PDA

View Full Version : Ball or radius turning fixture

Steve Stube
12-31-2004, 3:35 AM
Hello, Is anyone using a ball turning fixture in their wood lathe? I recall seeing one once but don't recall where or who made or sold it. I'm just getting started at wood turning after a very long break from doing anything more complicated than making an occasional handle for a hand crank tool handle. I want to turn some balls of about 2.5" OD for a project. If you can steer me toward a fixture you have experience with so much the better if you have a photo of it to show. I am thinking of making one if I can't find one. Perhaps some have already made their own ball turning fixture - I would appreciate hearing and seeing what you have put together for this purpose. Thanks, Steve

Steve Inniss
12-31-2004, 7:40 AM
Steve,
I found the link below(supplied courtesy of other SMC members) helpful, hopefully you will too. Yet another addictive pursuit on the lathe.-Steve
http://www.geocities.com/erynthegrey/rob/woodensphere/

Steve Inniss
12-31-2004, 7:41 AM
Steve,
I found the link below(supplied courtesy of other SMC members) helpful, hopefully you will too. Yet another addictive pursuit on the lathe.-Steve
http://www.geocities.com/erynthegrey/rob/woodensphere/

Steve Stube
01-01-2005, 4:06 PM
Thanks Steve but it is the actual ball turning tool or accessory that I'm after. If I had to do this project as outlined in the link - well, I just wouldn't start it.I know they were available commercially, hard to believe no feedback on it.

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 4:18 PM
You can make what you need to turn spheres quite easily...it's just a compression chuck on both the spindle and the tailstock's revolving center. You basically turn two "cups" that support the workpiece once you do the basic rounding between centers, loosening it frequently to rotate the piece for fine tuning as you go. There was an article in the AAW magazine not long ago on this very subject.

Steve Stube
01-01-2005, 6:31 PM
Thanks Jim, The balls I want to make will be hollow (constant wall thickness throughout) the cupped hands method isn't going to allow me to do this.

Jim Becker
01-01-2005, 7:44 PM
Perhaps a vacuum chuck will help you out...allows you to hold the objects "one sided". I'd be interested in learning how you intend to do the hollow structures...two piece or via an entry hole?

Steve Stube
01-01-2005, 8:59 PM
I will be doing them as two piece. Hole entry technology is available with the kind of precision required (spray surface coatings on the inside of blow molded containers at fixed distance) but it's not in my budget.

Harry Pye
01-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Steve,

I have a very vague recollection of some one using a sharpened piece of metal pipe as a turning tool. I don't recall if it was sharpened on the inside or outside. But in your case you would use pipe with a diameter equal to the final size of the ball. I believe this tool was just forced into the wood somewhat like the scrapers that are designed to make coves or beads. Probably require some experimentation on your part. If you try this, please let us know how it works out.

Harry