PDA

View Full Version : CNC or Tablesaw

Stuart A Reid
11-27-2010, 11:38 PM
After a multi-year hiatious in woodworking due to lack of a suitable shop, I finally have some space to work.

As I organize the space - building storage and installing a dust collector, I'm reminded that my old table saw is a horrible machine...really bad fence and a blade that wanders from 90 degrees.

I want to build a CNC router and explore how it can be used in building furniture - but...I've been trying to decide whether I purchase a new TS first...then the router. Or do I go for the router first?

With a CNC router, is the table saw still the center of the shop? Or with a CNC router, does the focus change? For those that have had a CNC router for a while, what are the other tools that get heavy use?

I've been looking at the SawStop PCS - but do I stick with a really bad table saw and invest in CNC first?

james mcgrew
11-27-2010, 11:46 PM
i will not post a pic of my slit in two thumb!! i just love my cnc

Brandon MacDougall
11-27-2010, 11:49 PM
I guess it up to what your building. I would go with the tablesaw, planer, bandsaw 6x48 sander, CNC.. this way you can make some nice stock to fit in your CNC.. :)

Brandon

Stuart A Reid
11-27-2010, 11:53 PM
i will not post a pic of my slit in two thumb!! i just love my cnc

I'll admit a fondness for my digits...hence the interest in the stopsaw. Do you find that your CNC means you don't need your TS? Or you just use it less?

Mick A Martin
11-27-2010, 11:57 PM
I use both the CNC and my table saw, a table saw is cheaper so I would get that first or use what you have, maybe make a new fence it's your call. Having a CNC router will take you to the next level in your woodworking, I really like my machines for 3D work, cutting dadoes, making cabinets etc etc.

Mick

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-28-2010, 2:18 AM
Table saw by all means. If you are going to do woodworking you need a table saw.

james mcgrew
11-28-2010, 5:07 AM
we are a large custom shop, 6 stations and 7 table saws from scmi slider, left tilt unisaws in the middle and 10" portables for installation. after cutting my thumb twice in one year

i just love my cnc

Guy Mathews
11-28-2010, 7:00 AM
After a multi-year hiatious in woodworking due to lack of a suitable shop, I finally have some space to work.

As I organize the space - building storage and installing a dust collector, I'm reminded that my old table saw is a horrible machine...really bad fence and a blade that wanders from 90 degrees.

I want to build a CNC router and explore how it can be used in building furniture - but...I've been trying to decide whether I purchase a new TS first...then the router. Or do I go for the router first?

With a CNC router, is the table saw still the center of the shop? Or with a CNC router, does the focus change? For those that have had a CNC router for a while, what are the other tools that get heavy use?

I've been looking at the SawStop PCS - but do I stick with a really bad table saw and invest in CNC first?

There is no substitute for a good tablesaw. Get the Sawstop first, build your business, then the CNC.

There are wants and needs. You need a tablesaw, you want a CNC. It is faster to cut a rectangle or a square on a good table saw then it is a CNC. If you are going to be building furniture, I recommend a good band saw as well. I built many pieces of furniture for the company I worked for using CNC, however, the hub of the shop was and still is tablesaws, bandsaws, and good finishers.

Also when you say furniture, do you mean tables, chairs and sofas, or do you mean case work?

Yes we had a Sawstop as well, and thankfully, it has never had to do what it was intended to do.

If you do not need to make money, then get yourself a CNC by either buying or building.

Guy

Gerry Grzadzinski
11-28-2010, 8:12 AM
As guy mentioned, there are plenty of operations that a table saw is just better at, or that you can't do on a CNC.

Get the table saw.

Keith Outten
11-28-2010, 9:34 AM
Once again I find myself on the opposite end of the discussion. It is a very rare occasion when I use my table saw, I use my CNC machines regularly.

The reason is based on the type of work that I do which dictates the best machine for the job. Based on my experience you can't answer the question of which machine to purchase first until you have decided on the type of work you intend to pursue. It would be difficult to make signs with a table saw but it is easy to make a variety of signs with a CNC machine. The reverse could easily be true depending on the type of work you do.

I will admit that the average woodworking shop has to have a table saw and it is generally the center of everyday operations.....average being the operative word :)

Over the last 35 years I can honestly say that every sanding machine I own has been in constant use, this hasn't changed since I purchased my first CNC Router and it has been true no matter what type of projects I have designed and fabricated. My band saw is now the saw that I use most often, that is unlikely to ever change. I have learned based on several band saw upgrades that the better the quality of the band saw I own the more it is used.

