PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a new handplane please!!

Aled Dafis
12-31-2004, 4:11 AM
I intend to buy a new handplane, but unfortunately my budget will only stretch to one decent handplane.

I intend to use the plane for a number of tasks from converting sawn boards to smothing finished work. At the moment i'm considering either a Veritas #6, a Clifton #5 1/2 or a lie Nielsen #5 1/2 if i can keep he reciept away from the wife.

I currently use an old Stanley #4 1/2 but find it a bit small even for smoothing work.

Can anyone give me any advice, as I don't really want to buy one and find out it's no good.

Thanks
Aled

Herb Blair
12-31-2004, 6:38 AM
You can't go wrong with any of the one's listed. I'm surprized that you find the 4 1/2 too small for smothing. I use a #4 all the time and find it does a good job. It's not a jointer ( I have a Stanley #7 and a Jet 6" Jointer for that). I have both LN and Vertias Planes. Both are excellent.

John Dingman
12-31-2004, 7:49 AM
If I could only buy ONE :eek: plane, it would be the LV LA Jack plane. The amount of tasks that you can acheive with this plane is incredible. Additionally, when you get the high angle blade, it will handle most figured woods as well. Also, the long leading edge makes it a decent jointer. I am a very happy camper with mine. I know it wasn't on your list, but I thought you might want to consider it.

Happy Hunting,
John

Richard Gillespie
12-31-2004, 7:55 AM
I couldn't agree with John more but I would like to add to the list that with the low angle blade the LV LA Jack has enough mass to do a great job on end grain with a shooting board.

Tyler Howell
12-31-2004, 9:16 AM
I third John.

With the L & HA blades, I use all the other users mostly to compare results. LV LA Jack is one fine ride. As the name says it is the "Jack of All Planes"

Mark Singer
12-31-2004, 10:55 AM
I would tend to agree. Although I have the LV LA Jack a short time it seems very versital ...with that said I do use my Clifton #4 and often it is the best to get the job done. I often grab the ECE 711 reform smoother...it is really hard to beat and less $$ than the other two. Since you are looking at larger planes I would suggest the LV LA Jack all things considered

Roy Wall
01-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Hey guys,

I have the LN # 62 LA Jack plane and love it!!! Is this virtually the same plane as the Lee Valley???

Mark Singer
01-01-2005, 1:46 PM
Sort of.....
Hey guys,

I have the LN # 62 LA Jack plane and love it!!! Is this virtually the same plane as the Lee Valley???

Dan Moening
01-02-2005, 3:49 PM
Welcome aboard!

Certainly glad to have another member!

And one that posts in the handtool forum first! :D

While I don't yet own one, I'd certainly follow the others recommendations about the LV LA Jack. I've drooled on that page in my catalog so much that LV had to send me a new catalog to use.

As an aside...if you find a replacement for your 4 1/2 and are looking for a good home...;) ;)

Zahid Naqvi
01-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Have ever considered buying 3 or 4 used Stanley's and rehabbing them, they will probably cost you the same but you get 3 or 4 specialized planes as opposed to one, with which you try to do everything. There are many individuals who tune/rehab and sell old hand planes for a very reasonable price. I bought a Sargent #7 from "rarebear" for $70, it was ready to use out of the box.