PDA

View Full Version : leather handle care

Paul Saffold
11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I got an Estwing leather handled hatchet. The leather disk had been varnished. It was flaking badly so I wire brushed the finish off while I was doing the steel. The leather is quite dry but the disk are still tight and are all there. They are held on with a steel plate that is riveted.

What should I put on the leather to protect it from drying and to give it a little bit of a finished look? Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

David Weaver
11-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't know how their leather is tanned, you could always write estwing an email and find out what to use.

A commercial leather conditioner would probably work, but I'm sure they're way overpriced for what they are.

We always used neatsfoot oil or saddle soap on dry leather when I was a kid. I understand that neatsfoot oil can make leather brittle in the long term, but we didn't have an issue with it.

Andrew Gibson
11-28-2010, 12:09 PM
My Grandpa always told me they used saddle soap on the mule harnesses when he was a kid. After plowing or whatever they would bring the harnesses into the tack room and rub them down with saddle soap.
Their 2 best mules ware Beck and Blue. This was back in the 30's/early 40's

As far a your hatchet goes I'm not sure what I would use. my first thought would be you want something to soak in, but then I would be afraid it would be to wet.

Jim Koepke
11-28-2010, 1:03 PM
I have used a leather treatment that I got from a sporting goods store many years ago when I bought my son a baseball mitt.

Another source may be a large shoe store. I know one time when I bought a pair of Red Wing shoes many years ago, they came with a free oiling when ever needed. Red Wing also sells the same leather conditioner for those who want to do it themselves or on their non Red Wing shoes.

jtk

Roger Bell
11-29-2010, 12:56 AM
I found an old estwing that needs the same treatment in my gear locker at work. Peeling varnish looks awful and, as I recall, from the last time using it, it wasn't easy on my hand either.

I think I will start with a couple of sessions of saddle soap, rubbing it in liberally and well, letting it sit for a day or two and doing it again. If that doesn't work, I will use some neatsfoot oil. But I will use that sparingly. If anything, neatsfoot oil will make the leather too soft....so put some on your hands and rub in lightly and let sit awhile.

After that, I will add some leather conditioner with wax, such as this:

http://www.obenaufs.com/?gclid=CNzMxMSqxaUCFQQCbAodVRZXXg

I use Obenaufs LP on my field boots. I've tried everything else....this is the best stuff.

Paul Saffold
11-29-2010, 6:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I try the saddle soap then neatsfoot oil. I had forgotten about neatsfoot oil. Dad used to use it on boots.
I don't expect to be using the hatchet unless for riving off oak for pegs, but want it to look better than it does.
Paul

george wilson
11-29-2010, 10:27 AM
My old journeyman,Jon,is quite the hunter. He swears by BEAR GREASE. He says it never gets rancid,and absolutely water proofs his hunting boots. In WV,maybe you know someone who has some bear grease. Otherwise,the saddle soap or neatsfoot oil will be fine.

How many neats' feet does it take to make a pint of neats foot oil?

Actually,neats is an old English word for cattle. Another bit of history trivia for you folks out there in woodworking land.

Johnny Kleso
11-29-2010, 3:21 PM
Neatsfoot oil or Armor All are both great on Leather

PS:
For Deer hunting never put anything on your boots other than deer piss or skunk stink
When I did hunt I used Pac Boots with rubber bottoms as it dosen't track much scent in your trail..

Oiling your boots for Bird Hunting has no effect IMHO..