Chuck Gallup
11-28-2010, 9:39 AM
If you do not need to make money, then get yourself a CNC by either buying or building.

Guy

I'm off to the looney bin.

Best quote of the year.

james mcgrew
11-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Once again I find myself on the opposite end of the discussion. It is a very rare occasion when I use my table saw, I use my CNC machines regularly.

The reason is based on the type of work that I do which dictates the best machine for the job. Based on my experience you can't answer the question of which machine to purchase first until you have decided on the type of work you intend to pursue. It would be difficult to make signs with a table saw but it is easy to make a variety of signs with a CNC machine. The reverse could easily be true depending on the type of work you do.

I will admit that the average woodworking shop has to have a table saw and it is generally the center of everyday operations.....average being the operative word :)

Over the last 35 years I can honestly say that every sanding machine I own has been in constant use, this hasn't changed since I purchased my first CNC Router and it has been true no matter what type of projects I have designed and fabricated. My band saw is now the saw that I use most often, that is unlikely to ever change. I have learned based on several band saw upgrades that the better the quality of the band saw I own the more it is used.

i am with kieth, i would rather have a cnc and a portable table saw than a great table saw and no cnc

Stuart A Reid
11-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Keith -

It was a similar comment that you made in a Sawstop debate that got me onto this train of thought. Can a CNC largely replace a table saw?

A few extra details that factor into my planning...

1. This is strickly a hobby. I have no intention of making money through woodworking.
2. Speed of work is somewhat important - I have two small kids and a busy job so hobby time is limited.
3. I'm keen to build tables, dressers, chairs, etc. And very curious how to use a CNC to assist. I'm a nut for precision - so CNC is appealing.
4. My shop is very small. I have to be very careful about my equipment purchases so that I still have room to work.

I'm curious how your bandsaw / CNC incorporate into your workflow?

Stuart

Matt Clara
11-28-2010, 12:25 PM
While a band saw can't do everything a table saw can, I'd take a band saw over a table saw any day. Particularly since any large MDF or particle board I need cut up I can get Lowes to do for free.

Steve knight
11-28-2010, 2:19 PM
I agree with most here. a tablesaw for furniture. yes you can do most things on a cnc but it can be slower and more of a hassle. Plus if you want precision your going to pay for it.
Plus it may be far slower too. it also takes up a lot more room.
but you can use it for a jointer/planer combo with not a lot of effort.
you can buy most of a shop for the cost of a entry level cnc that will do real work

Bob Savage
11-28-2010, 2:59 PM
I agree with most here. a tablesaw for furniture. yes you can do most things on a cnc but it can be slower and more of a hassle.

I'm coming on one year of entering "wood working" and CNC and have to agree with this. For the type of things I've been making a table saw while not used for every project (use a 10" sliding miter for much), there are simply some things I can't do without it unless I want to spend the setup and job time on the CNC. It's much quicker to slap a piece a wood on a table saw, etc.

Heck, I even ended up with a table router this year. It's just "better" and quicker for some things than using the CNC.

Steve knight
11-28-2010, 3:36 PM
the only thing my router tale gets used for now is roundovers. But most of my work is just cutting parts out for other people.
some things a cnc does so well it leaves you in amazement. I had to put a round hole in a round lid. so easy to do on the cnc a nightmare any other way.

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-28-2010, 5:01 PM
One of the reasons I got back into CNC was because I was building very exotic computer cases. It was a real pain getting accurate cutouts for drives and fans. Even some of the legs I used would take me days to fabricate using traditional woodworking tools.

On my last build I needed a wildly shaped sconce to hold a suspended top. I think I spend 6 hours on each of the 4 pieces. And even then they were not exactly what I wanted. With the CNC I spent 2 hours on the computer then 20 minutes cutting them out. I still had to do some manual work but the CNC gets me from idea to part much faster and it is repeatable. Which is a good thing cause I have had other requests for the same case.

Some thing that needs to be considered when choosing a CNC. And this goes for DIY or commercial. Size.

A CNC that will cut a full sheet of 4x8 plywood is massive. Much larger than 4x8. Generally they cant be put on rollers like most of the other woodworking tools. My next build will be a 48" x 48" router. I will end up being about 72" x 72". Since I don’t have the space for this I have to design it so it can replace my table saw out feed/assembly table.

