them as part of the sale.

Jim Koepke
11-28-2010, 12:54 PM
+1 on what Robert says.

I have sold a some tools and always mention if the handles have been replaced or repaired.

One time selling a plane, the original tote and knob were very beat up, but the buyer still wanted them. I forgot to include them in the original shipping box and ended up sending them in a second box at my own cost.

As for other things on an old tool, if you know it is not original, it is better to mention it than to have to deal with it after the sale.

jtk

Bill Houghton
11-28-2010, 2:17 PM
The late Stanleys are rarely collectibles. If you sell it down the line, the new owner is likely to be grateful that you replaced the handles, especially if yours are more comfortable or attractive.

Bruce Haugen
11-28-2010, 2:36 PM
As Bill says:
especially if yours are more comfortable or attractive

Even a tree branch would be better than that ugly blue.:D

I'll make the new ones out of something nice.

Thanks, guys.

Tony Zaffuto
11-28-2010, 5:59 PM
You own the tool don't you? Do as you please then! You can always save the stock handles for the purist who insists on originality.

This past summer, at a nearby flea market (Hazen, PA), I bought a NOS 71 & 271 for a total of $30 or $35.00. Granted, these were UK made, but brand new, and having never touched wood. They might be worth more than that, but I wouldn't hesitate to paint them fluorescent hot pink, should I desire to, cause they're mine!

Make the new handles and save the stock.

Johnny Kleso
11-28-2010, 6:53 PM
NO You Are Not Allowed to change handles!

Why would you want to increase the value with some beautiful custom handles :)

PS: Stanley did sell extra cutter a few years back for $5.00 each
I bought a new set but not sure if they still have them..

Try Calling them they are not listed on the website :(
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes-routerplanes.html

Stanley Plane Parts
call Lori at Stanley. She can tell you of subsitute parts available which may not be listed on that website. Her number is 800-262-2161 ex 55839

Bruce Haugen
11-28-2010, 7:24 PM
It never occurred to me to get new cutters from Stanley. I keep forgetting about them.

I didn't mean to mislead anyone - I picked up the spear point and 1/4" cutters at an MWTCA meet last winter, along with a couple other things I didn't really need :D

There are some values at the meets I've attended - but most of the sellers really know the current market prices of their tools. However, it's hard to beat an MWTCA meet for sheer variety and for things you don't normally get to see and fondle, as well as an entire room full of people who share your passion for tools.

Now, I'm going a little astray here, but I've also run into WW celebrities like Mike Siemsen, Dean Jansa, Randy Roeder (owner of the Millers Falls site) Wayne Anderson, Clarence Blanchard and Martin Donnelly.

john brenton
11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
I would definitely NOT let anyone know the handles weren't original. I would list the item as NEW and RARE, and if anyone complained after receiving the item I would answer their emails in broken English.

I have a Stanley 71 router plane that I picked up at a MWTCA meet a few years ago. It came in the box, albeit definitely not new - it was missing the 1/4" cutter and the box has a hole in it. That's not why I got it.

However, it is kinda in crispy condition, looks like it wasn't used much, and furthermore, it has the ugly blue handles.

The etiquette question: Is it permissible to replace those knobs with some nicer walnut, wenge or even cocobolo (which I have on hand), esp. if this item were to be offered for sale at some future date?

Not having sold many tools (I just seem to hang on to the ones I get) I don't know what's right or permissible.:)

Rob Young
11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
It never occurred to me to get new cutters from Stanley. I keep forgetting about them.

I didn't mean to mislead anyone - I picked up the spear point and 1/4" cutters at an MWTCA meet last winter, along with a couple other things I didn't really need :D

There are some values at the meets I've attended - but most of the sellers really know the current market prices of their tools. However, it's hard to beat an MWTCA meet for sheer variety and for things you don't normally get to see and fondle, as well as an entire room full of people who share your passion for tools.

Now, I'm going a little astray here, but I've also run into WW celebrities like Mike Siemsen, Dean Jansa, Randy Roeder (owner of the Millers Falls site) Wayne Anderson, Clarence Blanchard and Martin Donnelly.

1) Make new handles but if you really think you might sell it later, save the old ones and stuff them in the box. Late model or not, some people just like original parts.

2) The Lee Valley cutters work with the Stanley 71 and 71-1/2 but you need to flip the adjusting nut over because the shafts are longer on the LV cutters. Also, nice to have the removable point, makes sharpening pretty easy if you ever ding the cutter.

3) http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes-routerplanes.html and http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/roplcu.html However I believe that cutter is for the 271 and not the 71.

george wilson
11-29-2010, 10:39 AM
You might ask yourself if the product has the integrity to become rare and valuable. Blue plastic probably doesn't. Though,it's impossible to say,really,because there is plenty of JUNK out there,like old plastic Mr. Peanut items,that some collectors go for(who collects Mr. Peanut?? Some do.)

I'd just do as said,and put the silly things in the box and get on with making some decent handles.