PDA

View Full Version : optimistic cherry grading

Robert Reece
11-28-2010, 11:09 AM
First time working with cherry. I picked through a lot of the pile and didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling about the stock. Bought enough to do the project, but now I'm thinking the material I have just isn't going to cut it (see attached).

Do you find that you have to pick through a lot of cherry to get something without defects (knots, checks, sapwood, etc)?

I have asked the supplier what he thinks about the quality, but wouldn't expect to hear anything until tomorrow.

Mike Hollingsworth
11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
If it's all solid, I'd love to have some of that stuff in 5/4.

Roger Jensen
11-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm just finishing my kitchen cabinets in cherry and I would never choose it again, even though I love cherry. The only reason I had enough was that I went with cherry-ply panels in the drawers and doors. I don't know how long it would have taken to find enough to make solid cherry raised panels.

I live in the SF Bay area and have a few lumber yards to choose from, and it still took many, many trips to find enough wood. I can only assume the professional cabinet makers get first crack at the good stuff and hobbiests like me get what's left over.

Roger

Craig D Peltier
11-28-2010, 11:45 AM
That cherry in pic isnt what i would expect either. Its usually the sap that most dont like, but those boards have some deep colored blotches that isnt normal in what Cherry I have seen. Although I have seen it like yours. Maybe it was grown closer to a swamp.

Mark Bolton
11-28-2010, 12:15 PM
First time working with cherry. I picked through a lot of the pile and didn't get the warm fuzzy feeling about the stock. Bought enough to do the project, but now I'm thinking the material I have just isn't going to cut it (see attached).

Do you find that you have to pick through a lot of cherry to get something without defects (knots, checks, sapwood, etc)?

I have asked the supplier what he thinks about the quality, but wouldn't expect to hear anything until tomorrow.

That looks like a pretty low grade of cherry. Perhaps small and a lot of limbs. Most of the cherry we get is nearly clear and even in color. There is nothing wrong with those boards unless you are looking for clear. Dont know what you paid for that material or what it was sold to you as.

You mention you picked through, what was the rest of the pack like?

Mark

Myk Rian
11-28-2010, 12:17 PM
It looks like it has spalting.
It took a pile for me to make my tool chest.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=154158&d=1277385626

Tony Joyce
11-28-2010, 12:45 PM

It depends on what you're looking for. The boards you show have mineral or pitchy streaks, which is desirable to some people. It appears to have no knots. Sap is not considered to be a defect in cherry, if you don't want any specify that upfront.

Did you pick these out in person?
What grade is it? Grades are guide lines and somewhat subjective.
Did you ask what quality was for this grade? If unfamiliar with grades.

Don't rely entirely on grades to get what you want. If you specify what you want most dealers will try to provide you what you need within the limits of what they have. If you don't know exactly what you're expecting or looking for most dealers will be glad to do some hand holding and educate and/or guide you. Explain what you're trying to achieve. They want your ongoing business, so most are eager to satisfy. Ask questions! It's the only way you'll get what you want. And lastly if not satisfied with the response you get try another dealer.

Just my thoughts, based on "my experiences"!

J.R. Rutter
11-28-2010, 3:04 PM
What grade was this cherry supposed to be? Those boards look like what we would reject from #1C that is running about $2.30 to $2.70 right now. The FAS that I buy is miles better for 50% more money. Even though NHLA guidelines don't consider sap to be a defect, most suppliers will have their cherry sorted for face/back heartwood percentage. Most common is 90/70, though we sometimes get 100/90 depending on specific project and availability.

I buy through the same wholesalers that supply the local hardwood lumber dealers. Most of them will help hand unload if you have a place where a 40' trailer can park. When I had a garage shop, they would meet me at the bottom of my drive and I would transfer to my vehicle to get it to my house.

Robert Reece
11-28-2010, 6:27 PM
I would like to clarify that I am not attempting to lay fault here on anybody, I just wanted to know how you usually deal with cherry.

I bought this cherry as "4/4 Select". This supplier also stocks 4/4 Select 10" and wider, as well as #1 common cherry in 4/4. I am wondering if this board should have been in the #1C and I wasn't sharp enough to cull it myself. Mistakes happen, I understand.

I looked through the other stock I have and while it is not clear, it's definitely better in terms of the dark streaks and spots. BTW, some of those spots on the board are holes big enough to get a good sized flat blade screwdriver in.

One of the boards I bought was 100% heartwood on one face, but the sides and back are easily under 50%. I bought it because I happened to know I only needed one good face for that part. But like I said, I sorted a good bit of the pile and these types of boards were typical.

As another note, the 10" and wider stuff was pretty nice looking, but at $7/bd ft, I didn't need to spend extra since I didn't need 10" stuff. In hindsight, it might be cheaper to go that route.

Jeff Duncan
11-29-2010, 4:07 PM
Cherry can be hit-or-miss depending on your local suppliers. The stock pictured would not be acceptable to me as 'select', and I would move on to the next supplier, though I have several good ones to choose from. You may want to check out some other suppliers in your area.
FWIW the last batch of cherry I bought was last month, several pieces of FAS 8/4 roughly 13" - 14" wide cost me $5.47 bd ft. and it was very clear and just plain beautiful stock.
good luck,
JeffD

Jim Summers
11-29-2010, 4:47 PM
I would like to clarify that I am not attempting to lay fault here on anybody, I just wanted to know how you usually deal with cherry.

I bought this cherry as "4/4 Select". This supplier also stocks 4/4 Select 10" and wider, as well as #1 common cherry in 4/4. I am wondering if this board should have been in the #1C and I wasn't sharp enough to cull it myself. Mistakes happen, I understand.

I looked through the other stock I have and while it is not clear, it's definitely better in terms of the dark streaks and spots. BTW, some of those spots on the board are holes big enough to get a good sized flat blade screwdriver in.

One of the boards I bought was 100% heartwood on one face, but the sides and back are easily under 50%. I bought it because I happened to know I only needed one good face for that part. But like I said, I sorted a good bit of the pile and these types of boards were typical.

As another note, the 10" and wider stuff was pretty nice looking, but at $7/bd ft, I didn't need to spend extra since I didn't need 10" stuff. In hindsight, it might be cheaper to go that route.

That looks closer to what my supplier calls "Rustic Cherry". I would think select would be clearer.

Chip Lindley
11-29-2010, 7:12 PM
I'm not up on my grading rules, but I know what I will spend money for and what I will not. That is not Select & Better in my book. Ask that dealer to show you the "good stuff", OR, if all of his Select cherry looks that way, find another supplier.

Jay Allen
11-29-2010, 7:40 PM
I would say that those pieces have too many pitch pockets to be considered select.