Mike Heidrick
11-28-2010, 5:53 PM
I had a crazy shop before building my cnc. I am glad I did it this way as it is how I like to work and prepare stock I use on my cnc.

That being said I have seen a lot of CNC builders that have virtually no shop. Barely enough to build a cnc in some case. So it can work both ways.

I would not want to be without a main tablesaw or bandsaw. I also like a jointer planer as I buy my stock from a mill. Folks without woodworking tools (cordless or corded) I am betting are using other materials or buying lots of prepared stock. They are also buying material that fits their machine size. All of which is costing them or their customer more than it could and may be limiting their selection of materials.

I would never bet on my BORGs any prcision cuts or flat stock.

At a minimum here is what I would like to go with a CNC when buying wood from a mill: A contractors or job site TS or decent bandsaw - with a decent fence, a lunch box planer, a decent chop saw or good TS sled, a decent random orbit sander, and a small jointer (if you have a decent wood supplier that surfaces wood ok or a lager jointer or hand tools to flatten the face of your stock), and a router table for quick edge treatmet and to take care of tabs easily. Also a fair amount of clamps and a glue scraper.

It comes down to speed I guess as there are a ton of ways to work.

Keith Outten
11-28-2010, 9:59 PM
Keith -

It was a similar comment that you made in a Sawstop debate that got me onto this train of thought. Can a CNC largely replace a table saw?

A few extra details that factor into my planning...

1. This is strickly a hobby. I have no intention of making money through woodworking.
2. Speed of work is somewhat important - I have two small kids and a busy job so hobby time is limited.
3. I'm keen to build tables, dressers, chairs, etc. And very curious how to use a CNC to assist. I'm a nut for precision - so CNC is appealing.
4. My shop is very small. I have to be very careful about my equipment purchases so that I still have room to work.

I'm curious how your bandsaw / CNC incorporate into your workflow?

Stuart

Stuart,

All of the large furniture manufacturers operate CNC Routers and most cabinet shops. Because you have no interest in working professionally the decision to purchase a CNC Router is more difficult but it would have to be based on the level of woodworking you intend to produce. For instance, you can easily add custom 3D elements to your furniture with a CNC Router that you wouldn't be able to do on a table saw. You can use a large table CNC Router as a planer, my ShopBot will surface a 4 foot by 8 foot table after all the boards are glued together. Although it isn't as fast as using a normal planer I can also plane individual boards on my ShopBot and it can join boards as well, but not as fast as a conventional joiner. Of course speed is relevant to several things when you consider that while a CNC machine is working you can be doing other things and multiples are a mainstay of CNC work. If you are interested in custom inlays in your table tops or aprons you can't beat a CNC Router, its a snap. If you want to add a sub-surface 3D design in your table top once again the CNC Router is the hot ticket.....you can't do these with a table saw.

A CNC Router pretty much eliminates most of the shop templates you would normally see in most workshops. There isn't any need since the digital files you save on your computer are basically templates that can be sized up or down to fit a project. Steve mentioned that the time spent creating a drawing and then toolpaths for a project can be a consideration which is true, the flip side to this issue is that you don't need to spend time and money building templates. When I say templates I don't just mean hand routing templates, another simple job that CNC machines do well is drilling holes and machining large holes and they do it with great precision. I have a whole drawer full of hole saws that I don't use anymore, in fact I have stuff all over my shop that I don't use anymore that would probably add up to a pretty penny........possibly half the cost of a small CNC machine.

My band saw is a primary tool, it is used for so many tasks I couldn't possibly list them.....from cutting pen blanks to PVC pipe and more. There almost always seems to be something to be cut on every sign job that my band saw ends up being the tool of choice even if it is just prepping blanks for the CNC Router or resawing Corian to get thin material for badges. I should also mention that the first thing I did when I got my new band saw was to make a sliding table, many woodworkers don't think about using a slider on a band saw.

I work in a shop at Christopher Newport University every day making commercial signs. This is a list of the machines that I have to work with:

ShopBot 48" by 96" CNC Router
Delta Bench top drill press
A very old cheap Chinese 14" band saw with no fence.
portable air compressor
Ridged edge/spindle sander
home made router table made from Corian with a Dewalt 1.75 HP router and no fence.
one very old Black and Decker trim router
one battery drill
one random orbital sander
--That's It--

You would not believe how much sign work I can produce with this bare bones workshop. I am often asked to make oddball items like custom mouldings, ceiling access panels, exterior lighting covers, templates for our construction projects, etc.

