PDA

View Full Version : porter cable quick jig

frank shic
11-28-2010, 11:05 AM
anyone seen one of these yet? looks like porter cable is following the kreg route to pocket hole joinery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1MtHiJkRBc

Bill Huber
11-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't have one but I saw it at the show a few weeks ago and it really worked nice.

I don't do a lot of pocket holes but if I was I would have one, it a little over $200 if I remember but it sure works nice. It is just made a lot heavier then some of the others I have seen.

Andy Sowers
11-28-2010, 9:45 PM
Funny... I saw one today at a Woodcraft in Greensboro NC. I didn't even know about it until today. Looks pretty cool... but at $230 I think I'll continue to use my little Kreg. I think if one used pocket holes a lot, this guy might deserve a closer look! It seemed to be well built/well engineered.

--Andy

frank shic
11-29-2010, 12:35 AM
the big advantage is not having to change the setup for the different thicknesses but i usually use 3/4" for most parts and the only time i use thinner stock is for raised panels (5/8") which are just glued together or drawer parts (1/2") which i hand dovetail. i think they should go back to building the smaller pocket cutter units that you can only find on ebay. i love routed pocket holes so much better...

Doug Carpenter
11-29-2010, 7:17 AM
I don't feel like I spend that much time changing the parts on my Kreg. But maybe I just haven't done any projects that require alot of changing.

One thing is for sure that is a sweet tool and I love pocket holes. Seems like before they were around I was always searching for a way to do something weilrd and a pocket hole seems to be a good solution most of the time.