I also have a laser engraver in my office but I don't consider it to be a shop tool.

Mick A Martin
11-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I agree with Guy, I think a good table saw is a must in your workshop, maybe a portable like Jim said. For my business which is mainly corian I use my CNC and a few hand held routers. If I am working on a woodwork project I use all my machines jointer, thickness planer and the table saw, because it is cheaper to buy rough limber and machine it to the required size. That side I come from a woodworking back ground and I am new to the CNC world.

Just buy all the tools you can you never have enough tools :D

Mick

Michael Kowalczyk
11-29-2010, 4:54 PM
I rarely use my SCMI slider TS for anything major other than cutting 3mm ply. Even cutting rectangles will be easier on a CNC if you have any edge treatments, drilling or other features. Once you have one you will find reasons to use it more. Every time you handle it means a possibility of it being damaged. The more you it, the CNC do, the more accurate your work will be and even more important is how much more safely your working conditions will be.
If you can fix your TS or have your sheets cut at the Big Box you will find the more you use it, the CNC, the more it can do. But the decision is up to you and how much space and power requirements. Remember you will need:
Enough electricity to power the CNC (spindle, table and controller)
Dust collector (sufficient CFM)
Vacuum pump (if needed)
Area for your material to load it

Don't forget software to design and machine your projects with. (Aspire v3 was released today)

Hope this helps and ...

Keith Outten
11-29-2010, 8:25 PM
Michael,

Thanks for the heads up on Aspire 3.

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-29-2010, 8:53 PM
I can see many of your view points for production work and even some types of woodworking. But I would never condider replacint the table saw with a cnc machine for fine woodworking ore even basic furniture making for that matter. Its just not practicle.

First off the OP has a space issue and unless he is going to purchase a very large CNC he is still going to need a table saw. There are also waste issues using a CNC to cutout all your square pieces from sheet stock.

As for getting the home centers to get you accurate cuts in sheet goods. Good luck with that.

Stuart A Reid
11-29-2010, 9:30 PM
Thanks for all the feedback...I'm thinking the way to go about this is to get/build the CNC router - then see if I can indeed live with my bad TS or purchase a new one. The one drawback is the delay in any projects while I acquire the CNC - then pull myself up the learning curve on it's use.

Good thing I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night...;)

Further thinking lead me to think that a good combination would be a panel saw (for rough cuts) and a CNC...

Which lead me to thinking about building a vertical CNC as I have more wall space then floor space.

Jim Underwood
11-29-2010, 11:27 PM
As Keith says, it depends on the level of production and the nature of the work you do...

If you're building a whole kitchen, I'll put my KOMO VR510 up against any table saw, slider or whole shop full of tools you've got and win the battle hands down. Used to take me 20 minutes to optimize, rip, and crosscut a sheet of plywood for case work. And then you still had to dado, rabbet, notch and linebore all the parts...

With the Komo all of that is done in about 5 minutes- not including design time... OF course that's a high production industrial machine with ATC and over 1000 inch per minute feed rate...

As for material waste, the bigger the job, the less waste there is. What waste is created, is way more than offset by the speed of the machine and reduced labor. In a production environment labor is ALWAYS more expensive than material...

However if you just want one rectangular part then I'd use a table saw every time.

Keith Outten
11-30-2010, 5:47 AM
I own a panel saw which is one more reason why I rarely ever use my table saw. If I didn't have a panel saw I could easily use a track saw to break down sheets or to make various straight cuts with reasonable accuracy and save money and space.

I'm not necessarily pushing CNC here but I do think that there are alternative ways to go about setting up a work shop that we haven't had in the past. CNC machines are worthy of consideration in any mix of machines these days because they have become more affordable than in the past. An amateur woodworker may very well enjoy the experience of owning a CNC Router which can make his/her hobby more interesting and add a lot of new options......even with a bench top CNC Router that takes up very little space. When I was an amateur woodworker what I enjoyed most of all about woodworking was spending time in my shop without production deadlines and schedules. It was about enjoying the journey without concern for the time the trip would take. Today my shop time is much different but I can still hold on to a piece of the past simply because my CNC machines are the most "Fun to Run" machines I have ever owned.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-30-2010, 12:59 PM
I can see many of your view points for production work and even some types of woodworking. But I would never condider replacint the table saw with a cnc machine for fine woodworking ore even basic furniture making for that matter. Its just not practicle.

First off the OP has a space issue and unless he is going to purchase a very large CNC he is still going to need a table saw. There are also waste issues using a CNC to cutout all your square pieces from sheet stock.

As for getting the home centers to get you accurate cuts in sheet goods. Good luck with that.

Michael I agree. No one should have a CNC except me. Everyone should sell their's for scrap metal and get a cheap table saw and use only hand tools to get quality results. Then all questions regarding woodworking should go to the neanderthal thread.

Just kidding:D.

I think that the OP should make a vertical panel saw and the largest CNC his space and wallet can handle.

getting material cut at home centers are less than perfect so always get them over sized.

Waste issues are different for everyone. Waste of material or waste of time. 6 of one, half a dozen of another. The glass is half full or half empty. It's all perspective from the individual's viewpoint. I personally hate to throw anything out. Most of our sheets look like toothpicks joined together when we are done cutting because I design it that way so we have minimal waste. But if a project doesn't work out that way I still make the largest rectangle I can and save them for other smaller projects.

I think Stuart is close to making his decision and staying at the Holiday Inn Express sure helps when your in a crunch to make a decision.;)

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-30-2010, 3:14 PM
If you ask the same question "Table Saw or CNC" on the woodworking forums you will get drastily different answers.

As far as the CNC goes. I have to agree I think it is the machine I have the most fun with in my shop. The problem is I cought the CNC bug. I cant stop tinkering and building new machines. I have enough electrics to have two mahines up and running so I can leap frog with new builds.

Here I am working on both my 4th and 5th builds at the same time. If I look back at all the money I spent I could have purchased a Shop bot. But I would not have learned as much or had as much fun tinkering.

Each time I build I make the machine a little bigger. If I guage the difference between build 4 and build 5. I should have one the size of my house by next year. My biggest challenge is how to build the machine so it can fit into my shop.

That said CNC is a money pit. Not counting my laser the machines cost much more than your average shop equipment. These two machines cost me about $1500 each. My next build will cost about $3000. That does not even inculde the PC's, software and routers.

FYI my table saw was used to cut all the parts for these two builds. A jig saw was used to shape them, and a drill press used to cut the holes.

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-30-2010, 3:15 PM
Oh and one more thing. I wish I would have taken the $20,000 I have in my laser equipment and purchased a large CNC.

Gene Crain
11-30-2010, 3:30 PM
If you ask the same question "Table Saw or CNC" on the woodworking forums you will get drastily different answers.

As far as the CNC goes. I have to agree I think it is the machine I have the most fun with in my shop. The problem is I cought the CNC bug. I cant stop tinkering and building new machines. I have enough electrics to have two mahines up and running so I can leap frog with new builds.

Here I am working on both my 4th and 5th builds at the same time. If I look back at all the money I spent I could have purchased a Shop bot. But I would not have learned as much or had as much fun tinkering.

Each time I build I make the machine a little bigger. If I guage the difference between build 4 and build 5. I should have one the size of my house by next year. My biggest challenge is how to build the machine so it can fit into my shop.

That said CNC is a money pit. Not counting my laser the machines cost much more than your average shop equipment. These two machines cost me about $1500 each. My next build will cost about $3000. That does not even inculde the PC's, software and routers.

FYI my table saw was used to cut all the parts for these two builds. A jig saw was used to shape them, and a drill press used to cut the holes.

For 6K you can build a real steel machine that can handle a true production environment.

mechmate dot com

CNC may be a money pit for a hobby shop but in a custom shop they make you $$$ :eek:

Michael Simpson Virgina
11-30-2010, 4:09 PM
For 6K you can build a real steel machine that can handle a true production environment.

CNC may be a money pit for a hobby shop but in a custom shop they make you $$$ :eek:

Dont want to go down this path again. Im just not into that much metal working. (cutting,welding) As a DIY builder the Mechmate looks like it is the most dificult to build.

My next build will be made from 8020 aluminum. I can deal with cutting this as my Festool Kapex can cut aluminum like butter.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-30-2010, 6:59 PM

Hey Michael,

Ya but the $64,0000.00 question is ..................................................

What did you use for the green and Black Edging?
1-Paint,
2-manually applied edge banding or
3-on a contour edgebander?

Looks nice in the pic

Also out of curiosity ?
Why are you building 4 & 5 at the same time? Other than different functions or capabilities I would think that it would be better to focus on one to accomplish what you need (If 4 is larger than 5). Unless of course you plan to sell the earlier builds.
Just curious :confused:

Thanks and ...

james mcgrew
11-30-2010, 7:13 PM
mike those routers look great yet i am curious, is that aluminum angle for the rails?

Gene Crain
11-30-2010, 7:59 PM
[QUOTE=Michael Simpson Virgina;1571321]Dont want to go down this path again. Im just not into that much metal working. (cutting,welding) As a DIY builder the Mechmate looks like it is the most dificult to build.

oh ye of little faith...you could do it...

but kudos to you for building your machines! :D

Stuart A Reid
11-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Dont want to go down this path again. Im just not into that much metal working. (cutting,welding) As a DIY builder the Mechmate looks like it is the most dificult to build.

My next build will be made from 8020 aluminum. I can deal with cutting this as my Festool Kapex can cut aluminum like butter.

I'm also looking at the 8020 bolt together approach - DIY, rigid - but without welding.

I'm assuming my Rigid Chop Saw it also up to the task of trimming the 8020 to size?

Stuart A Reid
11-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I certainly find myself leaning towards the CNC Router - largely because I'm curious about the potential. I already know what I can do with a Table Saw...

As is usually the case, there no concensus - largely because everybody had different priorities and works differently. One of the joys of woodworking - there are many ways to solve a problem - any many new tools that you have to have to solve the next one.;)

Michael Simpson Virgina
12-01-2010, 1:42 AM
I'm also looking at the 8020 bolt together approach - DIY, rigid - but without welding.

I'm assuming my Rigid Chop Saw it also up to the task of trimming the 8020 to size?

Festool has an aluminum blade and the Kapex chop saw has variable speed. It was desined to cut material other than wood.

You can probably get a blade to cut aluminum for your saw.

Stuart A Reid
12-01-2010, 7:50 AM
...the Kapex chop saw has variable speed.

Sweet.....

Nicholas Bukky
12-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Yes but at 1300bucks for a chop saw you could also have a lot of other nice tools:D

james mcgrew
12-01-2010, 10:33 AM
nick i buy kapex (and i have two) for the same reason i have camaster cnc machines

Paul Johnstone
12-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Stuart

Well, for tables and dressers, I think a tablesaw would be better.
Super precision is not necessary to build those kinds of things.. some people even do it with hand tools. :) Sure, it's possible to use a CNC to rip a bunch of rails/styles for your dresser, and to cut your drawer fronts to size, but it's going to take a lot longer.

I am just getting started on CNC, but keep in mind, it takes time to draw out your cuts on CAD/CAM, secure the workpieces to the table, and the router cuts a lot slower.

In contrast, you set your tablesaw fence to 2" (or whatever) and rip away.

Now, if you want to do fancy carvings/inlays on your dresser then maybe the CNC is route to go first.

I just got finished doing a Joes CNC build. I must tell you that I way underestimated what it cost to build. Most of that was due to my own decisions to upgrade, but there's lots of hidden costs... If you don't have a drill press, chop saw, etc you need to buy one. If you want something more than the bare bones software, that's more money. Buying all the router bits is expensive too. If you want a rotary axis, that's more $$. Then, there's the time factor. I had very little free time. I am about 95% done, and it's taken me 8 months. I can cut now. I just want to point out that DIY CNC is cheaper than buying a commerical unit, but it's time consuming and still expensive. I am not sure what your time/money budget is... (Other guys have cranked out a DIY CNC for less time/money than me..)

I know this is long winded, but if I was you, I'd get the tablesaw/joiner/planer and start making stuff, unless you really think you'd enjoy the process of building a CNC. I really enjoyed it, but it really pushed back some other projects on the schedule.

Paul Johnstone
12-01-2010, 11:39 AM

Yep, I have a basic Dewalt chop saw.. It had no problem cutting 8020 and other aluminum I used for my build. Just use a regular carbide blade.

I bought a basic HF metal chopsaw for cutting the rails and other steel parts. It was adequate, not great, but fine for the few cuts that I needed.

Amr Hosni
12-06-2010, 4:49 PM
Speech synthesis :
Work on table saw Very limited .And the exact opposite with cnc mahine